• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fine Time

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Hmm...I've never played Ring of Red but that's certainly not what I'd call subtle. I wonder just how unintentional it really was. I figure at least some low level employees must have found it amusing.

I'll check out Bayonetta someday, if I ever get the urge to play that kind of game again. It's not exactly too likely, but then again I wouldn't entirely rule it out a few years from now.

Toshinden coming back out of the blue is definitely a surprise, though not one whose development I'm particularly interested in following. I'm pretty sure others share the sentiment.

But Joe Madureira? Now that's a blast from the past. While I never read Battle Chasers, the guy's brief career at Marvel did catch my eye back in the day. On second thought though, it will take a lot more than just that to get me to buy a game.

And naturally....I do have to disagree with Todd because I can easily think of plenty of worse anime, which I nevertheless watched all the way to the end (say, Hellsing TV anyone?), but in the interest of laziness (and / or avoiding redundancy) I'll leave that be. Razz

Last edited by nightjuan on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Best Anime-Based Game: Treasure's Astro Boy: The Omega Factor for the Game Boy Advance.

What? No tie with Dororo?

Quote:
Best Game-Based Anime: Gungrave, I guess.

What the hell?! What about DMC, RE, or Rockman .EXE?! Oh, wait that would be for the other category.

Quote:
Most Promising Anime-Based Game That Never Showed Up: Trigun: The Planet Gunsmoke.

And the most promising anime-based game which never showed up in the U.S. would be Bebop.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Best Anime-Based Game: Treasure's Astro Boy: The Omega Factor for the Game Boy Advance.

Hell yeah, man, Hell yeah! Got me into Tezuka in general too! It even made cameo appearances work well and it was just a BLAST!! It doesn't even have to be anime related to be one of my favorite GBA games of the decade (well, that's actually probably Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga, but AB:OF is top 5 for sure). You can get this game for dirt cheap and I go insane every time it's mentioned on X Button because everyone needs to play it! Not that PS2 garbage though *shudder*
GATSU wrote:
What? No tie with Dororo?

No, not even, because if you ask me, Blood Will Tell's platforming was a nightmare, I died so many times on this stupid easy segment where all you had to do was have Dororo jump across maybe 5 platforms in the middle of a spike pit because the controls for jumping were just that bad. Granted, most of the game is spent fighting stuff which is actually pretty fun, but it just wasn't nearly as much fun as Omega Factor for me.
Now I still liked BWT, it's just not even competition for Astro Boy: Omega Factor (BWT's horrible voice acting in which no one could pronounce any given name the same way twice didn't help).
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
You're certainly not alone in thinking Shadow of the Colossus is the best game of the decade. I was unable to enjoy another game, on any level, for about 4 months after finishing it because nothing else could come close to measuring up. And, it is one of the very few games released this decade, the number of which I could count on one hand, that I've actually felt compelled to play through more than once.

Oh, and Chrono Cross could contend, but it was also released in Japan at the tail-end of '99.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Code Geass a "worst anime"? Shocked Yeah, someone should stick to video game reviews.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Code Geass a "worst anime"? Shocked Yeah, someone should stick to video game reviews.

Believe it or not, he's far from the only one who holds that opinion. (Don't look at me, I haven't seen it at all.)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I gotta go back now and check other X Button's for alt text with the images. I don't know why after months of reading it, the idea of checking for alternate text didn't hit me till now. That "Sheep Man" jib had me laughing.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Best Han Solo Rip-Off: Final Fantasy XII's Balthier Bunansa, a rogue capable of charming vengeful princesses, stuffy rabbit-women, and even players who otherwise hated the game.

YES TO THIS. Balthier might be my new gaming man-crush yet (after Solid Snake). Coincidentally, I've just started Final Fantasy XII ten days ago, it actually being my second one (Vi on GBA was my first), and I think I might be close to half-way through the game story wise. I guess I lack all the fond memories of the final fantasies before it, but I'm actually really liking its battle system. The story's pretty good so far, too...and I'm halfway through, story-wise...? (I just finished my main quest stuff in Jahara to the south-west.)

Really, though, why do such a good portion of Final Fantasy fans seem to dislike it so? Has it really come down to a "drastically changed" battle-system and a story that I think has more realistic and nuanced characters than the other jrpgs I've seen or played?

Another Question: after finishing FFXII, a game that I'm sure will still like just as much as before (if not more), how strongly recommended is FFX? I tend to see it a being ranked more highly than XII...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
It's worth noting that Conspiracy Entertainment, the people who perpetrated Bangai-O's localization (or lack thereof), are now primarily known as a major distributor of shovelware titles.

This is proof that Translator Hell is a real place and you will be sent there at the first sign of idiocy.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
[accidental double-post was here....d'oh!)

Last edited by Animerican14 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
On principle, I refuse to believe that Etna wears underwear.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
So lemme get this stright
Zettai Hero Kaizou Keikaku will alow me to send Dokoro-chan, who I beileive is the protagonist of the worst anime ever, to her bloody death in a dank dungeon?

When is this brilliant game coming out?!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Zettai will feature costumes that make characters resemble Taiga from Toradora!, Horo from Spice and Wolf, Index from Toaru Majutsu no Index, Yoko from Inukami!, Shana from Shakugan no Shana, Dokuro-chan from Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, and, most importantly, Boogiepop from Boogiepop Phantom.

Wow. That last one comes right out of left field. I haven't actually seen it but based on what I do know it seems pretty far from the others.
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I disagree. I have a ton of anime based games, and I admit I buy them because they are so. Most of them aren't good, I admit, but the PS2 Full Metal Alchemist games are pretty good, as well as fun. Aside from this, either of the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games could compete, since they're probably the best Gundam games out there. Although Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon for the PS2 was also very good.

Quote:
Best Game-Based Anime: Gungrave, I guess.

Even though they have completely differnet plot elements and stuff, right? Does this response factor in Gungrave: Overdose?

For me, this would probably be the Disgaea anime, or maybe the Tales of The Abyss. Both were pretty good.

Quote:
Worst Game-Based Anime: I don't even know where to start.

You have an preview of Queen's Blade, yet it didn't get this spot?

Quote:
Most Promising Anime-Based Game That Never Showed Up: Trigun: The Planet Gunsmoke.

I semi agree with this. To me its a tie between this and Cowboy Bebop: Tsuioku no Serenade, the Cowboy Bebop PS2 game that was supposed to be released, but was then dropped.

Nice column. See ya next year. Very Happy
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 am Reply with quote
Okay, seriously, as much as I love this column, it's been bugging me that for the last 2 months or more, after the initial blurbs and stuff, once we get to the reviews, ... is all I see. Am I the only one having this problem? It's not just one browser, and X Button is the only column that does this...

But coding issues aside, great column as usual, and see you in 2010.

EDIT: Awesome, it's been fixed! +10 Cool Points xD

Last edited by teh*darkness on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4