• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Big O (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G2KMaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
Ah, I think that was on the interviews on the season 1 DVDs. The Bandai stuff. Didn't know it also applied that what happened in 2003. As for the ratings bit, it seems that Wiki got it's information from the same source I got mine. But if the rathings were so bad, then why do some people still say that the ratings were good? That the ratings increased Adult Swim's viewing audience and such?
G2KMaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
For fans of the anime, I have written a history of Big-O toys. So in case you are looking for some specific stuff, company name would be very beneficial when searching google.

http://thebigorevolution.blogspot.com/2009/11/big-o-toys-history.html
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
Ah! Big O! I LOVE Big O! Especially it's novel take on the Super Robot genre! ^^

And, yes, I DO think the show needs a third season! Too many unanswered questions, too much unresolved.

Of course, who knows if we'll EVER get to see a third season or any other kind of follow up to the show but... Big O was recently featured in SRWZ and nothing gets people reinterested in long forgotten shows like SRW. Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
Damn, now I want a Big O toy. Where would a good place to get one be?

I think Big Duo would be the one I'd get, since it's my favorite Megadeus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
G2KMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
And, yes, I DO think the show needs a third season! Too many unanswered questions, too much unresolved.

Good, read my blog and it will tell how you can help get that done.

penguintruth wrote:
Damn, now I want a Big O toy. Where would a good place to get one be?

I think Big Duo would be the one I'd get, since it's my favorite Megadeus.

Ebay, Ebay, Ebay. Especialy with the new chogokin figure, it has become a hell of alot easier to get a Big-O toy. Took me three years to get mine.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
G2KMaster wrote:
Ah, I think that was on the interviews on the season 1 DVDs. The Bandai stuff. Didn't know it also applied that what happened in 2003. As for the ratings bit, it seems that Wiki got it's information from the same source I got mine. But if the rathings were so bad, then why do some people still say that the ratings were good? That the ratings increased Adult Swim's viewing audience and such?

Because the Big O series was the only anime series to lead Saturday action and Sunday comedy and be the top in rating in terms of viewers...

And although I would love to have more of the series, I'm not sure it would happen..
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Big O, I remember watching the first season on Toonami as a kid, then years later I finished the show up when I stumbled across a second season release.

That being said, Big O has one of the worst OPs I have ever seen. The music is hilariously terrible, and the animation looks like a cut and paste job done about 15 minutes before the first episode aired. It made me miss the custom intros that Toonami used to make for their shows.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Nice article. That Big Fau figure Shocked Shocked It's a shame it never got made. I considered buying one of the models once, but you had to paint it, and I wouldn't be able to do that in any satisfying way. I'm still holding out hope that Revoltech will make Big O figures. They make figures for series new and old, and not always super popular ones, so it's a possibility. And they're in my price range Laughing
G2KMaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
spooksmagee wrote:
Big O has one of the worst OPs I have ever seen. The music is hilariously terrible, and the animation looks like a cut and paste job done about 15 minutes before the first episode aired. It made me miss the custom intros that Toonami used to make for their shows.

1. I bet you are not a big fan of Queen, since the opening song is heavily Queen inspired

2. The cut and paste effect was what they were going for. I thought it worked.
The Grey Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see more Big-O, but I agree that it doesn't need a third season. I've learned that more doesn't equal better. No reason to not appreciate the two seasons we've been blessed with.
animeandshakespeare

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
The whole point was to leave you with questions. Frankly, from a pure story stand point, I could have lived without season 2. The entire series was a discussion of free will vs determinism. What better ending could there be than Roger and Big O going out to fight an impossible battle because "some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella!" Wow! I still get chills remembering that.
Treiz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see more, perhaps an OVA to tie up the end of the second season first, then a third season or a movie. If they make it, I will buy. In the mean time I think I'm going to hunt down some collectibles.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm really not fond of that second season, I feel that the way the first season ended, while sure, it left a lot hanging, explained enough that you could use your imagination to fill in the blanks (such as spoiler[why was the world so messed up? because there was a war fought with the megadeuses, why did everyone lose their memory? in the hope that no one would remember how to pilot a megadeus so the war could never happen again etc])

while the second season is pretty entertaining, it goes SO off the rails with the storyline that it feels like the writers were just throwing whatever they could think of in there without any rhyme or reason ( spoiler[everything is a big Truman Show style set! no wait! it's all virtual reality and everyone is a robot! or something ]) and despite all that it still ends with pretty much everything left hanging, the first season ends much more elegantly
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I would have preferred it if they just had made the second season a direct adaptation of the 6 volume manga.

One of my favorite parts of the series is the banter between Roger and Dorothy. It's great stuff.
SaiyanYasha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Great Robots in this series.:wink:it holds a great storyline of X files cyborg justice on the Sega Genesis Law and order and Pacific Rim. Now, a third season? I don't think they'd allow it. it's better to have something ending at where it ends rather then continue it with another season. for starters, if it gets a third season it'll look just as screwed up as Dragonball Z Kai and sailor moon Crystal combined. not to mention it's probably the same thing soul eater went through if Big O had a spin off anime series that has the same animation as it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2