• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-11-11

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crystal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
This is probably the reason I don't collect figures . . . even if I find one I like, A) They're too expensive, B) It's still possible to look up its skirt most of the time.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
She's not as cool as Sludge Mistress Sudori, who Daisuke battled in the Armorer's Water Closet arc back in volumes 12-16 of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
This week's strip is awesome. Mostly, I think, because I've been there myself. It's a difficult battle not to get carried away with these things sometimes.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Totally been there XD

A great example being any/all figures for Kodomo no Jikan... lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
Why.. do I think they got figured of the Hikaru character with an enlarged crotch? Laughing
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
B) It's still possible to look up its skirt most of the time.

Just this Saturday after getting a new Asuka figure and seeing up her skirt while trying to get her out of the package, I've decided to just accept that that's one of the perks of buying anime figures. It always happens with figures that wear skirts, so I just giggle, hand them over to my boyfriend so he can take a peek, and then put them on the shelf with the other figures.

Paola and Nina either need to accept the ridiculously sexy appeal of some figures, and just enjoy the ride, or start collecting flat out cute figures. The majority of my figures fall into the 'cute' catagory (except for Tira Misu from Bakuretsu Hunters. She's sexy...but I can't see up her skirt)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
In the end, you just sometimes can't resist the draw of the figures, despite things like the ridiculous proportions and the skimpy clothing. Although, there's quite a good number that are the completely opposite. If anything, it's harder to sculpt when the character has more clothing, thus raising the price. The cheapest figures tend to be those simple ones with the characters in swimsuits, because it only requires the sculptor to sculpt the body, and not much else.

As for the price of figures, you just have to look around. While it might seem typically expensive at conventions, you might still pay less than online when shipping is factored in. And then you have some sites that sell them for pretty good prices. If you want to start, start small and look at the gashapons or just small scaled figures. Even among the smaller ones, you'll still see a lot of diversity in the time and effort put into them.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Otakuboy T

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
2 years ago at ACen I got second at an Anime Jeopardy-like game (not enough old school). I got a figure of a half naked bat/witch/nurse girl with short red hair. I promptly sold it to a girl in the audience for about $25. I took that money and bough a lovely Kyoko from Maison Ikkoku in long sleeve yellow and red long skirt, with a pink apron with the classic "puyo puyo" on it.

Other than that The only female figures I have are 1/6-ish scale Hikaru (crazy hard to find), Fuu, and Umi (maybe first anime thing I ever bought). 6" Christina from Gundam 0080 in flight suit, and Ami from Sailormoon on very conservative sleeping attire.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
Totally been there Anime hyper

A great example being any/all figures for Kodomo no Jikan... lol.

Hey some people like 9 year old poon... T.T

I'd prefer a figurine of Aoki-sensei myself.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
All of my figures but a couple are of girls, and yeah, a few have panties. Heck, the first one I got (gashapon of Hatsumi from Yamibou) has a removable skirt! I personally draw the line at bathing suit figures, or anything less. I just can't buy those...
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
KariOhki wrote:
All of my figures but a couple are of girls, and yeah, a few have panties. Heck, the first one I got (gashapon of Hatsumi from Yamibou) has a removable skirt! I personally draw the line at bathing suit figures, or anything less. I just can't buy those...

But...there are some cute bathing suit figures.
http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYPP-386 That one is so cute it hurts. Not trashy in the slightest.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
Lol. Personally, the level of regret I feel towards any figure is directly proportional to how much clothes they are wearing. I have this $80 Tamaki Kawazoe figure and she's showing almost no skin... and I can't help but be bored by it Anime hyper So now I feel like shelling out another 80 for the school uniform version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
On the topic of spotting-the-pantsu, I've got a beautiful Remilia Scarlet figure that looks spectacular from every angle, complete with old-fashioned bloomers. Razz
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
I love the social satire. Great job as usual, Robin.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
This comic is relevant to my interests Very Happy I just started collecting figures earlier this year, and it is SUCH an addicting hobby!!

Personally, seeing the pantsu is part of the appeal (this coming from a straight female, no less!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6