• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! The Apology Song

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
I actually dont think you needed to apologize. I dont care who the guy is or how respectable his blog its still a stupid thing to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
Being one of the many that has had videos taken off due to TV Tokyo's claims, I have sympathy for the guy whose video was taken off. Sadly, this is one of things that AMVers face for our hobby (since, yeah, it is technically illegal; we may buy the DVDs, music, and programs, but creating the AMVs is the issue. Anyway, moving on!). But, luckily there are other ways for showing off our hobbies other than YouTube.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
Let me holla at ya, playa!

Marathoning anime: For me, it depends on the show. If it's on TV or online, I usually watch one episode a week. (In the case of TV, it's as it airs.) With DVDs, I watch at least one disc a day, sometimes two or three if I'm in the mood. (Case in point: Elfen Lied, where I marathoned that whole show in an afternoon.) When watching online, I either watch one episode a week or marathon several of them in an afternoon or an evening. I mostly marathon when I'm toward the end of a given show, as was the case with G Gundam, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Monster, Flame of Recca, and Getbackers.

Anime vs. Western animation: Neither one's superior to the other. Both have their gems, their stinkers, and everything in between, and in the end, it's all animated in Korea.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
When it comes to shows, I am, to say the least, quite interested in where it was animated and produced. So when people make the Anime vs. Western animation comparision, I think Korean animation vs Korean animation? Laughing
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
Somebody seems to have a very restrictive definition of harem anime here.

And Key's male leads aren't exactly Keiichi Morisato or even Tenchi Masaki. Yukito's a grumpy hobo. Yuuichi and Tomoya are normal high-schoolers, but still indulge in assholery regularly. (Just ask Ayu or Fuko.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
One advantage of anime in general over American animation in general for me, and it's pretty much the opposite of what a lot of other people seem to like about anime (overarching storylines and mature elements), is that there's really no North American equivalent to gentle-paced slice-of-life shows like Aria, Azumanga Daioh, or Ichigo Mashimaro. The one exception I can think of, and I hardly watched it, was the short-lived Canadian animated series For Better or For Worse, based on the comic strip by Lynn Johnston.

I love King of the Hill to death, and it's the only American series animated or otherwise that I own all seasons that have been released so far on DVD, and it has some slice-of-life elements, but it's a little too satirical and the comedy is a little too over-the-top (even if mild compared to the other Fox prime time cartoons) for me to consider it a true slice-of-life show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
Oh, comon now, man! Now you're posting spambots in Flakes?

Look...if you're in need of idiots that badly, I have a few, handy-n'-dandy, causing all sorta of tomfoolery in my creative writing class... I can tell them for you that you'll read their script for a Naruto movie, and you'll get them greenlit for production. How's that sound? =/
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
You know, Brian, you've had your share of slip-ups, but I must admire how you always come through and admit your mistakes. Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
Western animation can as much more than anime, there just isn't any funding or real fanbase for it, so the monetary support to make it a bigger reality doesn't exist.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My argument is that they are not due to the main male character having no romantic interest in any of the girls except the one. Plus, I don't think all the girls had romantic feelings for the male leads even though some did.

But then most, practically all, harem shows are like that.
It's ironic because a "harem" implies multiple girls at once, or multiple guys at once for a reverse harem, yet in every single harem show I've seen, you know right from the beginning that there's only one girl for the guy.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
I dislike this "harem" label that is slapped on shows, especially because of the stigma that's associated with it. Utawareru Mono can be called a harem anime, but if you actually watch the series, you'll quickly see how misleading that term can be. Heck, Gundam Seed Destiny can be considered "harem" because all the girls are falling for emo soldier Athrun.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:25 am Reply with quote
In regards to the passing of authors who write light novel series with both manga and anime adaptations, there has been such a case before: Trinity Blood.

And as far as I know, both the manga and anime adapted the majority of the material in the novels and left it at that, since it wouldn't really be a service to fans of any of the works to continue past where the original author wrote, since it wouldn't be his intended work anymore.

Something like Shin-chan is already random as all hell, so it's easy to continue something like that, but a series with a definite storyline and character development is not as easy to finish without knowing the original intent.

The opposite of this is obviously the manga, which I don't currently recall the name, where the author died before finishing it, but left the script with her husband, and they decided to animate it and use the unpublished script for the ending of the anime.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote
Itazura na Kiss is probably the one you're thinking of.
halo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
I personally don't see any need to apologize either. I respect Chris; he's certainly not a retard but lately his articles have been riding the short bus. His "Ten Reasons Why Slayers Will Always Suck" piece was equally stupid and then he followed it up with "Five Reasons Slayers Doesn't Suck". I think Maina is putting pressure on him to come up with articles and he's just sort of phoning it in.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
While I enjoyed reading your column/article as always: The Touhou-synced cats are awesome. Just needed to say that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5