• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2009 Space Battleship Yamato Film Has 2 Endings Made

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Usually the popular choice would seem obvious... but then, this is the country that produced Jin-Roh... Wink
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
I will never understand why studios allow film audiences to make editing decisions (other than the obvious of wanting to have a large turnout for the theatrical release). I'm not sure how different (if any) Japanese film audiences/ system is, but in the Hollywood system, films tend to receive the dues ex machina ending (I am Legend, Brazil) for their theatrical release(which sounds like one of the options here). Ultimately the ending should be what fits better into the overall themes of the film, a decision that should be left in the hands of the people who've spent years working on the project, not someone who's watched it for a couple of hours. /Rant

I'm sure both endings will make it to the dvd/blu-ray release. It'll be interesting to see the differences between the two.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Probably the choices would be "The Yamato save the Earth and is saved" and "Yamato saves the Earth making a heroic last stand, getting destroyed".
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Cosplay: In this case, they don't have much of a choice. There's no guarantee this sucker will make money as much as its predecessors. If it were like Gundam, they could do whatever they wanted with it.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
They should still put both endings on the DVD and allow people to choose to view "A" or "B". I have several major movies like that on DVD. Oh yeah, someone mentioned one of them, I am Legend has two endings on the disc.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Lame. If you have something to day with your ending then say it otherwise don't waste our time with your lack of vision of where things should go.

Even as a purely promotional trick this is lame.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
My own views about this sort of practice aside, perhaps the preview audiences should be credited as being creative staff. Their role in selecting the ending -which prima facie appears to be a matter of life or death for the film's protagonists- is a notable one.

Wasn't reaction to Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato somewhat hostile though? ("This is the film that almost got Matsumoto lynched" is part of the official R1 DVD description, I believe.) It would seem they're 'testing the water' to prevent the audience falling out of favour with the conclusion, perhaps to prevent this from happening again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Is there an ending in which Leiji Matsumoto kicks Nishizaki in the ass for doing a Yamato without him?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Is there an ending in which Leiji Matsumoto kicks Nishizaki in the ass for doing a Yamato without him?

I'll pay to see that.

I still kinda think that it is unfair to use the guy's designs then not actually include him. Oh well.

But this is going to be like that movie Australia. That movie failed so much .... because what happened was that they originally had the movie ending a sorta sad one, the main male hero died. But when they went and showed it to the preview audience, people came out of the movie sad, so they changed it.

So when you watch the movie now, it builds up to this great finale and then trickles down to this love sick, pathetic ending. It might have been a good movie but alas failed for not having anything decent in it ...

I hope Yamato doesn't end up like that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
But this is going to be like that movie Australia. That movie failed so much .... because what happened was that they originally had the movie ending a sorta sad one, the main male hero died. But when they went and showed it to the preview audience, people came out of the movie sad, so they changed it.

That is partly true, and bittersweet endings do work sometimes. Just look at Titanic. But Australia also didn't do so well because it was made to be an Ozzie version of Lord of the Rings. They were looking for the same boost to Australia's tourism market that Peter Jackson gave New Zealand. Therefore Australia (the movie) was made it into one big long commercial for Australia (the country), and so not surprisingly it ended up as a snorefest instead.

Anyway, I can see why Nishizaki is doing this stunt (publicity and fear of getting on the wrong side of the fans), but I don't agree with it. Show some backbone man.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is, Nishizaki was the one who wanted to end Yamato with Farewell, and it was Matsumoto who felt that "young people should not die" and made the second series a version of that movie that ended on a happier note. Though, to be frank, not much happier, as many of the same characters still died.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Panon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Wasn't reaction to Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato somewhat hostile though? ("This is the film that almost got Matsumoto lynched" is part of the official R1 DVD description, I believe.) It would seem they're 'testing the water' to prevent the audience falling out of favour with the conclusion, perhaps to prevent this from happening again.

Matsumoto should have been lynched for being the driving force behind retconning Farewell.

To answer your question though, reaction was not hostile to Farewell, it was very well received and successful. It's reception could basically be divided into people who loved it and thought it was a fitting ending, and and people who wanted more Yamato. Matsumoto was against the idea of Yamato's cast dying and Farewell being the ending from the very beginning and just pushed until he finally got his way and Yamato II got the green light.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, as beautiful as the end of Farewell was, when you think about it, it completely contradicts itself.

"As long as we have our lives, there's hope... so, let's kill ourselves!"

The second series had a more sensible end, even if it wasn't as well-animated or as emotional as the second movie. And we got more Yamato afterwards, for better or worse.

But I felt that, after Final, having more Yamato is just ridiculous. Maybe if it was a remake of the original, I could see doing it, but this is just too much.

(I have a feeling I'll be watching it, anyway.)
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:

Matsumoto should have been lynched for being the driving force behind retconning Farewell.

Totally disagree. I wish more franchises would do the "That last movie? Never happened." approach.

I believe this is simply a publicity gimmick. Would audiences really want to see Yamato get resurrected just to get blown up again?

As for the DVD; it would not surprise me at all if Nishizaki made you buy two separate DVDs to get both endings. This is the guy that is making you buy the CD single for this movie three times.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
As for the DVD; it would not surprise me at all if Nishizaki made you buy two separate DVDs to get both endings. This is the guy that is making you buy the CD single for this movie three times.

That is such a rip off. Seriously? You want me to by another CD to get the Rock version? Yeah right ...

But considering like one anime DVD is 50 bucks for two episodes ... pretty expensive already.

And the bluray of GE999 movies cost over 415 bucks (USD) ... for three so let's think about two movies then ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1