• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Hard Corps

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
this is all I have to say about the Fist of the North Star game: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????????????

With that out of the way, Zero in TvC is rad (though I am still disappointed that DMC is not represented)
Vent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
this is all I have to say about the Fist of the North Star game: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???????????
B...because Fist of the North Star is still pretty popular and has lots of people getting beaten up, thus making it perfect for a Musou game?
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
this is all I have to say about the Fist of the North Star game: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????????????

Because it worked so well for the Gundam games.

Seriously, The Dynasty Warrior Gundam games are some of the most fun I have had in a Gundam or Dynasty Warriors game in awhile.

This system should work excellently for the Hokuto series, since they can finally justify an overpowered single person killing upwards of thousands at a time. I don't mean Hokuto, either, I mean Dynasty Warriors.

It makes the most since because Kenshiro does kill alot of people.

The real question is, who will be Hokuto Musou's Lu Bu?

My vote is for Raoh, for obvious reasons.

Also, it is unlikely this will make it to America, so I for one will be importing it (after a fair amount of time, whether or not see if it gets some sort of domestic release, unlikely as it may be).
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
As far as the New Musou game goes, you could slap any popular anime title on it, and would still be very generic.

Quote:
I am reluctant to admit that I don't remember what Piccolo is getting revenge for.

I'd imagine the title comes from the fact that Demon King Piccolo once tried to take over the world years before Son Goku's adventures, but was sealed away by Roshi's Master, Mutaito. Thus, his revenge on the world and its conquest. The original Japanese title would translate to English along the lines of "Grand Adventure Tenkaichi" or Grand Tenkaichi Adventure" with "Tenkaichi" meaning "Strongest Under The Heavens". My Japanese isn't exactly perfect, but that's what I interpret. I'm pretty excited for the game because it's not an annual DBZ fighter and yeah, it's the first time Dragon Ball's getting a full 3-D graphics treatment (with the exception of Dragon Ball DS/Origins).

Last edited by Son-kun on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'd like to think they can make up for Ar Tonellico II's shortcomings by really working hard on ATIII, but my hopes aren't that high (Mana Khemia 2 proved to have quite a few serious bugs in the end). The game does look good from what magazine scans have made it to the net, but the story is proving to be quite a bit different from what implied in the ATII. spoiler[It seemed like key players from the first two towers were going to be making their way to the third tower (based on Cocona and Jacqli's endings) and a mention that the final tower was dominated by Reyvateils leaving a lot of people to think that Cocona would be the main character for the third game since she and both fight and craft song magic.] However, that's not what we're seeing in the shots of the new game. There is still a male lead and we aren't seeing any familiar faces this far. These games have had pretty large character bases so it's not too late and we've only see one male character out of the nine(?) in the magazine scans so who knows. One thing I've read is that the Reyvateils on this tower have split personalities, hopefully that doesn't mean a lot of tsunderes.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
As far as the New Musou game goes, you could slap any popular anime title on it, and would still be very generic.

Quote:
I am reluctant to admit that I don't remember what Piccolo is getting revenge for.

I'd imagine the title comes from the fact that Demon King Piccolo once tried to take over the world years before Son Goku's adventures, but was sealed away by Roshi's Master, Mutaito. Thus, his revenge on the world and its conquest. The original Japanese title would translate to English along the lines of "Grand Adventure Tenkaichi" or Grand Tenkaichi Adventure" with "Tenkaichi" meaning "Strongest Under The Heavens". My Japanese isn't exactly perfect, but that's what I interpret. I'm pretty excited for the game because it's not an annual DBZ fighter and yeah, it's the first time Dragon Ball's getting a full 3-D graphics treatment (with the exception of Dragon Ball DS/Origins).

While I agree that the Warriors series' of games are pretty repetative, the uniqueness of the Gundam games made me a fan. The game is more Gundam than it is Warriors. The amount of things to in those games are amazing. It took me 80 hours to finish the first, and, currently at 95 hours, I still have not finished the second.

So, while you my easily pass these anime inspired versions over, i for one will buy them and enjoy as they are supposed to be enjoyed by fans of the series they're incorperating.

Also, I find it funny that, after your comment on Hokuto Musou you actually show interest in a Dragon Ball game. The irony is what makes me laugh. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
I dunno. If you're gonna make a Dynasty Warriors-style game with a Hara property, why not Keiji?

Anyway, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who didn't like Zero's look in that spin-off. And it's kind of appropriate that they make a game w/ Casshern, since every Mega Man since X ripped off that anime.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
By the way, still no mention of Dungeon Fighter Online? I ran a search so I don't think I missed it...ANN's gotten the press releases on it, at least. It's a Korean MMO that's in open beta in North America right now and it already got an anime adaptation earlier this year (Slap Up Party! Arad Senki), so I think it deserves mention for that at the least...not that I have any clue how bad or good the anime is, or care. More interestingly, it's an entirely 2D game patterned after arcade beat 'em ups - Capcom's especially, of course - that incorporates MMO gameplay tropes and party play. It's one of those "free to play, but there's stuff you can buy with real money" deals (although quite generously, you can actually buy sought after dress-up avatar items with in game money from people reselling them).

Just a thought.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'd like to think they can make up for Ar Tonellico II's shortcomings by really working hard on ATIII, but my hopes aren't that high (Mana Khemia 2 proved to have quite a few serious bugs in the end). The game does look good from what magazine scans have made it to the net, but the story is proving to be quite a bit different from what implied in the ATII. spoiler[It seemed like key players from the first two towers were going to be making their way to the third tower (based on Cocona and Jacqli's endings) and a mention that the final tower was dominated by Reyvateils leaving a lot of people to think that Cocona would be the main character for the third game since she and both fight and craft song magic.] However, that's not what we're seeing in the shots of the new game. There is still a male lead and we aren't seeing any familiar faces this far. These games have had pretty large character bases so it's not too late and we've only see one male character out of the nine(?) in the magazine scans so who knows. One thing I've read is that the Reyvateils on this tower have split personalities, hopefully that doesn't mean a lot of tsunderes.

Emerje

Well each Revyateil has always had some kind of split personality which has been proven in Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 especially in their Cosmospheres. Like for instance Ar Tonelico 2spoiler[Luca went from a nice, sweet, gentle girl to pretty much like a psycho when it came to Cloche even almost tried to kill her a few times and then when they find out that Luca was the Holy Maiden Cloche and Cloche was actually Leyka who Luca has been searching for ever since the Grand Bell Knights took her away making Luca think Leyka was dead, Luca became all sweet all over again until she strangles Croix in the Cosmosphere when Croix was telling her the truth on how wrong her thinking is.] Unless you mean a different kind of split personality.

Anyways though as you can tell Ar Tonelico is my favorite RPG series and am so happy that it's a PS3 exclusive with better graphics, more hymmnos music to enjoy, and well I can't be any happier for another installment in the series even if it took like 2 years. Though I guess that's to be expected with Atelier Rorona being the guinea pig for Gust to test themselves if they could make a PS3 game and that turned out pretty much flawlessly and I expect the same for Ar Tonelico III.
redcomet15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I must succeed!

Oh you glorious man. I knew there was a reason why you were my favorite columnist on this site.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

With that out of the way, Zero in TvC is rad (though I am still disappointed that DMC is not represented)

If you mean having Dante in TvC it would be interesting but I think it's because DMC has never been on the Nintendo Wii. Like for instance probably the reason why that Dead Rising guy Frank West is in it because of the remake of Dead Rising for the Wii called Chop Till You Drop. If TvC was on PS3 or Xbox 360 or both you can almost guarantee Dante would be in it because of Devil May Cry 4 or even Nero. Unless it's a wait till like Devil May Cry 5 is announced.

And as for the Fist of the North Star game I say why not?
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
Anyone excited about Fist of the North Star owes it to themselves to check out the underappreciated PS2 gem God Hand. A wonderful game that makes you gasp at the awesome stunts and laugh at the hilariously stupid humor. And then kills you without a shred of mercy.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:03 am Reply with quote
First, thank-you Todd for taking a moment to acknowledge how enjoyable Time of Eve was. I loved every moment of it, except for the several month long intervals between each short (gah). The music, the humor and the honesty in the show's drama is what made it a winner for me.

I'll be thrilled if Directions and Yasuhiro Yoshiura are able to bankroll a sequel. In the meantime, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that someone in North America will license it and release it on DVD. But considering the state of the industry and how wary some companies feel about niche titles, I won't be holding my breath.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
By the way, still no mention of Dungeon Fighter Online? I ran a search so I don't think I missed it...ANN's gotten the press releases on it, at least. It's a Korean MMO that's in open beta in North America right now and it already got an anime adaptation earlier this year (Slap Up Party! Arad Senki), so I think it deserves mention for that at the least...not that I have any clue how bad or good the anime is, or care. More interestingly, it's an entirely 2D game patterned after arcade beat 'em ups - Capcom's especially, of course - that incorporates MMO gameplay tropes and party play. It's one of those "free to play, but there's stuff you can buy with real money" deals (although quite generously, you can actually buy sought after dress-up avatar items with in game money from people reselling them).

Just a thought.

I play it. Lots of fun but does fall into the standard throes of repetitiveness that plagues other F2P MMORPGS. However, the teamwork aspect of the game is absolutely amazing. I highly recommend this.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
Unless you mean a different kind of split personality.

I read one report --and it could have completely mistranslated something it was reading or hearing-- that said the girls could change their personalities in order to craft and use different types of magic. I'm guessing it's connected to the costumes this time around, maybe this time instead of just altering stats it also alters their personality and song set?

I have to admit, I'm a little sad to see these games going 3D. I'm a long time fan of 2D RPGs and NIS has been my favorite company for some time now as a result (despite their flaws). Hopefully this isn't marking an end to the 2D era (though people have been saying that for over a decade now).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3