• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Confirms Plans to Publish Manga in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that this means, at long last, we'll finally get Hitoshi Ashinano Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou published in English.

I can easily understand why Studio Proteus passed on this one in the era when they were still trying to publish monthly issues, as the story is very slow-moving and, if you're not taking the time to absorb the artwork, you can read through most chapters in a minute.

It's kind of a travesty that nobody else has picked Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou up in the direct-to-trade-paperback era, especially with similarly languid titles like Aria having been licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Come on Sailor Moon! I loaned out most of my original flipped Tokyopop editions years ago and the $@#^!es never returned them. I'd love to own them unflipped, and all the better if they have the anniversary covers.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
geishageek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they will kick off soon with their Beck releases. That manga was so enjoyable to read when Tokyopop was publishing it. I hope that is one of the titles they release in a faster pace schedule.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
My GOD, I hope they start releasing Beck and Life again.

And maybe they'll stop being jerks about the license and release Sailor Moon, too.
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm hoping that this means, at long last, we'll finally get Hitoshi Ashinano Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou published in English.

I wouldn't bet on it. Even in manga loving France, YKK has never been published, despite being a market with lots of small publishers and lot of manga genres. YKK has only been published in Taiwan, afaik. I suppose Kodansha is aware that YKK is a niche title and doesn't want to sell the rights to foreign markets. Or, what's rather unprobable, the author himself doesn't want a foreign language edition of YKK. Whatever the reasons are, I gave up hope for an official french or german translated YKK release years ago.

I once spoke with a french publisher directly about the reason as for why YKK hasn't been released until these days in France or licensed by his company. He told me: "Well, the art, the characters faces are too round. People usually don't like that kind of style. Manga like this simply don't sell well, voilà". An argument I found strange, because the same company released Barasuis Strawberry Marshmallow.

Last edited by Swissman on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Come ooooon LIFE. Please LIFE. I'm begging you Kodansha.

I've been waiting with baited breath for volume 10 to come out. I really hope it's one of the ones they'll bring out.

Also, Sailor Moon would be nice.
yblees

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh man!
I wish for YAMATO Waki's "Tale of Genji" - released properly in English, not as bilingual manga....
PLEASE PLEASE!
DPX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
bout damn time!

Now, I just need to hear their opinion on editing titles...
balisongnet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I need some clarification, "back catalog", does that mean titles they already have in Japan? English is not my mother tongue so... Very Happy
Cmon kodansha, more Tezuka!!!
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if they could make a deal with Del Ray to get a U.S copy of Weekly Shonen Magazine started here? I mean it would be a monthly release deal but I would buy it. I mean they got Fairy Tail, Negima and Zetsubou Sensei
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Come on Sailor Moon! I loaned out most of my original flipped Tokyopop editions years ago and the $@#^!es never returned them. I'd love to own them unflipped, and all the better if they have the anniversary covers.

Im also hoping for Sailor Moon. I never got around to buying them when they were first translated.
alangaruku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
please Sailor Moon! Very Happy
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
why cant some one bring back Gunslinger Girl
operanime

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
After Kodanclub closed, I worried that certain titles wouldn't be made available in English.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I want my Sailor Moon please D:

my Tokyopop editions can't hold out much longer! some volumes are completely out of their binding, and if i drop it all the pages fly out :<
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3