• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Co-Workers: Suspect Ichihashi Likes Ayu, Bleach, One Piece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Murdered British teacher Lindsay Ann Hawker was strangled after her hands and feet were bound with plastic cords – echoing the grisly images of Japanese Manga comics.

wonderful way they're framing this. Rolling Eyes
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
All advertised masseuses, two of the three victims were bound with plastic cords and robbed. His third victim, 26-year-old Julissa Brisman of New York, died of several gunshot wounds to her torso when she attempted to fight him off.

I guess the Craigstlist killer read manga too
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
Considering how many millions of Japanese read Bleach and One Piece, that's like saying an American criminal enjoyed football and The Office. They're really common things to enjoy and not really worth reporting on. But it is the London tabloid press, so all journalistic standards are out the window...
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Quote:
Murdered British teacher Lindsay Ann Hawker was strangled after her hands and feet were bound with plastic cords – echoing the grisly images of Japanese Manga comics.

wonderful way they're framing this. Rolling Eyes

British journalism is shit.
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
I like Bleach, and I'm a sorta-sometimes-gotta-to-be-in-the-mood fan for Ayu, so does that make me a serial killer too? Maybe a *cereal* killer...I have had a taste for it lately...

And I have to ask, what manga shows you how to murder people?! I mean, Death Note comes to mind, but even that's a stretch...
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
The London paper :/ Like anyone even reads that thing.

Sorry but most of the people in Britain who I know, didn't even know manga existed until I told them about it. I doubt anyone who reads that paper even knows what they're talking about.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I like Bleach, and I'm a sorta-sometimes-gotta-to-be-in-the-mood fan for Ayu, so does that make me a serial killer too?

It frames him as a social deviant, since it's implied he like Japanese things and not Western things. Your mileage may vary, though
Senna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Considering how many millions of Japanese read Bleach and One Piece, that's like saying an American criminal enjoyed football and The Office. They're really common things to enjoy and not really worth reporting on. But it is the London tabloid press, so all journalistic standards are out the window...

Ditto on that. Even with the supposed "hentai manga" angle -- wow, a young Japanese man who reads hentai? That's almost as shocking as an American man who reads Playboy! /sarcasm

Obviously this guy was screwed up, but Bleach, One Piece, and Ayumi Hamasaki have nothing to do with it.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
As much as I would like for something to knock Ayu, her chipmunk voice and their fans off of their high horses this isn't it. This is just stupid.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
It frames him as a social deviant, since it's implied he like Japanese things and not Western things. Your mileage may vary, though

That's a pretty long stretch, being a social deviant for liking your native culture over imported culture.

Wyvern wrote:

Would be more like pointing out that he likes TV shows aimed at teenagers but frequently watched by adults (ex: Heroes).

Even within Japan, being an adult and enjoying shonen manga would be considered somewhat "odd" by other Japanese adults that aren't fans of the medium(probably not something you'd mention on a dating site, unless you were looking for a girl who also like shonen manga).

In my opinion, normally, the fact that a suspect liked fairly common manga wouldn't be nearly odd (or "deviant") enough actually be noteworthy. That said, if the police specifically stated that they are "probing the possibility that comic book fan Ichihashi had played out a sick fantasy from one of the stories in Hentai Manga," then it's perfectly reasonable for journalists to bring it up.

-t
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
As it is in the States, Freedom of the Press also includes freedom from accuracy...they're tabloid media, bound to report "the news," just as our tabloids are bound to report every bout of intestinal gas out of Jon and Kate, or whoever the trend newsmaker of the week is...I took a Journalism survey course in college, and all that matters is what catches the eye and sells papers, truth be damned...
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
So can manga be blamed for the Falkland War?
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
British journalism is shit.

Are you a journalist to be saying that? Normally I'd just ignore stupid comments like these but...
siradix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Manga and Anime are the reason for all murders, the news told me so.

[/sarcasm]

Wink
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how long Fox News pick this up and say manga and anime are evil like video game? After that, I wonder how long till anime haters say they will forgive Fox News for bashing video game including the recent Modern Warfare 2 fiasco FOX did yesterday?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2