• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bringing the Heat

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Awesome job so far, keep up the good work!
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I was disappointed to see Daphne in the Brilliant Blue on the Perishable list, but then again it is not a show for everyone. I liked it, but then again I'm an ecchi fan so I enjoy these types of show regardless of how original not original the show is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Aidan has quite a diverse collection. Interesting that he has all the Death Note figurines. Even more interesting is that he has seven Samurai 7 boxsets. What is up with that? Were those the collector's editions or something?
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of glad to find Erin has the same opinion of Burst Angel as I do. God awful show. Was like a chore to finish it. It was a monster of the week show for 3/4 of the series, and then around the end they were all "Oh yeah, show's almost over. Does anyone have a plot we can toss on this?"
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Once again, I am envious of the shelves. Limited Editions (which I what I think the Samurai 7 boxes are, since they also include extra storyboard booklets in them), other artboxes that seem to be unavailable, titles that I would kill for to have in full (maybe not so drastic, but still)...

Then again, that's Shelf Life for you.

I Love Me sounds like something I should get in the near future. It sounds... interesting, although she is an artist. Wink
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Wow, Aidan has quite a diverse collection. Interesting that he has all the Death Note figurines. Even more interesting is that he has seven Samurai 7 boxsets. What is up with that? Were those the collector's editions or something?

Yes, they are limited edition releases and were released during Samurai 7's singles run several years ago.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Erin said about Daphne in the Brilliant Blue:

It's like a future version of Baywatch Nights minus David Hasslehoff. It's like Charlie's Angels with an ugly, lame Charlie.

That's a pretty accurate description of the show... I've been watching on Anime Network on Demand & we're up to episode 10. While it's not stunning, it is kind of fun & I guess I wouldn't have ranked it perishable (not shelf-worthy but I'd giv'er a rental). I enjoy the comic beat-downs of Gloria given by the easily irritable Yu Park & Maia does ok as the sweet, clueless understudy. The character designs are nice though the upper craniums are weirdly large, Maia's head looks Q-tip-esque & girl-in-glasses Shizuka has a monster of a forehead... The cover art is misleading, you'd really think you're getting some good H. I'd really like an explanation of the strapless thongs though, how do they stay up???

If you had any input on which thumbnail image they were to use for Shelf Life on the home page, I wish you wouldn't have used "I Love Me". Gahhh, the smaller image is even worse & more drag queen-ish. She is an intriguing, sad character though...

I remember Heat Guy J from MTV2, I thought it was halfway decent. J isn't a poor man's Major, he's closer to Batou Wink
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(FYI Japan, Clair is not a boy's name)

The same thought occurred to me while watching Baccano. Anime hyper

Wonder why that is...?
bonfire123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
yea about daphne in the brilliant blue. theoretically (sp?) the less clothes you were into a battle, the better your movements should be, i.e there's nothing in the way. This is why olympic swimmers don't wear the same bathing suits as everyone else and the same goes for track runners.

ok but even with that said they still go a bit over the top with the skimpiness, I'll admit

also I like the fact that there weren't a whole lot of "water" episodes. humans aren't really aquatic creatures so it makes sense that the vast majority of our activites are on land. Think of it as a society desperatlly clinging to the little land they have left.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, to the owner of the Shelf - first off, awesome collection. Secondly, I find it amusing that you turn your Evangelion box set so that the Asuka side is facing - I do that too. More Asuka on the shelves is always a good thing.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Last Exile is one of my favorite shows so I'm trying to make this point without really being overly biased while still disagreeing with Last Exile getting lumped into the fashionable Gonzo hate that it would likely not get lumped into otherwise.

I know it's all fashionable to rag on Gonzo especially due to their questionable excursions into genres outside of their best scifi territory and their attempts to save themselves by doing more mundane stuff than the riskier stuff they were better at to try and turn around their financial woes but the Last Exile CG complaint was rather inaccurate in my opinion, and saying it sticks out more than the CG in Heat Guy J, another show that I really enjoyed but has by far the more stick out shiny style of CG (which was likely done on purpose given how glossy it looks and is the look the show is known for, which I liked for this particular show and worked really well but certainly sticks out more in the visuals than LE's) I can't agree with. Personally I think LE's CG work and the detail on the various airships are still some of the finest around among TV series and I think the shading on the CG certainly made it feel like it blended in more than Heat Guy J's.

Maybe I'm wrong but it's a shame that the Gonzo hate permeated so plainly by being the source of BOTH seemingly negative comparisons in the same article effecting even an excellent series like Last Exile seemingly getting grouped in with what I consider an inaccurate description of LE's CG work (Burst Angel certainly has valid complaints though boring wouldn't be on my list unlike with Daphne where I agree with your thoughts on it) since I've been agreeing with your thoughts on series so far and I agreed and enjoyed the takes on the series in question this time on the series that I'd seen in Heat Guy J and Daphne (and Devil May Cry).
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Last Exile is one of my favorite shows so I'm trying to make this point without really being overly biased while still disagreeing with Last Exile getting lumped into the fashionable Gonzo hate that it would likely not get lumped into otherwise.

I like Last Exile, but the CG just doesn't blend well. I had to re-watch it recently, and the CG in the last few episodes is particularly bad.

Here are some examples of CG blends I approve of: Princess Mononoke, Tekkonkinkreet, Howl's Moving Castle. Here are some examples of very bad CG blends: Golgo 13: The Professional (movie), The Last Starfighter. Last Exile is somewhere between those two. It might be worth noting that I'm an old school Doctor Who fan. I have tolerance for bad special effects.

I'm not biased against Gonzo, like say, Daryl of Anime World Order. Gonzo makes a lot of shows. Not all of them can be good. Daryl often complains Gonzo's shows tank halfway through. I haven't had the good fortune to actually finish a lot of Gonzo series, so - we'll see in future columns...
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
>>>Daphne is also superior to Burst Angel because there's no lolicon sex object character.
>>>On the plus side, thank god she's not there for some sick lolicon reason.

I had a feeling that it wouldn't be too long before you said something really unnerving so that I could humanize you more in my mind instead of being somewhat unstoppably awesome. That moment came twice. Which is probably a good thing but, well, I feel like I've been dealt a low blow somehow...

Anywho, nice reviews, I think I'll check out Heat Guy J sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
It might be worth noting that I'm an old school Doctor Who fan. I have tolerance for bad special effects.

Well said, good lady. Anime hyper
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

I like Last Exile, but the CG just doesn't blend well. I had to re-watch it recently, and the CG in the last few episodes is particularly bad.

Here are some examples of CG blends I approve of: Princess Mononoke, Tekkonkinkreet, Howl's Moving Castle. Here are some examples of very bad CG blends: Golgo 13: The Professional (movie), The Last Starfighter. Last Exile is somewhere between those two. It might be worth noting that I'm an old school Doctor Who fan. I have tolerance for bad special effects.

I'm not biased against Gonzo, like say, Daryl of Anime World Order. Gonzo makes a lot of shows. Not all of them can be good. Daryl often complains Gonzo's shows tank halfway through. I haven't had the good fortune to actually finish a lot of Gonzo series, so - we'll see in future columns...

Alright then, nothing wrong with opinion in that case even though I think it ranks much more favorably in comparison to the other TV series than you seem to Smile

Also, I wasn't comparing Last Exile's CG to those of top-tier movies only series of which I think it ranks quite highly.

The last few episodes were also more distinctly scifi and Guild-oriented for spoiler reasons (or in the heavy dark windy environment) and grand-scale though, so I don't recall anything overly inappropriate. Heat Guy J's extremely aggressive glossiness will always stick out more to me, not that that it hurt it since I enjoyed the style for that world.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:45 pm; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6