• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Do the Mario

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
That's the PAL cover, btw.
Shuichi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
No, it's not. It has the ESRB logo.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
Shuichi wrote:
No, it's not. It has the ESRB logo.

Right, that and it was sent to SquareEnix's entire press mailing list earlier today as the NA box art.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
Y'know, I sent out a tip about the NMH2 ESRB rating to like 2 other sites, and neither of them seemed to think it was newsworthy. Thank you for unintentionally making my day once again, Todd.

Also, I never did pick up the Phoenix Wright games on DS. If they're coming to WiiWare (for affordable prices), though, I may consider it. On the one hand, it'd be easier to download them than tracking down DS copies, especially since I like my games crisp and new. On the other hand, I have enough console games I haven't played yet as it is, and the portable format is a lot more convenient. Hmmmm... decisions, decisions...

Gotta pick up my copies of Zelda and Silent Hill next week, too. I tried playing Silent Hill 2 a while ago and gave it up just a few hours in because of how frustratingly, utterly unintuitive the gameplay was. I had to check a guide like three times in four hours because I was completely, hopelessly stuck and there were no hints. The guides always pointed me to an arbitrary series of events that made no logical sense and without which I couldn't, say, pick up the key that was ON THE FLOOR RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I have high hopes for Shattered Memories, though - I really hope it lives up to its potential, at least enough to be a refreshing and deep experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You like the Wind Waker look and laugh at the idea of a “realistic” Zelda.

I hated Wind Waker, and Minish Cap, but Phantom Hourglass finally made that version of the series tolerable. So I'm hoping this isn't just the same game inspired by Galaxy Express 999, rather than Jojo, this time.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
I miss Popful Mail. That game rocked. At the time, I didn't realize WD liked to "toughen up" the games they localized. No wonder I can't beat that game to this day -_- About a year ago, I gave it my best shot, too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
vt: Man, you want a pain in the ass WD game, try Alundra for the PS1.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
Aw, no mention of the difficulty level of New Super Mario Bros. Wii? There's a reason the Super Guide is in there; Nintendo knows a lot of people will be going into this as their first Mario sidescroller (that is, people who only started getting into video games with the Wii) and this will be too much for some of them.

I mean...those weird scrolling platforms that take the funny paths start showing up in World 3's castle.

I don't shun the more realistic looking art style of the Zelda games, but I do enjoy the "Toon" style a lot more. They're an odd mix of serious and whimsical that I think the series ought to be.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I found no evidence to support it, but I vaguely recall Square Enix putting out perfume for an older Final Fantasy, perhaps X or X-2.

Well, there was FFVII "Cloud Strife Perfume" shown at TGS this year. I know Cloud is kinda scrawny, but perfume? At least it's unisex. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Link's Awakening will never be topped by another Zelda, I've accepted this.

Yeah, but it's hard to do. Link's Awakening and Link to the Past are still my two favorite Zelda games.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
Emerje: I'm gonna disagree and say Majora's Mask should also be up there.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
Wow, Popful Mail. I loved that game! I beat it once, but was never good enough to get the extras. I'd play it again if my Sega CD was hooked up (and if I remember where I put that system).

That would be fun if those characters did make a cameo.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the amazing Cave shooter ESPgaluda II Black Label will arrive on the Japanese Xbox 360 in February. No one's said if it'll be region-free like Cave's recent Mushime-sama Futari, but I really hope it is.

I really hope so, too!
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote
I'm not much of a Ys fan, but out of the two anime adaptations the second one was mostly alright. While the first was a bit too long and dragged out with uneven visuals, the second had a more interesting story and seemed to make better use of its limited running time.

None of them are truly memorable though, in all honesty.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
I liked the Dragon Slayer 80's movie...better than that CG crap we get every day
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I'm not much of a Ys fan, but out of the two anime adaptations the second one was mostly alright. While the first was a bit too long and dragged out with uneven visuals, the second had a more interesting story and seemed to make better use of its limited running time.

None of them are truly memorable though, in all honesty.

Actually, having watched the Ys OVAs and played Ys I & II through the Virtual Console, I have the opposite opinion. The Ys I OVA is actually really good, as it really fleshes out the story that the game barely had and makes for an overall much more enjoyable telling.

The Ys II OVA, though, compresses the much more expansive story that the game had into only 4 episodes. There's so much more to the story that the OVA skipped out on. It's not a bad OVA by any means, but the game tells a much better and fleshed out story.

So, overall, the Ys I OVA improves on the first game's story while the Ys II OVA is more like what we usually see from RPG-based OVAs: a compressed version of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4