• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Astro Boy Happy Meal Toys Coming to McDonald's

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Cute. Just cute. Oh well, better than Bakugan.
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I was listening to satellite radio's Ron and Fez show the other day, I forgot exactly what the subject was but at some point a caller had called in to comment on the new Astro Boy movie. Basically what he said was that he had no interest in seeing it because it looked too much like that "Japanese animation shit."and not the Astro Boy he used to know.

Hilarious.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
yellow ledbetter wrote:
I was listening to satellite radio's Ron and Fez show the other day, I forgot exactly what the subject was but at some point a caller had called in to comment on the new Astro Boy movie. Basically what he said was that he had no interest in seeing it because it looked too much like that "Japanese animation shit."and not the Astro Boy he used to know.

Hilarious.

There are moments in life when a facepalm is needed, and this is 1 of them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I haven't seen Astro Boy merchandise since they tried to bring back the series in the 80s. I dunno why, but AB's the only kiddie movie I've anticipated this year, and maybe in a long time, even moreso than 'Wild Things. [I don't count Ponyo, since I was getting tired of Miyazaki up until that flick.] I think it's cus it looks like a CG flick in which stuff actually happens, and the main characters don't come off patronizing to my intelligence or in need of validation.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
yellow ledbetter wrote:

Hilarious.

There are moments in life when a facepalm is needed, and this is 1 of them.

That totally made my day. Oh god, the irony. Very Happy
calimike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I just got plastic bag with cover Astro Boy on it and $1 off coupon (L.A. Look hair product). I pull bag out of Los Angeles Times [Sunday Edition] newspaper this morning. I think LA Times and Imagi are promoting a new Astro Boy movie for Oct 23.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
If one of these plays the original series' theme song when you push a button on the back, I'm so raiding a Happy Meal. Razz
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, well now's a good enough time then ever to buy a happy meal. Unless ordering a happy meal at the age of 22 seems wrong, does it?
Anime smile + sweatdrop
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
YES! YES! I was excited about the movie as it was, but the merchandise really gets me going. I had suspected that someone might have kids' meal toys but I really had no idea. So I'm pretty surprised ^-^

~nanashi~ wrote:
Sweet, well now's a good enough time then ever to buy a happy meal. Unless ordering a happy meal at the age of 22 seems wrong, does it?
^_^'

Doesn't seem wrong to me, I still buy them and I'm older than that ^-^;; Granted, I'm a collector and I still have to buy another two meals or something cause there isn't much food in a Happy Meal but still.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Meson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
~nanashi~ wrote:
Anime smile + sweatdrop

Buy teh happy meal, and something else, to go. If peole ask, say it is for brother/cousin/son/etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
Meson wrote:
~nanashi~ wrote:
Anime smile + sweatdrop

Buy teh happy meal, and something else, to go. If peole ask, say it is for brother/cousin/son/etc.
You could also make the excuse that your just needing a quick bite to eat.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Meson wrote:
~nanashi~ wrote:
Anime smile + sweatdrop

You could also make the excuse that your just needing a quick bite to eat.

Happy Meals are portion controlled fast food. Quite the happy meal indeed. Smile I always order Mighty Kids meals (a bit larger but not as frigging huge as the "adult" meals) and they never give me grief over it.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:48 am Reply with quote
I hope Astro Boy fairs better than Dragon Ball Evolution. Perhaps this tie-in will help Astro Boy to do better. I am going to wait for the reviews to see much I wan to see the movie,
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
Nelvana, WB, and Spin Masters still pimpin' Bakugan, lol.

As for Astroboy, I initally predicted it to be a super bomb, since marketing for the longest time seemed to be exclusive to children's networks, and online (ala DragonBall Evolution). But just last night I saw a few ads while watching Network TV (well, it's Canadian Network TV, but still), and now this deal. Maybe all is not lost for this Astro.
nagato316

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
But just last night I saw a few ads while watching Network TV (well, it's Canadian Network TV, but still), and now this deal. Maybe all is not lost for this Astro.

Stateside, AB's commercials are starting to get a lot more TV airplay. The fact that...

a) Last week, it was heavily promoted during CBS' NFL telecasts, and not just commercials--there was a screen "tag" for the "NFL on CBS Astro Boy Skycam," complete with the titular character himself, during one game...

and

b) Even the My Network network aired AB spots during WWE Smackdown this past weekend (yeah _that_ boggles the mind, I know!)...

indicates to me just how highly the producers think of their product to promo it this much, even in "mainstream" avenues, to really build up the anticipation. The "showdown" between Wild Things and Astro Boy at the box office this weekend should be interesting.

PS Golden Arches FTW with the Astro Boy Happy Meal tie-ins. Ba da ba ba baaaa...I truly am lovin' this!! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2