• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AIC to Replace Gonzo on 2nd Strike Witches Season

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
Noooo. GONZO ;_;

This could turn out good or bad in the long run, but I think, in general shows switching studios in between seasons has turned out poorly. Just look at Gunslinger Girl ~Il Teatrino. Anyways, AIC certainly has produced plenty of mediocre stuff.

Even if the actual directing staff does end up being mostly the same, it may have a negative effect on the show's broadcast and licensing outside of Japan, since GONZO was so eager in making foreign partnerships.

Last edited by einhorn303 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
EvilEmperor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
As I have not heard anything about the 2nd season since it was announced, I already feared that it will die with GONZO.. Now at least that there will be a 2nd season coming.

With one of their best selling titles gone, does that means GONZO will be shutting down at any moment?
mabber36

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Noooo. GONZO Anime cry

gonzo is bad, so this is good news. aic has been doing nothing but good shows lately, with sore no otoshinomono and nyankoi
TJR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
This could turn out good or bad in the long run, but I think, in general shows switching studios in between seasons has turned out poorly. Just look at Gunslinger Girl ~Il Teatrino. Anyways, AIC certainly has produced plenty of mediocre stuff.

I think a change in financing and/or main staff is usually the biggest culprit, regardless of studio assignment.

Quote:
With one of their best selling titles gone, does that means GONZO will be shutting down at any moment?

Gonzo remains on the Strike Witches production committee, so they still make money from the project.

Last year, they already announced an intention to downsize and shift away from the traditional market (no more otaku focus, I guess), so this might be part of the process. At the time, they mentioned something about becoming involved with "casual anime".
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
The last "GOOD" (IMMHO) anime franchise AIC ever did was El Hazard, Battle Athletes, and Tenchi Muyo's Pretty Sammy spin-off. Because right now, anime is about "male leads who are either losers or non-existent." Titles like these SUCK overall and are sure to BOMB in the West.

And last I heard, Gonzo's working on Seitokai no Ichizon (which SUCKS despite the fanservice).
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
Good, the quicker we deal with Gonzo the first, the quicker we can put a bullet into Gonzo the Second (KyoAni)
Cloud668

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
And last I heard, Gonzo's working on Seitokai no Ichizon (which SUCKS despite the fanservice).

No, that's Deen. Gonzo was only credited for assistance for an episode with a Strike Witches parody. And yes, I agree that the show sucks.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
I knew Gonzo isn't doing very well, but with these news it seems like they are in mortal peril...

Lets hope second season of Strike Witches is an improvement, though first one wasn't horrible either - just "watchable".
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
Cloud668 wrote:
No, that's Deen. Gonzo was only credited for assistance for an episode with a Strike Witches parody. And yes, I agree that the show sucks.

That's what I meant. Cool

Conan-san wrote:
Good, the quicker we deal with Gonzo the first, the quicker we can put a bullet into Gonzo the Second (KyoAni)

But wait. There are more people in the West who actually LIKE the shows Gonzo did than the shows from KyotoAnimu.

Or, more to the point, Gonzo doesn't have to force you to dance to some stupid song in public. Laughing
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:

The second Gunslinger Girl season wasn't ALL bad. Yeah, the art's changed and all, but hey at least it was faithful to the manga in various ways. Plus you should see the review it got on the Star Crossed Anime Blog.
Panon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

Thanks for the laugh
giascle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
I'm disappointed; GONZO might suck, but they know how to do fanservice. Since that's all this show is, I don't have high hopes for season 2.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:47 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

But wait. There are more people in the West who actually LIKE the shows Gonzo did than the shows from KyotoAnimu.

Or, more to the point, Gonzo doesn't have to force you to dance to some stupid song in public. Laughing[/quote]They are both arms of the dark spectre and hence need to be destroyed.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
That's a shame.
Series are never the same when they shift animation studio so I have to say I'm not looking forward to this as much now, especially since the studio in question are actually worse than Gonzo in terms of recent track record.
As for Gonzo, their shows still continue to do well in the West, so they still have a healthy income from that. I mean Afro Samurai must have made more money for them than the likes of Haruhi made in Japan.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
Ouch, low blow for Gonzo. I'm pretty sure that Strike Witches has been their top selling show in recent times, and some of their more recent shows (Shangri-La in particular) have really bombed in the DVD aspect.

And now when I think of Gonzo, I think of that terrible Arad Senki ~Slap Up Party~ anime, and cry because it turned me off of so many similar fantasy anime. If anyone knows a good RPG-style fantasy anime that can get me to forget Arad Senki, feel free to suggest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4