• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MD County Removes Dragon Ball Manga from All Schools

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcwave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
The Bulma scene I'm guessing... hmmm...
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I can understand Elementary and Middle School... but High School? Come on! That's just plain over protective!
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
This will probably get me flamed.

I believe that manga does not belong in school libraries. American comics don't either. School libraries should be more resource centers, with solid literature sections, not sources of entertainment.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Thank god the children are safe from lurid books meant for... uh, children, actually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm... Well, maybe, it's the countless times of perversion from Oolong and Muten Roshi towards Bulma.

Edit:It was the first volume, right? Well, perhaps, it was the scene where Goku lifts Bulma's skirt with the Nyobi. Idk.
darkrunner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Don't all of the Shonen Jump releases clearly say "Rated T, Ages 13 and Up" on the back cover? The school have been paying more attention to what they put on their shelves!
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm waiting for my old elementary school to have a kid pick up the old and tattered volume 2 of Akira and cause a ruckus. A damn big ruckus.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
The Bulma scene I'm guessing... hmmm...

Hmm... various Bulma scenes, Bulma dialogue, Roshi jokes, Roshi jokes and Launch, Goku patting peoples crouches, That chick in the first Tournament that strips to her underwear more Roshi stuff... really the first couple of volumes of DB has various sex or ecchi jokes. I think once it gets to the Red Ribbon stuff, it really dies down. But yeah from a High School seems a bit excessive. But DBZ should be okay unless they think its too violent.

Its the US. We are super uptight about sex and very lenient with violence cause the rational is its more likely for your kids to go out and have sex with someone and get pregnant or get arrest for sexually offending someone then it is for them to go out and kill someone. You know, something along those lines even though its deeper then that. So at this point in life and the internet; are we surprised? Hex no.
black.rose.revolution

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

I believe that manga does not belong in school libraries. American comics don't either. School libraries should be more resource centers, with solid literature sections, not sources of entertainment.

Right. We wouldn't want kids to accidently discover the joy of reading. If they did that, they might want to read all sorts of things!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
I've kinda been wondering about the underlying basis of content ratings. There seems to be a consensus that children below a certain age -- varying from child to child but approximated by Viz as 13 here -- reading/seeing scenes like some of the ones in Dragon Ball (Bulma flashing Kame-Sennin, Goku's "pat-pats," Bulma in the shower) is A Bad Thing and something that Should Not Happen. Which I'm certainly not denying. But what is the reasoning behind this, and what is the fundamental difference between someone who is "old enough" and someone who isn't? It's clearly understood to be something psychological, presumably a shift in thinking or something like that -- but what? Does it have to do with the ability to separate reality and fiction, or behaviors that should and shouldn't be imitated? I know it sounds silly, but imagine that a space alien came down and asked us about it -- how would we explain it?
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
black.rose.revolution wrote:
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

Right. We wouldn't want kids to accidently discover the joy of reading. If they did that, they might want to read all sorts of things!

Yes, because literature cannot teach kids the joy of reading without resorting to pulp and comic books.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
They probably did the move to avoid more soccer moms joining in and bitching more, thus costing the school board time and money to deal with essentially a non-issue.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Talk about being overprotective.

It's just manga! Totally fake. Not real. Made up.

There's no place for censorship in a free society, kiddies!
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
but what? Does it have to do with the ability to separate reality and fiction, or behaviors that should and shouldn't be imitated? I know it sounds silly, but imagine that a space alien came down and asked us about it -- how would we explain it?

I'm pretty sure it's the idea that younger children are more impressionable than 13-year-old children. A five-year-old boy might read DB and feel encouraged to start imitating Goku's "pat pat" scene, or flip a girls skirt, where-as a 13-year-old boy should already know better than to do that. So I think you were about right.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
Content involving mild sexual humor = no.

Content involving graphic violence, death, and the promotion of an idea that it doesn't matter who you kill or who gets killed, it'll all be square once you find the 7 magic rocks = sure why not.

Goku learning the difference between boys and girls is surely a more troubling issue than a child seriously wondering why they can't just wish their goldfish/dog/grandmother back to life... after having beaten them to death with a giant pole.

God bless America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5