• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Makes Yahoo's Top 10 for Search Terms in 2009

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Back in late 2003 when I started watching Naruto, I never thought it would one day be this well known in the USA.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
I don't care what some people say, Naruto kicks ass. I don't see how some people can hate Naruto and love One Piece I mean there almost the same thing but Ninja/pirates people say Naruto doesn't dress like a Ninja well Luffy doesn't do a good job dressing like a Pirate either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
People still use Yahoo?

I kid, I kid... but someone had to say it.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
Back in late 2003 when I started watching Naruto, I never thought it would one day be this well known in the USA.
You understand the internet is called the "world wide web" for a reason, right?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
ReiClone88 wrote:

Except it's not, but your intentions are probably pure, so whatever.
niiica

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
I rely on Yahoo for my news, lol.

I'm not surprised. Naruto's everywhere. At one point, they even sold those head protectors at my old school... Chyeah. And now that Naruto Shipuudden (can never spell that right) is on DisneyXD, I guess it's even more popular since they introduced the series to a new audience.

I actually didn't like Naruto before, but I guess after reading the manga, my POV changed quite a bit. The series is okay. Smile
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
I knew from the beginning that Naruto would become the next great hit as Dragon Ball once was but still... wow... Top search in yahoo... Shocked
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:09 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I don't care what some people say, Naruto kicks ass. I don't see how some people can hate Naruto and love One Piece I mean there almost the same thing but Ninja/pirates people say Naruto doesn't dress like a Ninja well Luffy doesn't do a good job dressing like a Pirate either.

It's actually pretty common; when an anime gets "too" popular it will almost always recieve a group of haters. why can't people just watch what they like without other people bashing them for watching what they enjoy?!

For examples see Dragon Ball and Inuyasha.

Good for Naruto BTW
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
MetatronM wrote:
ReiClone88 wrote:

Except it's not, but your intentions are probably pure, so whatever.
If this was the very different Yahoo! Japan, I wouldn't be surprised. But the one being covered is the original American site, so it's different.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
This isn't unusual online. It's all more concentrated here. Lycos and others still consider 'Dragonball' their most-searched term ever for almost 10 years consecutively. I'm pretty sure Inuyasha and Pokemon lasted higher up on search engines for more weeks than Naruto will ever reach. It's a brief spell of Naruto due to the fan fervor online in recent years. It's nothing impressive. It's pretty normal, since it's being called "The Next Dragonball".

However, in Japan, One Piece is closer to being considered the next Dragonball than any other anime.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/2969.html "The Only TV Series That's Done It"
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-104336619.html
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Chu+Mei-Feng,+Center+of+Taiwanese+Sex+Scandal,+Conquers+Dragonball+to...-a082001340
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-77025105.html
http://www.naruto2.com/Information/Press_Releases/Lycos50NarutotheNextDragonball.aspx
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Frankly I'm even more shocked that there are people who use Yahoo as a search engine.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
[trollface] Now if only people would look up a good anime series. Ayooooh. Nice to know Naruto is equated with dreck like American Idol. -rimshit- [/trollface]
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
SS_Vegeta wrote:
However, in Japan, One Piece is closer to being considered the next Dragonball than any other anime.
I think that's why I give Naruto fans online, as well as friends who watch it, so much crap. I'm just jealous that One Piece isn't the more popular shonen manga and anime in the US like it is in Japan.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Actually I am getting fed up with Google. When Google first came out it was the best thing since sliced bread. Frankly it remained that way for a long, long time. Rare was it that the item I was looking for didn't show up on the first page. Now days it seems like first page(s) are filled with more junk than sites that are relevant to my search query. I don't know if they have changed there engine or what, but I am definitely fed up with it. I wish another engine would come along and start innovating the product again. Maybe there is one and I just haven't found it yet.

As someone already mentioned Yahoo! is pretty good with news. Particularly business and finance news. If I ever need to find out something dealing with those sectors, that's where I head.

I am surprised Naruto beat out American Idol. Seriously. People (and I'm not one of them) go ape shit over that crap. I've seen it! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

People dont like the series in general. They just dont like the english dub for both series cause it wasit's either they dont like dubs completely and prefer inaccuracte fansubs or they dont like popular series like them to be dubbed.

It was like this even before Funi did the license rescue and when Naruto Shippuden had multi fansubs on veoh. Especially here in NYC where people will rather fansubs of the kids english version.

The other reason is cause it's kinda too long for it's own good. Sure i got no problem with that but others dont. Not to metioned that their comparing One Piece similar to pokemon now. Sure i like both series and i'm a rabid pokemaniac,not that is BEYOND Crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2