• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Ponyo's' Harbor Protected from Reclamation by Ruling

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
now let's place our bets on when the first fire occurs.

seriously though, i didn't know it was based on a new place.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
Hardly new. If local government is anything like ours. the judge's ruling will overturned, or they will just move the bridge a little one way, or the other. Money talks.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote
If they really needed the bridge, then I hope it goes thru in the end.
genman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Japanese are fond of public works projects, aka government welfare, aka stimulus, aka pork barrel spending.

I was there earlier this year talking to a native kayak/mountain guide about all the terapods. These are huge concrete structures designed to protect shoreline in the case of a tsunami. In the name of safety, money goes to pouring and setting these structures pretty much everywhere. If the money isn't spent by the local government on these projects every year, local businesses and workers stand to lose.

It's not as if they have a growing population issue in Japan and require additional infrastructure in the country. Quite the opposite.

Japan's depressing in how much concrete is used on it and around it. It's often used in ways that echos the sentiment, "We need to destroy the village in order to save it."
Ralifar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
genman wrote:

Japan's depressing in how much concrete is used on it and around it. It's often used in ways that echos the sentiment, "We need to destroy the village in order to save it."

That is sadly the truth. If it has water in it be it stream, river, pond, or whatever then it's probably been concreted over. Even if you go to an area like a nature preserve or park then it's still concreted over, but disguised to look natural. Japan and the Japanese are all about nature...as long as it is strictly and rigidly controlled.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, all in all, I'm just glad that they decided not to build this bridge.

But~ like Mohawk52 said:
"If local government is anything like ours. the judge's ruling will overturned, or they will just move the bridge a little one way, or the other. Money talks."

Sad but true. TTwTT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1