• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
if time permits me, I will submit an entry this week =)
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How many times can I enter? As many times as you want.
I'm struggling a bit here with the wording. Does this mean that contestants are allowed to submit more than one carving?

Also, would tokusatsu, manga, and/or Japanese video game related submissions be accepted, provided they're tasteful and not too obscure? [i.e. Ultraman, Godzilla, Super Sentai, Battle Royale, Lone Wolf and Cub, Osamu Tezuka's Buddah, Gon, Disgaea, Darkstalkers/Night Warriors/Vampire Savior, Guilty Gear, et cetera ad nauseum]
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Battle Cossack wrote:
Quote:
How many times can I enter? As many times as you want.
I'm struggling a bit here with the wording. Does this mean that contestants are allowed to submit more than one carving?

Also, would tokusatsu, manga, and/or Japanese video game related submissions be accepted, provided they're tasteful and not too obscure? [i.e. Ultraman, Godzilla, Super Sentai, Battle Royale, Lone Wolf and Cub, Osamu Tezuka's Buddah, Gon, Disgaea, Darkstalkers/Night Warriors/Vampire Savior, Guilty Gear, et cetera ad nauseum]

Yes, and yes.
maddoghoek100

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Im not feeling too inspired this year. I dont usualy dig on Horror anime. Anyone have any suggestions on an awsome series I could get into in a hurry.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
^ Check out When They Cry. You might just win it if you do this contest. Very Happy

I'd love to make a pumpkin of Shion's psycho face from Higurashi, but I know I'd just screw it up. Anime hyper

I'm looking forward to seeing the other entries, though. Smile
ladygoddess8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think its a ten minute substitute for 2 hours of work.

I have to disagree on this one. I just spent a LOT of time carving my pumpkin and the markers helped for shading certain area. Its a unique solution that looks great when lit.

Does Resident Evil Degeneration count as an anime?

Anyway, I want to send two entries can I do this in one e-mail meaning 4 pictures, 2 of each pumpkin, or do I need to send two e-mails?
Thanks.
Akukame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ladygoddess8 wrote:
Quote:
I think its a ten minute substitute for 2 hours of work.

I have to disagree on this one. I just spent a LOT of time carving my pumpkin and the markers helped for shading certain area. Its a unique solution that looks great when lit.

I think the biggest factor for the markers is that when taking long exposure pictures (my pictures this year were 15 second exposure), some of the detail is lost without the sharpie. I do think that if you need to use multiple colors of markers than your design for your pumpkin is flawed already.

Either way, I think this argument comes up every year. Its not like they're forcing you to use markers or you wouldn't be able to win without the use of markers.

Quote:
Anyway, I want to send two entries can I do this in one e-mail meaning 4 pictures, 2 of each pumpkin, or do I need to send two e-mails?
Thanks.

Though its not an official response, I'd say just send it as two e-mails if you're even worried about it in the slightest. It doesn't cost anything or take any more time to do 2 e-mails instead of 1...

Anyways, there doesn't seem to be a lot of talking about the contest this year. I wonder how many entries there will be.

My pumpkin is done, I think I'll submit it tonight. I have to get the pictures together. I think I have an issue with using too much real estate on the pumpkin. Much like my Nana pumpkin from 3 years ago, I couldn't fit the design on one picture because of the curving of the pumpkin. Another hour of carving and I probably could have completely circled the pumpkin. But after sitting there carving for like 4 hours straight, it was already going too far.
RiderG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
this is a stupid question but it's not stated in the rules. so i just want a quick clarification so i don't just assume it's supposed to be common knowledge and therefore not needed to mention...

Does the subject have to be Anime?

(i'm asking because i have an american super villain i plan on carving and wanna know if i can enter it.)
ladygoddess8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
i have an american super villain i plan on carving

I would see if its in the encyclopedia on ANN. If not, I am unsure but truthfully there is no rule against not doing anime themed pumpkins so it should be okay.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Does it matter how big the pumpkin is? What if someone enters in a HUGE pumpkin with either the head of an anime character or their (the character's) full body? Would it be fair?
Akukame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
bigheart711 wrote:
Does it matter how big the pumpkin is? What if someone enters in a HUGE pumpkin with either the head of an anime character or their (the character's) full body? Would it be fair?

If you take a look at the entries from previous years, you'll notice that a lot of the better carvings and winners have been on very large pumpkins. I wouldn't necessarily say HUGE, but, probably in the range of like 18" tall. There hasn't been a rule against using huge pumpkins in the past, and I don't think there is or will be.
duofangirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
As a complete bystander who does little more than carve a traditional jack-o-lantern every year, I am always *much* more impressed with pumpkins that only incorporate carving and no markers. Plus, the ones with just carvings look better (you can tell when a marker was used, even in the dark photos).

Dare to try with just carving, you might be surprised as to how well you do Very Happy
RiderG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
duofangirl wrote:
As a complete bystander who does little more than carve a traditional jack-o-lantern every year, I am always *much* more impressed with pumpkins that only incorporate carving and no markers. Plus, the ones with just carvings look better (you can tell when a marker was used, even in the dark photos).

Dare to try with just carving, you might be surprised as to how well you do Very Happy

i've never tried using markers. maybe i'm just primitive but i think it's cheating. who knows tho, maybe if i actually try it sometime i might find it a great advantage.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I did a non-anime pumpkin this year (even if it is a little moe) so I'm not going to bother entering.

http://writerpatrick.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7371949

Markers are fine only so far as indicating carving points. But what makes a pumpkin really impressive is how it looks lit up. It's a lantern, not a vase.
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
PHEW!!

I bought my pumpkin yesterday and carved it today at 11:30am and finished around 3:30pm! =___= I'm exhausted. I even got a cut. Darn exacto knife.

I'm thoroughly proud of my pumpkin carving this year and once I lit it it made me sooo giddy! All of my mistakes turned out amazing and I'm just so happy. I enter this contest as much as I can with only one pumpkin a year and I do hope I at least finish somewhere good. Also I've never seen any pumpkin carvings done by the series I chose so it makes me feel special. =3

Good luck everyone! I cant wait to see the competition!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12