• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, September 20-26

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mads0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:55 am Reply with quote
Oh nice, both Chibi Vampire and Yotsuba are on the list, no surprise really Very Happy
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:19 am Reply with quote
It's really good to see Fullmetal Alchemist at number 1, it might not be that popular online, but being popular online really doesn't mean a thing now does it.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
I wonder why volume 43 of naruto is still on the list? It's odd volume 43 and 45 are on the list but not 44.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
Given Yotsuba&'s publication history in the states, it sure feels good to see it made the list.
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
Hooray for Yotsuba! I will drink delicious milk in celebration!

(That's an inside joke for those that haven't read Yotsuba&! yet - in which case, why haven't you yet? Go! Read!!!)
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
FMA is definitely one of the deeper major Shonen series running right now but is incredibly well done and balanced for the most part with action, comedy and its darker elements, so it shouldn't be surprising on its popularity. It's also barely under borderline mainstream popular. It's western flair appeals to a western audience (western meaning beyond Asian countries) but the mixing of science and relgious overtone (which some feel uncomfortable with), keeps it from joining series like Bleach and Naruto in the US in terms of roping in non-otaku types. It's mainstream amongst otakus but not as mainstream to everyone else like DBZ, pokemon, or Naruto level.

Which is kind of a good thing really. Make FMA fans and otakus still feel like they have their own little secret gem and you generally get less of the "I hate [insert series] cause its popular now" bandwagon type people.

And yeah Yotsuba! I was so happy when I saw this at my bookstore. I took it right off the cart before they even put the first ones on the shelves. Can't wait for Volume 7.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
For me, the big surprise of the list is Vampire Kisses. The third volume of an OLE debuting at #9? That's not something you see very often. I guess it reflects the current popularity of vampire-related fiction.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
I wonder why volume 43 of naruto is still on the list?

You should be able to tell why 43 is still selling just by the cover.spoiler[ The Itachi vs. Sasuke fight. Though, I thought it was step down overall compared to the Sasuke vs. Deidara fight. ]

And 44 is mostly a training volume, while 45 sets up a huge fight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
Naruto stays on the best seller list after how many weeks? It's sold over 4 million tankoubon here.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Nice to see a multitude of manga on the best seller list.

It's...a manga best seller list.

Anyway, I don't understand the popularity of Chibi Vampire. I've been reading it for a review and it makes me want to bash my head against the wall....

I also wonder if Vampire Kisses is good, or if it's just bouncing off the popularity of vampires lately. Not to hate on OEL but...well vamps are crazy popular right now.
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:
I also wonder if Vampire Kisses is good, or if it's just bouncing off the popularity of vampires lately. Not to hate on OEL but...well vamps are crazy popular right now.

I was talked into buying volume 1 of Vampire Kisses. It was average at best in my opinion. The drawings were typical OLE shoujo style, competently done but not worth noting beyond that. The characters' personalities didn't grab my attention. The plot was along the lines of a so-so television episode. Since I never felt compelled to buy volume 2, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than a big vampire fan.
xgemina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:
...Anyway, I don't understand the popularity of Chibi Vampire. I've been reading it for a review and it makes me want to bash my head against the wall....

I thought Chibi Vampire was cute in a vacuous sort of way. Definitely not heavy reading. My young nieces (5 of them: 8-14), OTOH, love the series and it ranks pretty high on the what they want from their uncle for birthdays and christmas. Along with others like Her Majesty's Dog and Ouran High School Host Club.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Chibi Vampire is one of those acquired taste manga. A reason why it may have a certain level of success here is because it falls under the ecchi/fan service category. I read Love Hina sold over 500,000 tankoubon back in 2002-2003. This proves ecchi/moe/loli/harem/fan service titles can sell well here.
aluria

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Fruits Basket hanging in there. Sadly I've yet to pick up the final volume but I'm super excited to read the ending!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
It is nuts how one volume (and not even the latest one at that) of Naruto can remain on this list for nearly six months. From reading the posts here, it is easy to see why it has remained, but still. It is saddening to see that vastly superior shonen manga like Kekkaishi never make this list though.

On the other hand, my ever-lessening faith US manga fans has been restored somewhat. Yotsuba&! making this list for two straight weeks is joyous sight to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2