• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Voltron Animated Series Reportedly 'Imminent'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
I know that I watched Voltron as a kid and loved it, but now it seems more like the Defender of Cheese rather than the Defender of the Universe. I still like the basic idea, but it's so cheesy that it's scary. It's definitely little kid fare.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
People still care about this stuff? Voltron and Robotech should have been left in the 80's.
PMDR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
I could see remaking high-brow literary stuff, or remaking it to show off some new way of animating something... but when you get right down to it, Go Lion was about watching a robot behead a beast monster of the week, with all the brutal blood and guts and fun that entailed. And it succeeded brilliantly at it with all of it's cheap 80's anime styling glory.

For what it was, it was a masterwork.

It doesn't exactly NEED to be remade. There's nothing missing from the original version.

Beheading the beast monster isn't going to look any better in ultra 3D (or other gimmick of the day), and nowadays they won't even show the blood and guts and brutality anyway. It'd be a remake that is less then the original.

WEP: please find a new way to make money. Please.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
I guess it might be worthwhile if it were to the original what, say, Transformers Animated was to G1. Truthfully, I think the standards for kids' cartoons are a lot higher nowadays than they were in the 1980s.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
So it's another Voltron series, not another Golion? How are they going to manage to do that, take another entirely different show and transform it, or is it going to be an American production (well, as American as American-aired cartoons get, but I guess I can say the same about Japanese ones)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
Another fine example of exploiting 80's kid's pop culture.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:31 am Reply with quote
Is not like everybody else is not doing it... ask Michael Bay. Rolling Eyes

And we all know that We Love Giant Robots!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:31 am Reply with quote
Sounds like they want to pump out a cartoon and put it on TV to make Voltron popular with the kids again. Then they can release the movie and make even more money. Not to mention sell lots of toys and Voltron toothpaste.

However, I absolutely love Voltron and watched it all the time when it played on CN. The weird sequel(?) that was done with computer animation was not very good though.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
Voltron, and anyone who bought that instead of Tekaman Blade and GaoGaiGar, can kindly deposit themselves in the nearest dumpster.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So it's another Voltron series, not another Golion? How are they going to manage to do that, take another entirely different show and transform it, or is it going to be an American production (well, as American as American-aired cartoons get, but I guess I can say the same about Japanese ones)?

It probably won't be that hard. There was a comic mini-series that was based off the US version. I perfer the US version solely for the music they used. That and Louie Armstrong were they main reasons I learned the trumpet when I was younger (former band geek warning!). Oh, and I guess I like the names better. I never realized they all went with nicknames in the japanese version until recently. What was up with that?

Honestly I don't mind the remake if its done. I would enjoy it if the characters got fleshed out more and would like to see more of a fusion of the 2 storylines if possible. Meaning that one guy dies rather then is injured and no car voltron. That was just bad.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Voltron, and anyone who bought that instead of Tekaman Blade and GaoGaiGar, can kindly deposit themselves in the nearest dumpster.

Sir, some of us didn't have a choice when Voltron, Robotech, Tranzor Z, Battle of the Planets, Gigantor, Star Blazers, Speed Racer, Star Birds, Magnos: The Robot, Force Five and Teknoman among other were on TV on the 70's and 80's and 90's.

I guess most of us anime fans have embraced the original version when they were available and may I remind you that not all of those have been available in R1.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
I may want to give this a try because Voltron might have been my very first anime I ever saw. However, that was when I was preschool I think.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
Depending on how they do for Lotor and Allura, I'll watch it.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'll bite. Where is the "new" in relation to the provided links?

All I've seen was that a cable airing of "an" animated series is imminent.

No word if the series is actually new, or just a remastered delivery of the old classic.

But assuming it is a new series, here's to hoping it rids the episodic delivery of Lotor whining about the princess, A Robeast delivered, The crew says 'Form Blazing Sword', to the destruction of said Robeast.

I beg of the creators. Do something original with Voltron. The freakin' thing deserves respect.

On a side note: the other Voltron was scrapped as they determined the vehicles were crushed long ago, outliving their usefulness at getting a mere 9mpg.

Remember this the next time you pick up a soda can.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Sir, some of us didn't have a choice when Voltron, Robotech, Tranzor Z, Battle of the Planets, Gigantor, Star Blazers, Speed Racer, Star Birds, Magnos: The Robot, Force Five and Teknoman among other were on TV on the 70's and 80's and 90's.

I guess most of us anime fans have embraced the original version when they were available and may I remind you that not all of those have been available in R1.
You have a choice to not buy that piece of trash now. The past is one thing and the present is quite the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2