• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Oklahoma Students to Be Disciplined for 'Death Note'

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh good grief kids.

Let's stop using "Death Notes" to fake kill each other, okay?
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Someone convinced these school administrators that comic books can kill. While manga technically isn't defined as comic books, that's how school officials look at manga as.

Apparently, they think that there's power behind writing someone's name in a "death notebook." Crap, I wish I could write someone's name in a book and they would die ...

Talk about the power of hypnotic persuasion.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The fact is kids have been making notebooks like these long before Death Note came around. It's nothing new, people just take things more seriously today, and every bit of news makes it way onto the net.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akkhima

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I think that whether or not this had anything to do with Death Note, I think the school definitely should discipline them anyway. Shooting people just isn't funny, and neither is saying you want to or think that they should be shot.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Were they actually plotting, or just fantasizing?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow, blast from the past. I thought we were done with Death Note...

Still Epic Fail all around though. Yes, that means you too, internets.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Man, at this point, I'm just finding these stories to be hilarious, mostly because such a big deal is being made about them. As brand said, it's nothing new, they're just writing "Death Note" on the cover now, and being linkable back to a TV series, movie, or book, just makes it a big stupid "it's corrupting the children!" news story that the media publishes because they can't publish any actual news and these kid of stories get attention, so, it's easy to want to publish them.

The kids should still be punished to be fair, if mostly for being incredibly stupid and actually making a Death Note with the slight off-chance they may have acted upon it, but this isn't really news if you ask me.
TC-man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Would the boys be also disciplined in a similar way if they had used voodoo dolls instead of Death Notes (inspired by the manga/anime)?

And we are speaking here about kids from an elementary school, wow, their minds are really screwed up at such a young age; what kind of parents do they have?
Dimlos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
While manga technically isn't defined as comic books, that's how school officials look at manga as.
I think that's how most people look at manga - "comics". Some people might get upset, much like some people don't like for "anime" to be called "cartoons", but that's really pretty much all manga is.

On the issue of the article: they're dealing with this kind of stuff in elementary school now, huh? That's what, 8-10 year olds? Wow.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh Great, not again.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow calling the Police for a elementary school matter is somewhat extreme, especially in something this little. If that's part of the guidelines to call authorities it might be a rough part of the city the school is located, but I couldn't find that info online. Though the same school had a four year old come drunk to school and the school has a somewhat strict uniform policy which makes me think that it is.

Glad the principal is taking care of the disposition, someone else higher than her might make things worse. I feel that it's just them fantasizing, but adding death to "shotgun shell" and "sniper" makes it more frightful. Hopefully they're entered in some anger management

Last edited by leftbehindxp on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
They never learn, do they?
And that goes for both sides. I don't know how many times I've had to point out how the last time schools decided that kids doing this kind of hateful thing were "just fantasizing" a bunch of their students got shot to death by the "fantasizers." Wake up people. Schools are a place where parents leave their kids with complete trust and faith in the staff that their kids will be safe. Therefore, it is the staff's responsibility to make 110% sure that they meet the parents' trust. And so, even "small things" like this ( Rolling Eyes ) should be taken very seriously. It is even said that calling the police is the school's policy for such matters, and yet the principal will still be handling the student's punishment. These are the types of things that people (kids included) should not joke around with.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Kill (student's name) by gun shotgunshell in her hand” and “(student's name) shot by a sniper.”

Someone has been playing too much Counter-Strike.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Wow, blast from the past. I thought we were done with Death Note...

Oh it'll be happening for years yet, I'm sure.

egoist wrote:
Someone has been playing too much Counter-Strike.

Yeah, buy 2-2 and 4-6 (or 4-5), huh? Laughing

This is absolutely silly. I wasn't thinking about killing my classmates in elementary school...
Faceman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or has anyone else stopped caring about things like this? People will always overreact about something. I've lost the drive to get worked up about it either way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4