• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 801 Media Adds Under Grand Hotel Yaoi Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
From the news release, that looks like... a bunko edition? I hope this isn't the start of an industry trend. I read manga primarily for the art, so reduced art size isn't a selling point for me, especially not at about twice the price. Paper and print quality would have to be very high to balance it out.
Cait

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I'd actually see this title get licensed at all, actually. The print size might be due to a number of reasons: art transfer wouldn't size up well, publisher or artist demanded original print size be retained, etc. I'll probably be getting it, but if the print size is an issue, I won't be supporting such endeavors in the future.
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Never thought I'd actually see this title get licensed at all, actually.

That was my initial reaction, too. Then again, I also thought that when Sex Pistols was licensed.

Since this is ostensibly inspired by a popular American show and isn't overburdened with cultural niceties, it has potential to do well(?) It fills a niche in the stateside market where most of the recent BL is schoolboy romance.
Beruda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
Wow! Never thought this would get licensed. Looking forward to this.

B.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Yes this is the bunko edition, like Kizuna will be. I'll have to see what 801 and June do with those before I pass judgment. After all, they make other books bigger. Though I'll still buy the last couple Kizuna volumes to finish off the BeBeautiful books I bought no matter what they look like.

I personally don't care for UGH because I'm in BL for the romance, and this isn't my idea of it (I read the scanlation but didn't like it). But I hope people support this series though after all the clamoring they've done for it.
yblees

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I didn't realise Kizuna would be bunko sized.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm also surprised that Under Grand Hotel got licensed, but I'm very glad it did. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1