• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mazinger/Cutey Honey/Devilman's Go Nagai Interviewed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Mazinger is popular is Arab countries? Now there's a surprise...

I mean, I know that there's a bunch of bootlegged anime DVDs circulating in Iraqi markets among a bunch of other bootlegged videos, but Nagai's works being popular over there is quite a surprise.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
I wonder how he feels about Imagawa's Shin Mazinger series. It was such a fun show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
It's always interesting putting a face to a name with mangaka. Nagai has such a nerdy, childlike face (though, that picture looks old). Unexpected but funny.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
The only thing I'd like to hear from him is restarting work on Mazinsaga, but that's not going to happen.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
Mazinger is popular is Arab countries? Now there's a surprise...

I mean, I know that there's a bunch of bootlegged anime DVDs circulating in Iraqi markets among a bunch of other bootlegged videos, but Nagai's works being popular over there is quite a surprise.

Yes, I believe it was in the 80s that his works were released there. And they are quite popular. Of course, how THEY reconcile his often naked girls with their cultures, is what -I- don't understand. :p

Getting back to the article, though, I'm sad there wasn't any news of Shin Mazinger... :\ I know he said something about it during his appearance in Kuwait but it's the only sliver of information we've got thus far... :\
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, another part of the world that respects Go Nagai more than the US/UK, He's one of the greatest anime/manga creators who's works have influenced everything since the late 60's and neweest fans just ignore him and go for whatever moe/loli/eroge is the flavor of the month these days... Rolling Eyes

And yes, I want more Shin Mazinger!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
It's always interesting putting a face to a name with mangaka. Nagai has such a nerdy, childlike face (though, that picture looks old). Unexpected but funny.

Here is a more recent picture:
http://myanimelist.net/people/2992/Nagai_Go/

He also played Dr. Kisaragi in the Cutie Honey The Live special. Though he was voiced by someone else...lol.

I knew his stuff was popular in like Mexico and South America but Arab countries is really interesting, not one I would have guessed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Didn't now that Go Nagai's works were popular amount Arab countries. But then anything outside of the U.S. is a gold mine. I've always been fascinated with Go Nagai. How such a man with such a child-like face of innocence can produce the stuff of nightmares or make your mom blush while smiling all the way home. I have to admit I've enjoyed a good chunk of his work. Especially 'Cutey Honey' in all it's incarnations. Though I wouldn't mind seeing some of his other works get animated or renewed.

It doesn't get any more testosterone driven than 'Go Nagai'.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I've read all of Devilman and what little chunks of Violence Jack that was available on the internet. It's great, but unfortunate I won't be able to finish the saga. Mazinger Z, I'm getting more familiar with though Imagawa's Shin Mazinger. Imagawa's just a great anime writer. I still need to look up his other adaptations (Giant Robo, Tetsujin 28, and Souten no Ken). I'll be looking up the Mazinger Z manga after I'm done with the anime.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
The only thing I'd like to hear from him is restarting work on Mao Dante, but that's not going to happen.

Fixed.
I liked it more than Devil Man even if it's unfinished, go figure it. Sad

Anyway, Go Nagai is one of the greatest mangaka ever, but one couldn't really expect him being know but younger manga/anime fans... even because his best works are for an adult target. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tsukasa27

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I grew up in Algeria and I was a big fan of Grendizer when I was 3.
I even went to the library to get comic books (not mangas but more like french comic books) in arabic. Later, DBZ and Captain Tsubasa took the spotlight but in general, old robot anime is popular over there.

Off topic: Can't wait for the Fifa World Cup next summer with Algeria playing USA and England!
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
I've read all of Devilman and what little chunks of Violence Jack that was available on the internet. It's great, but unfortunate I won't be able to finish the saga. Mazinger Z, I'm getting more familiar with though Imagawa's Shin Mazinger. Imagawa's just a great anime writer. I still need to look up his other adaptations (Giant Robo, Tetsujin 28, and Souten no Ken). I'll be looking up the Mazinger Z manga after I'm done with the anime.

You should! You'll be amazed at how close Shin Mazinger is to the original manga! Also read Great Mazinger as the first chapter of that appears in Shin Mazinger also.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1