• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CGI Space Battleship Yamato Film Production Finishes; TV Specials Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I hope the movie does the series justice and we have some decent space opera, and at that Yamato always delivers.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
So now that the legal issues have been resolved, when is Voyager gonna get the rights to the R2 versions of the series?
Bell02

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I really want to see this movie, but what is the special being refereed to on the History Channel? And do they mean history channel US?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I hate to sound too much like a broken record, but unless Matsumoto himself had some input into this, I very much doubt it'll even be worth watching. And anyway, Yamato finished nicely already. Twice. There's no reason to resurrect it yet again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I hate to sound too much like a broken record, but unless Matsumoto himself had some input into this, I very much doubt it'll even be worth watching. And anyway, Yamato finished nicely already. Twice. There's no reason to resurrect it yet again.

Yeah, but this one was written by Shintaro "I Hate Mickey Mouse" Ishihara! Laughing
crazychild

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the two films they're referring to are Be Forever Yamato and Final Yamato?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
I wonder what the character designs will look like CG'ized. It really wouldn't be Yamato unless at the very least it has a semblance of Matsumoto's designs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I wonder what the character designs will look like CG'ized. It really wouldn't be Yamato unless at the very least it has a semblance of Matsumoto's designs.

Well, there are pictures on the official site. Just wait for the flash to load and click a side.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
I am wondering if Matsumoto's work on the original Yamato works was influenced by his contemporary, Shotaro Ishinomori. I say this because some of the characters in Yamato resemble Cyborgs 003 and 009. Also, both were born on the same day, January 25 of 1938, and both were the pupils of Osamu Tezuka.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Matsumoto and Nishizaki are... not on the best of terms.

And according to Japanese Wikipedia, Nishizaki told animator Yoshikazu Yasuhiko that he hated Matsumoto's art.

Expect them to look look different.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I think the History Channel thing was allready on, they just talked about the actual Yamato ship in WWII. Or maybe they are refering to the upcoming documentary about the ship that is coming soon in Japan.

As far as the characters go, they don't look CGI to me, unless you click somewhere else to see them...

Hope this gets at least a DVD release in the US, but a theater release (even if it is just for a limited run) would be great. I am sure that a lot of people in the US would be interested in it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

Matsumoto and Nishizaki are... not on the best of terms.

And according to Japanese Wikipedia, Nishizaki told animator Yoshikazu Yasuhiko that he hated Matsumoto's art.

Expect them to look look different.

Nishizaki shouldn't criticize Matsumoto. He's a no talent who wouldn't have gotten anywhere in his career without Matsumoto.

What's he done since Yamato? Aside from being arrested for drugs and weapons charges? Nothing. Meanwhile, Matsumoto created some of the most iconic anime and anime characters of all time.

Most of what was good about Yamato was Matsumoto's doing. He's the Bill Finger to Nishizaki's Bob Kane.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:

As far as the characters go, they don't look CGI to me, unless you click somewhere else to see them...

Maybe when they said CGI, they meant "digital", as in this will be the first Yamato done without cel-animation.

penguintruth wrote:

Nishizaki shouldn't criticize Matsumoto. He's a no talent who wouldn't have gotten anywhere in his career without Matsumoto.
What's he done since Yamato? Aside from being arrested for drugs and weapons charges? Nothing. Meanwhile, Matsumoto created some of the most iconic anime and anime characters of all time.

I won't disagree with you there. Nishizaki did produce Urotsukidoji, which was... infamous, I guess. They say he conned the voice casts of Zeta Gundam and a few from Yamato into doing voices for Urotsukidoji and that they were unaware of what they were in for until contracts were signed and it was too late.

I think Yamato worked best when Nishizaki and Matsumoto worked together. Neither of their solo Yamato works (or Yamato knockoffs) were very memorable. Nishizaki's were soulless and Matsumoto's were somewhat incoherent.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Neither of their solo Yamato works (or Yamato knockoffs) were very memorable. Nishizaki's were soulless and Matsumoto's were somewhat incoherent.

But at least Matsumoto went on to create Captain Harlock, Queen Emeraldas, and Galaxy Express 999. More recently, Interstella 5555.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
mrsatan wrote:
Neither of their solo Yamato works (or Yamato knockoffs) were very memorable. Nishizaki's were soulless and Matsumoto's were somewhat incoherent.

But at least Matsumoto went on to create Captain Harlock, Queen Emeraldas, and Galaxy Express 999. More recently, Interstella 5555.

Yep, he's certainly the more talented of the two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1