• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mystic Circle; Magic CG, Floating Absurd Rune.. thing.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuchsia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:45 am Reply with quote
I took a chance on the Fairy Tail animation this evening and there it was; instead of the fluid and dynamic motion of Natsu's dragon fire I was greeted with a FMA-inspired fist tap followed by a mystic circle 'thingy'. I do not know what this is actually called. "Spell" is generic so henceforth in this post I shall dub it the CG AMC. Computer Generated Absurd Mystic Circle. I'm not trying to start a meme , egad imagine the horror, so if someone here has a more appropriate term for this please elucidate my mind.

Where does the CG AMC come from? Obviously, Fairy Tail is borrowing from Negima! and Negima! probably borrowed it from FMA but whose fault is the CG AMC beyond those shows? I wonder if studios save funds by animating a shiny and usually purple CG AMC for reuse? Logic says yes to that but is it really cheaper?

In closing, I do not hate you CG AMC. I have come to feel you are overly and inappropriately used in recent animation.

Suggested answers to this post:
1. Fuchsia, please do not post on the anime news network forums while inebriated.
2. A quote of that speech from the Adam Sandler movie where one fellow calls another stupid, eloquently.

Enjoy and I hope anyone out there can relate to this ramble or even supply information about where this CG AMC phenomenon originated.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure exactly when it started, but elaborate magic circles being traced to make spells, or appearing when powerful magic is used, has been around in anime for at least couple of decades. (It just wasn't done with CG in the earlier days). The basic designs are, as near as I can tell, derived from magic circles present in Europe dating back at least as far as the Middle Ages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
I've seen them referred to literally as mahoujin (魔法陣) and mandala. Personally, I love them; I just have a thing for fancy symbols.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
I've always thought of those magic circles as Astral Beer Coasters. Yeah, they are pretty much omnipresent in any action/fighting/magic series. I kind of like them, but I can imagine the thrill may wear off after the next 100 times I see them.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
There's an overuse of those magic circles on Fairy Fail. Maybe if they saved them for special scenes, where the character is using a special and stronger spell, it'd have a bigger impact on the audience. But apparently they decided to use it every time, reducing its effects and making it something usual and expected to be used any time the character jump into a fight. But I don't really mind, I just think that they could use it in a more controlled way. I don't care at all, long shonen is just my entertainment during meals, so I don't pay much attention to it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
According to Witch Hunter Robin it's official name is a Ring of Ogam. Also called a Fionn's Wheel. Ogam is the language of the ancient Celtics which was a series of 25 symbols that formed an alphabet. What's in the wheel varies when used in spell-casting depending on what the spell is about. Of course it looks damn cool, but in most generic anime and other media it's probably just nonsense as I doubt they've studied up on their ancient Celtic runes but who knows? Smile
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
According to Witch Hunter Robin it's official name is a Ring of Ogam. Also called a Fionn's Wheel.

Other shows use other methods; zodiac and other astrological symbols are fairly common. FMA's transmutation arrays are elaborate geometric arrangements, I'm not sure if there's any particular methodology those are based on. I'd assume the writing in the arrays in Ah! My Goddess is runic, given how heavily it borrows from Norse mythology.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
You might call them "instant runes."

For the most part, I think they exist to show "yes, I'm doing magic now." Often it can be the difference between the character closing his or her eyes to think and to cast a spell--if it weren't for the magic circle, it might be impossible to tell.

Another large portion is probably eye candy. They just look epic.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
I believe Robin was referring that that specific glyph.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
Well simply because a wheel, ring, circle similar circular object are generally linked to binding or channeling something whether that something be an external outside force that cannot be perceived or something internal (like say Karla or Sauron and their respective jewelry pieces.)

So to use that symbol to cast a spell appears in many a culture, in this case Celtic and runic circles are being shown because they look "cool" and are definitely foreign and mysterious to the target audience, i.e. those watching in Japan.

I'd suggest well first being a little more ope-minded but also to study a little bit, there are some books around that can teach you the ideas of "why?" that your asking that I think would help you with your curiosity.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I believe Robin was referring that that specific glyph.

Check out the extras on the DVDs for all the explanations on the symbols and the wheel. Well if your DVDs over there have the same ones as mine anyway. The ring/wheel is explained on the first volume. He wanted a name for the wheel. Fionn's Wheel. That's what you call it. As for what's in it in every anime as far as runes and glyphs ....who knows.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's quicker to have an instant CG one than make the characters draw one with chalk...

Might be interesting to see how many characters someone could guess based just on seeing their magic circle. Sakura (of card capturing fame) is probably the easiest one... And its changing is actually a plot point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1