• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Tara & Yuri's Infinite Conversation

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
am i the only person on earth that loved the gate plot twist in Fullmetal Alchemist? i have yet to see another anime come up with such a unique idea, but it seems most people hated it.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Japan does love to cry. Ever see Nada Sou Sou? That movie is tear-soaked, and it's pretty much every Japanese movie I've seen. Though, I will admit, I got a little misty-eyed, too.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shambala gets a lot of flak, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I happened to like the parallel world story idea that tied up the series, and the tons of research they did into the time period the movie took place. I really think your "Nazis are the villains" synopsis is a bit of an oversimplification, though. The Thule Society was attached to the Nazi party, but the movie was more about the occult rather than the Nazi party proper. Hitler was not the villain in this movie.

The whole "LOL NAZIS" charge gets on my nerves, frankly, and has become an awful repeated meme detractors of the first FMA series repeat without justification.

It's a beautiful movie, though you're right that it suffers from, "We're a movie now!" syndrome.

Aw, come on, Bubblegum Crisis is awesome. A bit dumb, mind you, but extremely fun. The music and voice acting is especially solid. Hell, Yoshiko Sakakibara, Toshio Furukawa, and Shuuichi Ikeda are all in it. Kuniko Ohmori's songs and her voice as Priss are both excellent. It has this nice, raw, emotional quality to it.

Patlabor 2 is one of my favorite animated films. It first came across to me as a little pretentious, and I can see where some might come to that, given the more comedic nature of the Patlabor OVAs and TV shows. Eventually I really got into it, though, especially since it highlighted my two favorite Patlabor characters, Captains Gotoh and Nagumo, and their relationship. I always like Gotoh's subtle manipulativeness and feigned dullness and Nagumo's serious-minded passion and exasperation. Kenji Kawai's music is excellent, too. My only problem is how they sort of crowbarred in the other characters and that one action scene with the Patlabors. I know what it was going for in showing that their lives went on since the events of the OVA, but it seemed like a lack of them made it a bit detached from the core of Patlabor.

By the way, Zac, did you see it in Japanese with subtitles, the Bandai Visual/Honneamise dub, or the Manga Entertainment dub?

Why do I want cheese now?

I've convinced myself, at times, that I'd make a decent voice actor, as I voice characters in the manga I'm reading on occasion. I get over it soon after, though. I really doubt I have what it takes to be a voice actor. I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that I've got some great voice.

A lot of people complain about the same few voice actors being in English dubs for anime, but it's not like it's the VAs fault. They take the work they can get. It's not like Crispin Freeman is sitting on top of a large pile of money and women.

I don't even like the Japanese voice actor commentary tracks most of the time. Though, back to the subject of the FMA movie, some of the comments of the Japanese VAs on the commentary track were pretty funny (like how Romi Paku identifies with the Germans of that time). Even some director commentary tracks can be pretty awkward.

My favorite MST episode is "Space Mutiny". We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese!

People have gotten permanently banned from the ANN boards? Jeez.

Why shouldn't the fans see the Haruhi Suzumiya movie? When we're not being screwed around with, the show is (usually) pretty clever and very entertaining. I'm glad the movie will be a long one, that particular novel deserves as long as adaptation as they can do in a movie, and the animation should be excellent if they actually get a movie budget for it. Will it redeem the "Endless Eight" fiasco? Only time will tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dawgstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Yuri and Tara are pretty awesome. Heck, I even found out Zac and I have something in common with our favorite MST3K episode.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
FYI, Crying Out Love is the Japanese title for Socrates. And the Socrates novel's better, but "Be With You" might be more hit-and-miss.

Zac: Wait, I remember you startin' bs with me over my trashing of BGC. About the only thing great about that show is the music, which makes me wonder why they didn't release a CD here. Oh, and the best worst Japanese trailer for a non-Japanese film I've seen so far is for Tom Yum Goong.

"I want to own it"

DVD Empire currently has good deals on the film, but I'm not sure if you don't mean the Patlabor 2 BD.

As for Mel, I'm thinking that's his dad's bad influence talking, and not him. But, either way, I'm still pissed about him getting kicked off of Mad Max 4. Why not replace Harrison Ford with Shia for Indy 5, while you're at it? Oh, wait...

Justin: Good luck w/ the trip.

"Even though they know they're getting f**ked with, [Haruhi fans] will watch anyway."

That's how I feel about Evantologists. Rolling Eyes

But don't be too hard on the Japanese affection for sappy stuff, considering we made Titanic a hit. Wink

As for Patlabor 2, I consider GITS 1 and 2 to be Oshii's best work, because anyone who can condense Shirow's gobbledygook into something more coherent deserves an award. But at least Patlabor 2's more tolerable than Wings of Honneamise. Gawd, the hardcore Gainax fans really drink the cool-aid with that one.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Found the Dynasty Warriors voice work example,

Warriors Orochi (1+2)

Male role: Ranmaru Mori
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARYw8ONH8zs

Female role: Oichi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtUZHaHTWD0

Edit: Wrong video for Ranmaru had Zhu Rong put up oops....
hakojo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
One thing I've noticed while listening to ANNCast these past few weeks is that Zac in particular is very, very good at interviewing people. He keeps the conversation on track without being really pushy about it, which is nice - on other podcasts (or even video interviews) that I've heard, either the interviewer lets the guest ramble all over the place or is a total nazi about sticking to exactly the question asked. Y'all strike a nice balance between conversation and interview, which is very pleasant to listen to.

Also, Werewolf is the second best MST3K. The best is Timechasers Wink
Pandadice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
wait Zac, did you actually like Apocalypto, or was you enjoyment of it more that ironically funny type? because I watched it with a bunch of friends, and we we laughed our heads off the entire movie.. I'm sure if I watched it in a different setting I'd look at it differently though, but as is I only remember it as one of... not really "so bad it's good", but that type of thing you know..

As for Steamboy, I agree that the movie looked really cool, and I liked the setting as well. But I definitely found it too long and was checking my watch by halfway through.. And I'm definitely not in any hurry to watch through it.

It's awesome to hear how good Patlabor 2 is. I absolutely loved the first one, and this one sounds a lot better. I too was contemplating checking it out after last weeks mention of it, but I didn't.. and now I regret not getting it off that name drop.

(sorry I skipped over all the VA talk.. it seemed interesting but I just don't have an hour+ to devote to this Mad)

mmm I was expecting more from the Haruhi question.. Funny to hear you guys talk about E8 though.

as for the simuldub.. you guys watched Bakemonogatari? I'd be interested in hearing what you thought (in the ANNCast Zac, did you say it wasn't a smash hit?). I think it's weird that the guy name Bakemonogatari, then KyoAni, then any Shinbo Shaft.. It just seems redundant to ask about a specific series, then ask about the director in general...

but about that, (sorry I was only half listening) Justin did you say none of what he asked about has been released stateside, so it'd be impossible to tell?

well, considering he asked about new works from animation studios and a director (well yeah, he asked about Bakemonogatari as well..), plenty of the stuff has been released in the US.

I mean, we've got Negima!? licensed, and unless you don't count CR as actual licensing, we've got Natsu no Arashi too. and those are both Shinbo/Shaft titles. and we'll see Hidamari Sketch released at the start of the year. we're definitely being exposed to some Shinbo over here.. even if it's not his most popular stuff.

Also, we've got Clannad, Kanon (2006) and Air all licensed over here, and those are easily KyoAni's biggest titles (well, I guess that could be questioned since K-ON came out).

I think it's ridiculous to say we haven't got anything that the guy asked about in the States. I mean, I guess he did technically ask about new stuff, so he didn't actually ask about anything specific that's been licensed.. But he was asking about seeing how well those studios do here (Kanon's a hit here, isn't it?), then seeing about a simuldub of them...

in any case, I'm sure anything KyoAni puts out would be a hit over Kurokami.. I would agree that the dubbing was definitely not the issue with that series.... But I would agree that Shinbo/Shaft works would be questionable... I mean, those shows are just made for a Japanese audience. they'd have to pull a Sgt Frog on it for anyone over here to even look at it...

edit: ohh dang it. I got so into that simuldub response that I forgot to talk about the "other animation" question.

I know of this Director/studio in Poland. Tomek Baginski, and Platige Image (a studio similar to Pixar) which have put out some shorts. I'd definitely recommend checking out their stuff. This director, Tomek Baginski, is working on (iirc) a part animation, part real life, CGI film called Hardkor44, and is an alternate reality setting of WWII.

apart from that, I'm sure whoever asked the question has seen more none-American work than they think. Granted most of the none-American or none-Japanese is probably Canadian, which is still north-america.. But there are definitely French shows on TV.

Totally Spies was a French production (with heavy anime influence might I add). Code Lyoko (you didn't think that was Japanese did you?) is another super heavily influenced French production (even after watching a large amount of the series I had to look twice to see if it was japanese). and though it never aired in the States (and I haven't seen it), Galactik Football was a French production with a style to it that makes some avid anime viewers look twice before thinking it's not anime. And then there's Fantastic Planet. a joint between France and Czechoslovakia. which, though I haven't seen it, I've heard amazing things about the film and I definitely plan to watch it at some point.

I dunno why people seem to think Avatar is so close to anime. If anyone can get the "anime" look or feel, like it should be, it's the French. (and sometimes Canada i guess. when they're not making shows that mimic our own)

There's also a classic Russian film, Skazka Skazok, which has been called the greatest animated film of all time.

Last edited by Pandadice on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
am i the only person on earth that loved the gate plot twist in Fullmetal Alchemist? i have yet to see another anime come up with such a unique idea, but it seems most people hated it.

No, you're not. I thought it was awesome, very creative, and I totally did not see it coming. It's just one more factor that made FMA my favorite anime of all time.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
But at least Patlabor 2's more tolerable than Wings of Honneamise. Gawd, the hardcore Gainax fans really drink the cool-aid with that one.

um, thats not Oshii or I.G...

just saying, I don't get the relation/why you would compare the two <.<.

also, Justin, did you end up checking out Blue Literature (Aoi Bungaku)? I dunno if you'd have time with yuor trip coming up, but they just went into the next story arc, and the series is really interesting so far.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Alright, Secret of Kells got another name-drop! That film is gorgeous, no lie. Smile
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
The way they describe the Van Von Hunter movie makes it sounds pretty damn awful, I'm afraid.

Re: animation from other countries, I'd recomend a series called Oban Star-Racers from a few years ago. French, but it was dubbed with a script written by the series creator himself, plus you can get the whole series for pretty cheap.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
Panda: Well, I consider them both to be slow and overly-long vanity projects. But at least Patlabor 2 somewhat delivers.

Also, I didn't think Steamboy's animation was all that, either. But Otomo made up for it with Freedom, Tokyo Metro Explorers SOS, and even the LA Mushishi. I hope Justin mentions the second title in a future Buried Treasure.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
on people whose work we love but are nuts: I feel the same way about Orson Scott Card, love the guys work, but he's downright insane

Last edited by Animehermit on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
GATSU wrote:
But at least Patlabor 2's more tolerable than Wings of Honneamise. Gawd, the hardcore Gainax fans really drink the cool-aid with that one.

um, thats not Oshii or I.G...

just saying, I don't get the relation/why you would compare the two <.<.

Honneamise and Patlabor 2 used to be in the top ten anime movie lists on rec.arts.anime in the mid-nineties. At the time Hiroyuki Yamaga hadn't directed anything else, so Honneamise being voted the best anime movie for years, over anything by Miyazaki or Oshii, was a big deal.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
Here's what I would have done for Conquerers of Shamballa

1. Have it take place in the 40's so we can have the entire Nazi Party
2. Give Fritz Lang the ability of manga King Bradley
3. Fritz Lang takes on the entire nazi army
4. The movie ends with J. Robert Oppenheimer and Albert Einstein steal the atomic bomb
5. The Elric's return to Amestris.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3