• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Sekirei, Tetsuwan Birdy Decode & Decode:02

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loganator456

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
I'm very happy. The only thing that could make this year better would be to license both seasons of Rosario + Vampire.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
I just found out Tetsuwan Birdy Decode is directed by Kazuki Akane, who directed Noein, my all-time favorite series. I am ecstatic. Very Happy He also directed Escaflowne, I believe, so all fans of that show (and I know there are many) should be all over this.

Sekirei sounds... just like every other ecchi show, to be honest. I really don't know why Funimation picked this one up. They probably felt there was a lack of these kinds of shows in their catalog, but I would have rather seen them pick up something else.

I've never really been a fan of Full Metal Panic, sorry.

Hey Funimation, I know this would totally sell terribly and cost way more than it's worth, but if you ever feel the need to pick up a show that otherwise will 100% not get a dub and will probably not make it overseas, you should look at Kaiba. I'm still hoping for that one.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
What's that smell? The smell of cheap licenses? It couldn't be Laughing
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
I just found out Tetsuwan Birdy Decode is directed by Kazuki Akane, who directed Noein, my all-time favorite series. I am ecstatic. Very Happy He also directed Escaflowne, I believe, so all fans of that show (and I know there are many) should be all over this.

Sekirei sounds... just like every other ecchi show, to be honest. I really don't know why Funimation picked this one up. They probably felt there was a lack of these kinds of shows in their catalog, but I would have rather seen them pick up something else.

I've never really been a fan of Full Metal Panic, sorry.

Hey Funimation, I know this would totally sell terribly and cost way more than it's worth, but if you ever feel the need to pick up a show that otherwise will 100% not get a dub and will probably not make it overseas, you should look at Kaiba. I'm still hoping for that one.
Yeah the day Kaiba is picked up is the day I cry tears of happiness. But until then I'll be waiting like you. Kemonozume is also something that I'm waiting for, and is by the same director. But I doubt that will come stateside.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Oooh I like that Full Metal Panic news. Maybe now I can finally get some replacements for the crappy Heavy Metal Collection I have that ADV put out that won't cost me ~$80.

Yay, Funimation!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
I've heard some good things about Birdy so I'll check that out when it comes, and it looks like they plan to release everything a bit quicker than normal, that's nice.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
I dont why you guys are bickering about this ya'll! But Sekirei is license, that's like a big pull for Funimation and I mean this is big, srsly!
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
Nice to get Blu-ray releases for FMP and Fumoffu to match TSR, even though they will be upscales, and Fumoffu will probably have the same issue with dropped frames in the OP as TSR did.

It would be nice to get Blu-ray releases for Birdy Decode, as it didn't get one in Japan even though it was broadcast in HD. Excellent show, even if it didn't have much of a following.

As for Sekirei, the less I say the better.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Am i the only person who rolls his eyes when funi-soft licenses something?

Now sure i already own all of FMP so that is a minor issue. When i hear Funi license something i like, example Sekirei, or Birdy, that's a marker to wait for it to be cheep, unlike with Bandai or Right stuf where i often preorder first runs with them.

-G, who thinks funi is a bit to close to a monopoly these days
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Am i the only person who rolls his eyes when funi-soft licenses something?

When it comes to being concerned about monopolization, yes, I don't think that's changed. Razz

Nothing big here for me apart from maybe Birdy. That's been a show I've been sort of considering watching for quite a while.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I know! Ecchi shows shouldn't be licensed! There are anime that are SO MUCH BETTER that DESERVE to be licensed (albeit Natsume Yuujinchou, 07-Ghost, Jungle Emperor Leo 2009 special, World Masterpiece Theater titles, Kamichama Karin, Nanatsuiro Drops, etc.)!!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Lame, sexually autistic, milquetoast boy gets turned into a pretty space alien woman dressed in a santly clad battle suit? Call that new? Yawn. Rolling Eyes
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Well I've always been a fan of the original Birdy the Mighty OAV

when I saw Decode, I was just...unimpressed :/ and turned off by all the new character designs

but I hope it does well. so then maybe Funi will pick up the license to the OAV too? please?
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

I know! Ecchi shows shouldn't be licensed! There are anime that are SO MUCH BETTER that DESERVE to be licensed (albeit Natsume Yuujinchou, 07-Ghost, Jungle Emperor Leo 2009 special, World Masterpiece Theater titles, Kamichama Karin, Nanatsuiro Drops, etc.)!!

Just be glad we're getting more anime over here AT ALL.

I didn't see Birdy the Mighty Decode coming. Now if someone would rescue the old OVA, that'd be great.

Now if they'd also rescue Revolutionary Girl Utena, Record of Lodoss War, Legend of Lemnear, Trigun, and Fushigi Yuugi...

Also, why hasn't anyone picked up Golgo 13 yet?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess if generic ecchi fighting shows are selling then I can't fault FUNi for licensing Sekirei.

Birdy wasn't bad though. I rather liked the original OVA so seeing the characters again and getting more story this time around was a treat.

Also, yes. Please FUNimation, license something for us that crave innovation and get Kaiba or Time of Eve, or both! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6