• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Visual Novels

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alloflifedecays

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but the topic seemed to fit this one better than any of the other ones.

I've just gotten into visual novels recently. I've read Tsukihime, Kagetsu Tohya and Fate/Stay Night, and the medium really interests me. I was just wondering, what are the most notable/best visual novels? What ones would you recommend to someone who had seen very little of the Visual Novel world? And don't worry about adult content. I could care less about whether there's nudity/violence/bad language in it.

So yeah, what are your recommendations?
hypersoda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
A couple of good ones are Narcissu and True Remembrance. Both have been (legally) translated and released in English. You can find both at insani's website.

Narcissu also has a prequel called Narcissu -Side 2nd-. They are still working on the official translation.
momamario

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the ones listed, I don't know if you'd enjoy a romance VN, but if you do there is always good ol' Clannad and Kanon (Little Busters too).
Otherwise May Sky is a free dojin visual novel that has been translated into English.
Clannad and Kanon will be hard to get, and the translations are not completely finished, so it might be iffy sometimes.
May Sky on the other hand is finished and quite good, the only problem is that there is no choices to be made, it's a set story that isn't going to change. (there's a word for that, but I forget it right now)[/i]
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
mangagamer recently just translated suika and de capo. I bought both recently.

http://www.mangagamer.com/main/

Also al|together translate legal VN for free. They get permission from the author before translating.
rosetaylor01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking of making a Visual Novel, I've found an engine that would make it easier to make. Anyone want to join? What's missing is art, sound and most importantly someone to write a story, it could be something simple, which would probably be best for now, anyone intrested tell me on the IRC or something.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
rosetaylor01 wrote:
I'm thinking of making a Visual Novel, I've found an engine that would make it easier to make. Anyone want to join? What's missing is art, sound and most importantly someone to write a story, it could be something simple, which would probably be best for now, anyone intrested tell me on the IRC or something.
And your part in this project would be what? If you plan to make a visual novel you should have some skills or some kind of plan to make people excited about it. No one wants to work for free in a project without a plan when they could join some of the dozens of other projects with a plan and talented people.
maxxus0923

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
this one is also good.... Planetarian... even though lacks of action... it really packs up with the drama... i really liked it... Princess Waltz.... a pretty good one too if your interests is on the action side... im working a visual novel on my self though.. for now what i can only do is the story line... btw here is the plot.

Quote:
Year 2036, 16 years old Rin Natsushima, a 2 time champion of a tactical sniping contest has a very unusual ability... He has an ability called time fraction(ability to slow time but cannot totally stop time, just like turning 1 second into 1minute to 1hour action). After winning his 2nd Championship in World Tactical Sniping Competition he is suddenly teleported to the Kingdom of Altaur, a kingdom where men are hated and treated like slaves for some reasons in the past. While running along the forest he stumbled upon a group of young women they call Princess Knights
sakurafice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
tsukihime is the only VN that i've read and i thought it was great... (still gotta get to FSN...)
but from what i've heard clannad is a good VN
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Fate Stay/Night is truly a unique experience, I doubt any VN could even come close to replicating it. If you have any interest in this medium of entertainment, it would be silly of you to pass it up. Be prepared, it is a lengthy read (think LotR type lengthy). You'll spend literally days (doesn't include stopping) reading through the content.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
If you like a good mystery or horror there's Higurashi and Umineko

I know manga gamer is releaseing Higurashi some time this month, and Witch Hunt does the Umineko games. Though I think they only do translation patches, you have to buy the game disk online. Which is pretty easy seeing as you can find the episode 1 - 4 pack for like $40 on most sites.

Other wise I really don't know many VNs
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
I recommend the Swan Song, it's quite a rollercoaster ride.
boki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
The stuff at http://vnovel.info/ is great if you're looking for engaging stories, as opposed to adult content. Their latest one is a little darker in theme.
arche387

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
the ones that i like are ever17 though its very long , higurashi and now im gonna start tsukihime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1