• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you think Case Closed/Detective Conan

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I have been reading the Case Closed/Detective Conan manga. I have 12 volumes. I have more interest in other manga series, and seeing as money is tight, I have been cleaning up my manga collection. At one time I really liked Case Closed, but I'm not as big on it now as I once was. I rate is as decent, i'm not wholly interested in it, but I didn't lose my time. So what I'm asking is your opinion. What do you think of Case Closed? Do think I should continue with the series, or do you think I should sell it and use that money to get volumes of other series? I realize that the decision will be mine alone, but I want to know what others think.
driverstart

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I have all the current English manga volumes. It's a good series, but it pretty much stays the way it is currently. Every now and then it continues the plot and adds a new character that adds onto the story. It's rather reptitive, but it is a well written story and all the mysteries were very good brain teasers if you try to figure them out. If you like it and want to keep going, then go for it. However, be prepare to be in it for the long haul. It's currently over 60 volumes in Japan!
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Well after Volume 12, I found Volume 13 to be really good. It's well worth reading at least that if your going to drop the series. After that I didn't like much until volume 16 though, but after that it's been gold. Shame it sort of fell into a slump in the middle there though. Volume 16-20 were great. 19 stands out because the introduce a new main character, and she helps make the show more interesting. I think it fell into a rut again a volume or two after that though, up until around volume 25 or so. After that it really got good again. I think the series does fall into little ruts now and then, where I feel like it's not going anywhere, and I'm tired of all the mysterious. But usually when I say that Aoyama either does something completely new, introduces a new character, or moves the plot along (with the Black Orginization), so I must say I think he knows what he's doing. I say it's worth keeping up with it, because eventually it gets to the point where it's paced even better.

And on the whole it's quite a good series.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. Now I'm thinking about keeping Case Closed. There are othe rmanga that I may be getting rid of anyway, however I would still like people's opinion on this before I make a final decision. So people, don't be afraid to comment. I want your opinions. I am open to whatever you have to say.
EmmanuelZorg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
It's a fair manga and anime show, i'm not really into it but it's quite enjoyable.
usamangafan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I love trying to solve the mysteries. I've only seen the dubbed anime and movies though.

I'd like to see this series conclude. Like was said before, a lot of it is just repetitive since nearly every case is a murder case. I think with 60 issues there should be some close. I want to read the manga, but being short on money and time I haven't been able to yet. I hope to eventually.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
It's good, but I ditched it after 8 volumes because it was becoming repetitive and I didn't have the money or space to keep buying it!
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Also would like a conclusion. That's a problem I've been having recently with some ongoing stuff. Ones like Chii's Sweet Home, I'm okay with. But Conan, I can't take that characters being in the dark like that and would like to see the end(and reactions).
Kaitou KID

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
It kinda depends on why you read Conan, I guess. I for example read Conan mainly because I like detective stories and Conan is pretty much the only series that is 1) published regularly and 2) actually features great orthodox detective stories.

Of course, if you are less interested in detectives and read Conan for the main storyline, I'd advice you to stop, or only to pick up the volumes with the important story arcs. I'm up-to-date with the Japanese volumes and while I have no complaints about the detective stories, I could sure complain about how slow the main storyline is 'progressing'.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote
It's a classic and excellent series.

The characters and mysteries really sell me on it. No, the love triangle between Satou, Takagi, and Shiratori has nothing to do with the main plot, but is still enjoyable to see it develop and grow over the course of the series. As is whatever crazy situations the Deduction Queen Sonoko ends up in. The Osaka Duo are also always nice to see how tsundere they are for each other. And, of course, Kaitou and Conan's constant battles.
The American Average

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
It's a classic and excellent series.

The characters and mysteries really sell me on it. No, the love triangle between Satou, Takagi, and Shiratori has nothing to do with the main plot, but is still enjoyable to see it develop and grow over the course of the series. As is whatever crazy situations the Deduction Queen Sonoko ends up in. The Osaka Duo are also always nice to see how tsundere they are for each other. And, of course, Kaitou and Conan's constant battles.

Agreed personally i find those side stories more enjoyable than the real plot of Shinichi trying to find the Black Organization and turn back to normal Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1