• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Air Raid

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
i also bought BOX #3 and also cried when spoiler[ Chopper's dad blew him up to avoid being poisoned by his medicine] it's a definate shelf worthy. However FMP: the second raid is also a definate shelf worthy as well. sure it aint as dramatic as the 1st season and has no slapstick humor as in Funoffu,but it's still a good series nevertheless. and it was a good thing funi brought the adv cast from FMA for the 2nd raid as well.

i'd say both are definate shelf worthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Huh, you have some weird reviewing methods...

I mean the One Piece section??? you are only supposed to tell us what's so special about this installment, and not babble on about the entire series and it's length... And please, for the love of GOD, stop mentioning other animes!!!

It's nice that you cried that during Totoro, I mean, hey, I cried too. But this is Shelf Life; you not writing reviews, you are describing why it's in it's category.

As for the Second Raid: the dub was quite professional. If you didn't like the dub in the first series, why complain now? And even though, you didn't like the series overall, at LEAST give examples to explain your disgust so people can be satisfied, and not be as pissed off as me.

I mean, the other guy talked about why He is My Master was so bad, by giving some factual points to support his casue. You are just repeating that it is so awesome/bad/etc. straight out!

No offense, but do a better job next time around... I was looking forward to this installment of Shelf Life, and this was one of the weakest articles I've EVER read...
mewtwo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Uh... Bamboo and Erin are both women, Otaking.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

No offense, but do a better job next time around.

You know, you can't say 'No offense' and then say something completely rude like that, because it WILL cause offense. Telling someone straight out to 'Do a better job' doesn't help them. Also, Shelf Life is a review section - Erin is being paid to review these DVDs, which is what she did.
As for FMP, she did explain why she didn't like it, and her comments about the dub were her personal opinion. She didn't outright say it was bad, she said she just never cared for it. And there is nothing wrong with mentioning other anime - it serves as a good reference point. The reason she mentoned Totoro was an example of the type of anime that have touched her enough to make her cry.
No offense, but maybe you should 'do a better job' to not come off as a snarky, rude, condescending ass.

Anyway, the Shelf this week was really cool - and huge! And I have to say, I like your taste in anime, I have a bunch of those DVDs too.

Last edited by Quark on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
But this is Shelf Life; you not writing reviews, you are describing why it's in it's category.

you not understand point of column
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
I think Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid is definitely a keeper. Oh sure, it isn't for everyone, but then not much is. When you consider its target audience, it is Shelf Worthy. Even those people not into Mecha should be able to enjoy it, such is its appeal.

Zac wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:
But this is Shelf Life; you not writing reviews, you are describing why it's in it's category.

At least Otaking09 uses full-stops. Just saying.
Zeqasa Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
On a happier, less trolling note...

I am totally jealous of Hunter's signed copy of "Fool on the Planet" by the pillows. Being one of the best Jrock bands, I can understand why he would put it front and center on his "Knick-Knack" shelf. The "The girl who leapt through time" poster is a thing of beauty as well.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed FMP TSR immensely. However, I can understand why it might not fly with some. FMP is at its best when it's more about the comedy and romance - the zenith of which in my book was Fumoffu. My main issue with TSR is, ultimately it's a spoiler[bit of a tease, since a lot of the story leads up to what feels like another season (which has not arrived yet, and who knows when it ever will...)]

With regards to the dub the FMP/TSR dub, it's definitely my favorite ADV dub, as well as one of my top 3 Anime TV series dubs of any studio. Don Rush's memorable directorial and casting works at ADV usually always win me over big time. I found FMP TSR's dub both very satisfying and one of the most natural sounding dubs.

Though, to each their own. Wink

Only saw a few episodes of Tokyo Majin when ADV was showing it on Anime Network back in the day. I vaguely remember the dub, since I only saw the free teaser episodes, but this column has given me more incentive to check it out at one point.

Looking forward to the next column.

Last edited by SXAniMedia on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Ralifar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

...at LEAST give examples to explain your disgust so people can be satisfied, and not be as pissed off as me.

I'm not sure what you were reading, but she did say the biggest failing of the series was the main bad guy. I agree with pretty much everything she said about him as well. Although I don't think he brings down the series enough to make it just a rental and not shelf worthy. She also expressed her dissatisfaction with the explanations of some of the key elements of the story, the price, and the dub. I kind of got the feeling that if it was maybe $30 cheaper she might have listed it as shelf worthy. Although I'm looking at the digitally remastered blue ray edition on Amazon right now, and it's only $36.49. That's from Amazon itself.

Zac wrote:

You make me smile sometimes Zac.

I'm going to agree with you that Otaking doesn't seem to know which end to crap out of. I've never viewed Shelf Life as a straight review column. It does include that, yes, but it's also much more. If it was just supposed to be straight reviews there would be no point in even having the Shelf Life column.

*Edit* Added an f. Razz

Last edited by Ralifar on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Do detract this thread from the apparent shitstorm that is about to ensue, I ORDER Zac to hit me with a round of Cylon Shooters. NOW!

NOOOOOW!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
animes!!!

The only thing left for me to point out is this. 'S' doesn't like being abused.

With regards to TSR: I wonder if I'd feel the same way about Gates if I went back and watched the series now. And...b-but, the dub is so good!
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
I hate to agree with Otaking09, considering how rudely he/she phrased that post, but I have to say that I find the writing style of the new Shelf Life to be extremely grating. I understand that she has her own style and is entitled to it, but it's presented like a high schooler's blog-- not exactly professional. I have a hard time even getting through the reviews. This makes me sad, as Shelf Life was always one of my favourite columns on the site.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

'S' doesn't like being abused.

That makes me smile as well.

Saturn wrote:
...I find the writing style of the new Shelf Life to be extremely grating. ...it's presented like a high schooler's blog...

This just seems like pointless complaining to me. Maybe if you actually explained why you felt it was grating and what in it makes you think it's presented like a high schooler's blog I might consider your post relevant, but as you just whine like a baby, it just makes you seem...well, lacking.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
One Piece- the only one of the Shonen Jump trinity that I can't figure out for the life of me (actually, I like to think of it as a quad-inity (sp?) due to my love for Gintama, but US fans seem to recognize Naruto-Bleach-One Piece as the three greatest ongoing Jump properties). One Piece is so long, and it's about pirates, and pirates are historically bad guys, and the main character can stretch, and what's so great about it?! Says me, but I feel like I'm missing out...

*cough* Um, Anyways...
Full Metal Panic! was one of the first anime series I got into, and thus the dub holds a special place in my heart. What exactly don't you like about it, Erin? Is it Chris Patton's different take on Souske from the original Japanese actor's, or something else?

are the FMP light novels shelf worthy? I don't think I've ever seen a review for them.
underbase

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
I have to say that I find the writing style of the new Shelf Life to be extremely grating. I understand that she has her own style and is entitled to it, but it's presented like a high schooler's blog-- not exactly professional.

Hmm, I'm actually enjoying her writing style a lot. It's casual and conversational, and feels like a real person you might know just giving their views on a few shows.

So many reviewers use their columns as a vehicle to 'show' the world how unbelievably sophisticated and erudite they are. Their reviews tend toward the negative, as it seems more worldly to be cynical and pick apart a show's direction, theme, or whatever. Bonus points if they can work in a reference to a Gordian Knot or Occam's Razor or some other arcane philosophical term.

To find a reviewer who works to just honestly describe a show, usually in a fairly positive light even if they found issue with it, is a pleasure.

And honestly, her reviews are just plain fun to read. Not much arguing with that.

Last edited by underbase on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7