• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Doin' a Daryl Roll

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
The question about the girls being raped reminded of Yukinari's girl rash in Girls Bravo. The Anime World Order I have visited a few times. If you want to find reviews of obscure/rare/old anime, this is one of those places.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Another fantastic podcast. Daryl really knows how to go on, but he's excited about it and it makes it all the more interesting... not that the cynical edge of Zac and Justin isn't thoroughly entertaining either.

For more fanservice-less yuri, Zac, there's always last season's Aoi Hana.

I can't believe I'm part of the old generation now that I'm in my twenties, and I completely agree about fan conduct. Pisses me off going to conventions and I'm surrounded by a bunch of high school kids who think they're hilarious. Next impromptu Caramelldansen that blocks the hallway, I'm plowing them all down.

I also had no idea Kenichi had done so well. Where do you guys get the information that says that?

Finally, thank you thank you thank you for that audition clip. That was phenomenally awful.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh god the audition tape....... Laughing

Of course that still doesn't make want to watch that hentai; isn't that particular one have a lot of scat involved?
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Alot of interesting stuff this week guys ^^

I particularly liked the discussion about getting newer anime fans into the older shows. Because I'm really into alot of old shows that'll probably never be licensed in America unless R1 companies suddenly decided to just throw money away (Alot of old shoujo titles in particular like Creamy Mami or CandyCandy) but the only people I seem to find, who care, are people who live in Europe or Latin America where it was dubbed. :/

I don't listen to any podcasts ('cept ANNcast) but it seemed like Daryl is more into masculine old anime? Which is fine of course, but, are there any good podcasts that focus on old girly anime? I know I'm in probably the smallest anime niche here, but there has to be someone out there who talks about it, right?
Taco-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I liked how you talked about some of the new shows!
I watched Kobato. I liked it, but I'm a teen girl who likes moe in reasonable amounts which I feel this show has.
Nyan Koi is on my list. I think I will watch it now.
Kimi ni Todoke is also new this week. Pretty cute first episode and I liked it too, but it's still a typical shoujo anime like Bokura Ga Ita and Kare Kano.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Daryl Surat gave a fantastic presentation on old shonen and new ("neo") shonen manga and anime at Otakon. Old shonen manga (one example: some manga literally called "Violence Jack") used to be unbelievably, mind-blowingly violent, and he gave examples. He also talked about how in recent times shonen heroes have been prettied up and made less ultra-violent in order to appeal to the female fans. I hope he gives this presentation at Anime Expo, because it was really educational and very entertaining.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
"I'm allergic to..self-important...wizards."

So I take it Muhyo and Roji ain't your cup of tea, either? Wink

Quote:
"The [Tegami Bachi] comics are beautiful.

Wow, you can stand the blatant moe in that series?

Quote:
"..who unironically goes to Uwe Boll movies..."

I did with House of the Dead, but it's kind of dumb to expect much from that one, if you've ever played the game.

Quote:
"You've read the [Golgo] manga?"

The guy running the Toasty Frog site also had articles on the singles published in the 80s.

Quote:
"I don't think [Initial D's] been proven to be unpopular in the States."

If it's good enough for Justin Lin to remake, I guess it's good enough for the rest of us.

jsevakis:
Quote:
CLAMP stuff usually leaves me cold.[/url]

It leaves me bored.

Quote:
"I've had people from Japan tell me that nobody buys Fist of the North Star stuff anymore."

Jake from Raijin told me that no one buys Fist of the Blue Sky. But that person might be right, 'cus I've seen more of an emphasis on Hara's new children's comic with an ogre on his site lately, than his manly stuff.

Quote:
"he showed it to Tomino, and Tomino burst out laughing."

Hojo had a similar reaction when I asked him to sign the dvd sleeve for the Jackie Chan City HUnter @ BAAF '03.

Daryl: More importantly, did you see Postal? Laughing

Quote:
"Who here has never seen Akira? And about half the crowd will raise their hand."

WTF? You can get it cheap on Geneon's leftover dvds and updated on Bandai's BDs. Plus, you'd figure there'd be more interest after that Kanye video....

Quote:
"Blu-Ray which I highly recommend"

Does it have a better transfer than the Geneon version?

Quote:
"You don't like Cyber City?"

Seriously. If there's a Kawajiri anime you should be hating, it's Bio-Hunter. And maybe Birdy, too.

As for me, the best "worst" show has gotta be Key the Metal Idol.

Quote:
"Rape is hilarious, but only as a joke."

Ever heard a certain NSFW George Carlin sketch?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
nice episode, great job with the podcast so far. I love how you guys hate most of everything, which is sort of how i feel towards this season so far. Its getting to the point where i won't even watch mediocre stuff anymore, which means it has the literally be one of the greatest things ever for me to finish it, but i digress, great episode look forward to more.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
That audition tape was hilarious.
I have to say I thought I was the only person who didn't like Tsubasa. I started to dislike it so much after a point that it couldn't be on in the background if I had the funimation channel on and wasn't paying attention. I'm the person who can keep on Laguna Beach reruns in the background and not even care.

On the other hand Inital D is a guilty pleasure of mine. I used to watch it on IA TV and I just thought it was silly and fun and entertaining. I mean yeah I want Toradora and Bakemonogatari as much as anyone else but seriously Inital D is going to have to make up for the money Funi is going to lose on Strike Witches and Linebarrels.
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Some interesting thoughts about podcasting in there. I just thought I'd chime in some additional first hand experience myself.

Show Lengths- Yea, I agree long shows are a bit to listen to. If a show goes beyond the 2 hour mark or has multi part episodes(without some rhyme or reason to it) and that goes for any podcast I happen to listen to. If anything, things get repetitive, off-topic or just becomes exhausting to listen to.

Also, I find that most podcasts that shorter shows are also far more organized and cohesive then those that aren't. You can really tell the organized shows from the non-organized shows. This opinion is for all podcasts, not necessarily anime podcasts.

Too Many Podcasts?- Yes and no. I agree with that sentence. Yes in the sense that there is a lot of similar anime podcasts out there. Its not just anime but there are other niche hobbies out there with similar over saturation in the podcast department. Is that bad? No. This gives people a wide variety of shows to listen to, from review podcasts to otaku culture podcasts to shows that cover cutting edge anime news to shows that interview personalities in the industry.

Here's where the no comes in. If there is one thing that is missing in the anime podcasting community it is video. Not a whole heck of a lot of good video anime podcasts out there and many podfade after a few episodes which is sad. FUNimaiton Update was among one of my favorite video podcasts about anime which sadly podfaded. There was also Anime TV which wasn't nearly as good if you ask me. Then again my examples were industry made as well.

Con Coverage- Yea, there is sadly a small bit of podcasts out there who put something cruddy together in order to grab a press pass to get free entry to conventions. Its very sad to see people who do this. However, many conventions are a little more rigid with their press standards as of late.

As for large amounts of podcasters in attendance at conventions, I don't think its all about just sitting in industry panels, live blogging and abusing twitter. Many, like myself, go in order to promote their podcasts. Some more then others. In my particular case I film video coverage, record a live show, and even hand out small pieces of merch(buttons and cards). As Daryl said, word of mouth is the strongest advertisement fora podcast and that means talking with people, being in the forefront to get them interested in what you're doing.

As mentioned before, cons usually get over covered but I have one example where a convention was exceedingly under covered. The first 21+ anime convention, Providence Anime Conference, back in 2008 had very low amounts of coverage in the blogasphere and podcasting. The only major blog covering the event was Anime on DVD and the only podcast covering the event was Super Happy Anime Fun Time. This was an instance where the con staff was able to look back at this coverage and see what went right and what went wrong. I'd say your major conventions such as Anime Expo, New York Anime Festival and Otakon are going to have your major 'press' coverage. However, sometimes coverage of the lower populated conventions is a better draw for people to listen in to. After all if someone wants to know what happened at one of the major cons they'll just read ANN.

As Daryl said, a personal touch to convention coverage is more interesting then simply reading a list of news to a panel and having them give you thoughts. While covering NYAF, we probably talked more about the pre-con and post-con stuff then the actual news that dropped at the convention. If anything, coverage of fan made panels and other non news events only proves that podcast and even blog coverage to lesser known conventions is a draw to people who may not be aware at the cool things that go on at conventions. If anything lesser conventions should be looking to podcasters to try and elevate their numbers a little by having first hand reports of cool events that happen at their con.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents... which apparently turned into a quarter before long...
Maur

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
I felt kind of bad for Daryl. He did take it pretty well even though they essentially would tell him to shut up and/or stop boring them. I think maybe Zac enjoys being a dick a little too much :p
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
Maur wrote:
I felt kind of bad for Daryl. He did take it pretty well even though they essentially would tell him to shut up and/or stop boring them. I think maybe Zac enjoys being a dick a little too much :p

Daryl knows we respect him tremendously and were just having some fun.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
i don't get how you can complain about the sub translations on CR then say fansubs have no QC :\.

you guys just brought up cliche arguments against fansubs that aren't hardly even applicable anymore...

yeah there are speedsubs (lol, crunchyroll) out there that cut out QC to get the product out faster, but when groups aim for archiving quality, they don't make mistakes.

good groups these days don't even use karaoke, TL notes, or leave anything un-subbed, because of the bashing all that gets from none/anti-fansub viewers.

you say people are drawn to the typesetting, and they naively think that makes it a better translation.. i dunno about that, but typesetting isn't a bad thing. typesetting is good. i don't get how you think translating whatever Japanese text is on screen, and showing the translated sub at the bottom, mixed in with the conversation subs, is a good thing.

when two people are talking, and there's some sign and some random out of place word just pops onto the same lines with the conversation, it just throws the whole scene. who would think that's acceptable? i don't care if you typeset the translation onto the actual sign, but you should at least put it at the top of the screen or something. anything but with the conversation text, especially while people are actually talking.

Justin, i don't speak Japanese. i don't know how to translate. and i definitely don't know anything about how the industry does subtitling work. i dunno how you were with your subs, or what kind of excellent flaw-less quality control you had. but you have to agree that when you're subbing shows you don't even wanna watch, for a paycheck, you are *probably* not going to do as good of a job on it, as someone who's doing it because they want to. as someone who wants to have a perfect release because they care about the show and what their peers think.

i don't even know how many times i've seen dvd subs with an L where an I should be. i dunno if it's your font, or what you're doing. but all i know is that when i watch the subs there is clearly an L. and the grammatical errors and typos.. you guys can not honestly believe these subtitles have better quality control than fansubs, can you?

-

but yeah, good anncast this week. i liked to finally hear you guys talk about shows that are currently airing ^^.
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
when you're subbing shows you don't even wanna watch, for a paycheck, you are *probably* not going to do as good of a job on it, as someone who's doing it because they want to.

You just insulted every human being on planet earth who has a work ethic and pride in doing a good job.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
i don't get how you can complain about the sub translations on CR then say fansubs have no QC :\.

Easy. CR has questionable quality control. Fansubs also have questionable quality control. Fansub groups might have less typos, since they have more people looking over them. Pros doing speedsubs have access to the Japanese scripts (usually) and the licensors approving them, so they interpret the Japanese more correctly. Both still have problems. Some more than others.

Quote:
yeah there are speedsubs (lol, crunchyroll) out there that cut out QC to get the product out faster, but when groups aim for archiving quality, they don't make mistakes.
Justin, i don't speak Japanese.

So basically you say there are no mistakes, but since you don't know Japanese you really have no idea. Aren't we brilliant.

I can certainly tell you that even these days it's not uncommon for me to watch a fansub and I'll literally go, "where the hell did THAT come from? That's nowhere NEAR what they just said!"While I certainly have issues with some pro subtitles, it's exceedingly rare for them to be THAT far off. I'm guessing that you, like most fansub fans who don't know Japanese, just see a word you know here and there that matches up to your limited knowledge, and assume it's perfect.

Quote:
but you have to agree that when you're subbing shows you don't even wanna watch, for a paycheck, you are *probably* not going to do as good of a job on it, as someone who's doing it because they want to. as someone who wants to have a perfect release because they care about the show and what their peers think.

ROFL

I'm going to make a prediction here: you are quite young and have never had a job beyond a shitty retail one, if that. The adult ideal is to have a job that pays you and that you can take pride in. Adults that have a passion and have achieved some level of consistent quality know how to tune out how much you enjoy the material and do the best job you can all the time. That's what it means to be an adult: to try really really hard on everything, no matter if you like it or not.

Whereas if you are a fan of a show and have nobody to answer to, there is a temptation to put your own personal stank on it.

Quote:
i don't even know how many times i've seen dvd subs with an L where an I should be. i dunno if it's your font, or what you're doing. but all i know is that when i watch the subs there is clearly an L. and the grammatical errors and typos.. you guys can not honestly believe these subtitles have better quality control than fansubs, can you?

I think you're probably exaggerating how often it happens, but I am in 100% agreement that a professional release has no excuse for bad QC. DVD format limitations are one thing, but when you can't even match the quality of a mediocre fansub release, you really need to either learn to care about your product or get out of the business. I have no patience for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5