• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - What a Wonderful Gundam

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I saw a couple of volumes of Eiken in a used bookstore recently. I flipped through for 5 seconds and was disgusted.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Eiken seems like the kind of thing that's funny in theory. The idea of something so ridiculous existing is funny, but actually reading it is another story. I never read the manga (never will), but that's the experience I had with the OVA. Watching it was absolute torture, but thinking back on it I can't help but laugh at it. It's not entertaining while you watch it, but somehow the knowledge that it exists is.
Rij

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly, who has the nerve to cut things off right when it's getting good?

Eiji Otsuka, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service volume 6. It's three volumes later and he still hasn't resolved that!
giascle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Eiken seems like the kind of thing that's funny in theory. The idea of something so ridiculous existing is funny, but actually reading it is another story.

This. I understand what they were going for, but they failed. Very, very badly.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Gundam manga never seemed like a good idea to me either; however I will get around to reading my copy of 00F one day, since I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to side stories.

I'm glad to see that Yozakura Quartet has taken a step up from the D+ you gave volume 1, Carlo Smile I haven't read volume 5 yet, but I look forward to it in spite of the evidence against it you listed. I like a lot of the slice-of-life stuff Yasuda works in -- although I agree it gets in the way of the story some time, so it's a bi-polar appreciation (but Yasuda said in the volume 4 extras that he intends to retain slice-of-life element, so love it or hate it it's hear to stay I guess).

At least the art's as good as ever, backgrounds or not.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is no good anime worth watching this season.

What about Seitokai no Ichizon (you gave it a 4.5/5) and Darker than Black 2 (a 4)?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is no good anime worth watching this season. So why not curl up with a good book? Like the ones below

With the exception of the Final season of Inuyasha, I completely agree with you Mr. Santos. I watched two episodes about that cat anime and while I liked the first episode, the second episode was a gigantic let down.

I was worried that the series would become a harem and based off the actual manga and second episode, it will. A shame really, because eliminate all the romance, the show could actually be something some what original.

As for the manga this week, really nothing I am interested in.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:

What about Seitokai no Ichizon (you gave it a 4.5/5) and Darker than Black 2 (a 4)?

Obviously he was lying before, in order to appease our Japanese corporate overlords.

Why leave out What a Wonderful World! vol. 2? Didn't it come out at the same time?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Why leave out What a Wonderful World! vol. 2? Didn't it come out at the same time?

Aye, it did - I ordered both volumes from Book Depository last Saturday - but if this review is anything to go by, Viz only sent out review copies of the first volume.
Rednal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
@giascle: I must disagree with you. Eiken does precisely what it was going for; excessively perverted cheap entertainment. I stated in my review that I've read hentai that were less perverted. I still hold this to be true. I also prefer Eiken because it's honestly funny. If you can get past sensibility and logic, and just read it for what it is, it's honestly entertaining. It takes time-honored cliches many fans enjoy and moves them up a few notches. It isn't for everybody, that I agree with. Anime hyper People tend to really like it or really despise it; I haven't encountered many people who are in-between, and I deeply hope that fanatical moral organizations never, ever become aware of its existence, since while it has almost everything good to be found in manga, it also has pretty much everything that's bad (especially in the realm of body-proportions; the story itself isn't actually all that bad; can't rate it higher than 'normal' even if you're feeling generous, but there's some times when you're reading that you might find yourself actually caring what happens next, and for a series like this, that's one heck of an achievement).

@bahamut623: Don't knock it until you've read it. Anime hyper You cannot fully appreciate how ridiculous Eiken is until you've read at least a few volumes of the manga. The OVA doesn't come close.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
ultimafullmetal wrote:
I saw a couple of volumes of Eiken in a used bookstore recently. I flipped through for 5 seconds and was disgusted.

I've seen Eiken and its downright a laugh in my view. Maybe cause i like over the top fanservice. but i still like it and if anyone likes over the top series like Battle Athletes/Ikkitousen and girls bravo, you'll like Eiken.

Also kinda disagree with the 00 review slightly. I just read it. Sure it the storyline aint up to snuff but it's still not gonna matter when you'll be too busy how this art is the most decent for a gundam series in a long while. Not to mentioned the intrugue on could this happen in the late future,and some of use will be too busy gluged on the gundam fights.aint as cool as the anime version but it's good enough. and if it's anything like the storyline,the latter vols will get better.

So for the effort at least,I give it a B-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Also kinda disagree with the 00 review slightly. I just read it. Sure it the storyline aint up to snuff but it's still not gonna matter when you'll be too busy how this art is the most decent for a gundam series in a long while. Not to mentioned the intrugue on could this happen in the late future,and some of use will be too busy gluged on the gundam fights.aint as cool as the anime version but it's good enough. and if it's anything like the storyline,the latter vols will get better.

It doesn't get better (have Part 2/Vol. 2). They completely skipped spoiler[the Human Reform League attack, as well as Allelujah attacking the Super-Soldier institute, and move straight on to Setsuna's mission in Azadistan. [sarcasm]Yeah, that doesn't remove significant moments in the story.[/sarcasm] *sigh*.] The artwork is nice, but that's it really.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Having seen the OVA, I am certain that the Eiken manga must have achieved the task it sets itself: to entertain its fanbase in ways at which a more lifelike visual style would fail. It could be said that this entertainment may not be of a sort one would typically associate with the appreciation of a work of narrative, but it's light... relief nonetheless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:

Obviously he was lying before, in order to appease our Japanese corporate overlords.

Believe me, Japanese corporate overlords make way more money on manga than on anime. Still, I'd agree there's not much that's worth watching this season; all I'm watching is Darker than Black. Some of the other good series... I'd rather just read manga. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1