• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese question the Atlantis/Nadia similarity

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Being the first time I heard of the whole Nadia/Atlantis thing,I'm reminded of the whole Jungle Emperor/Lion King debate.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you certainly dug up a really old article to comment on Anime smallmouth

Anyways, for further reading:

animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=66

and

animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=69
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Yes and no. Mignola ripped his(ugly) character designs off, that's definate, conciously or no. But the stories themselves are both ripped off the same material.

The Lion King should have been a public embarrassment for Disney, instead they schlufed it off because Tezuka doesn't have the checkbook to take them on
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Since Nadia wasn't commercially available in North America, save for the Streamline release which was aborted after two volumes, around the summer of 1997, when the character designs were being developed, it's highly unlikely anyone associated with the creative side of production would have seen it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about Nadia, but I've always seen alot of similarities between Atlantis and Castle in the Sky, particularly the building designs.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think they admit to being Miyazaki-influenced.

The biggest rip-off claim (from modern popular culture) you can make about Atlantis is that it was obviously influenced somewhat by Stargate, and Stargate fans realized that right off the bat and embraced it rather than decrying it as a rip-off.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since Nadia wasn't commercially available in North America, save for the Streamline release which was aborted after two volumes, around the summer of 1997, when the character designs were being developed, it's highly unlikely anyone associated with the creative side of production would have seen it.

Hardly, Nadia was fansubbed, and there were at least 9-10 volumes of Nadia by streamline.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I know there were fansubs of Nadia since I was watching it in the same era, but the fansubs were watched by a tiny underground niche, so it's highly unlikely that anyone associated with the creative process came into contact with the show.

And Marc Hairston confirms that Streamline only ever released the first eight episodes.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:22 pm Reply with quote
are there still people dwelling on this? that would be sad.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know there were fansubs of Nadia since I was watching it in the same era, but the fansubs were watched by a tiny underground niche, so it's highly unlikely that anyone associated with the creative process came into contact with the show.

Mike Mignola, longtime comic artist, was the character designer. He had plenty of opportunity to come into contact with it
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Even assuming the conspiracy theories are true, then:

Atlantis ripped off Nadia
Nadia ripped off Castle in the Sky
Castle in the Sky ripped off Future Boy Conan
Future Boy Conan was an adaptation of The Incredible Tide

So if anything, Alexander Key fans are the ones who should revolt, and Atlantis is a lot closer to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea than his book. I agree, v1cious. People better not be still obsessing about this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:41 pm Reply with quote
While Mignola's jumped in on the anime fad now, with his Hellboy anime, I've never seen any evidence that he was enough of an anime fan in the mid-90s to have seen something as obscure as Nadia.

And the Stargate fans make the same claims about the character designs, just, instead of "Nadia" and "Jean", it's "Sha're" and "Dr. Daniel Jackson".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1