• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AKB48 Idol Group Gets Spinoff Offers in 6 Countries

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
I will honestly never understand the Japanese's fascination with White females dancing in front of a camera to J-pop songs Confused

AKB48 is becoming really popular internationally, I see. Great for them.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I will honestly never understand the Japanese's fascination with White females dancing in front of a camera to J-pop songs Confused

So would you prefer it if it was black men dancing instead? Also weird how Asian people are now white in your estimation. lol
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
So what exactly is so "Japanese" about AKB48, other than the ethnicity of the group? By their logic, S Club 7 is Japanese. Laughing
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
The end of the days is near. I was almost sure that if something wasn't "exportable", it were the girl-massive-pop-bands. But they proved me wrong.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:

So would you prefer it if it was black men dancing instead? Also weird how Asian people are now white in your estimation. lol

Becki (or however you spell it) is Asian now? And that Maxine girl is too? I had no clue. Furthermore, I think they meant that all the web idols are white females. Nothing to do with personal preferences. -_-
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
And I don't see why so many weeaboo fans think somehow someone being Japanese is somehow automatically superior. To me it's likely all just kiddie crap. I think I'd just as well listen to crappy American teens. Or rather not listen to any of it. Anyway, I think this has sadly more to do with lonely guys who enjoy watching a 14 year old girl dance on YouTube.

And thanks for making this a race issue. Brilliant. Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile when I visited Japan a couple years ago they were really pushing Avril Lavigne in record stores. So there's plenty of reverse weaaboo-ism in Japan too. They even had a poser of her in the foreign CD section next to The Sex Pistols. And don't get me started on how Will Smith and Janet Jackson were in a 'reggae' section.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I will never understand the Japanese's fascination with pop idol groups. In fact, I will never understand the Japanese's fascination with a lot of things, and I don't think I want to.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
What's so japanese about this, the teen boy/girl band was started in the Early 70's by "La Pandilla" and exploded in the late 70's with Menudo, the only thing is that this group is filled wit Japanese Girls in short skirts enbodying the Japanese Cult of Youth.

And Betty Cruel's 15 minutes of fame continues to tick down...

Last edited by Vicserr on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:
And I don't see why so many weeaboo fans think somehow someone being Japanese is somehow automatically superior. To me it's likely all just kiddie crap. I think I'd just as well listen to crappy American teens. Or rather not listen to any of it. Anyway, I think this has sadly more to do with lonely guys who enjoy watching a 14 year old girl dance on YouTube.

And thanks for making this a race issue. Brilliant. Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile when I visited Japan a couple years ago they were really pushing Avril Lavigne in record stores. So there's plenty of reverse weaaboo-ism in Japan too. They even had a poser of her in the foreign CD section next to The Sex Pistols. And don't get me started on how Will Smith and Janet Jackson were in a 'reggae' section.

Please, don't get butt-hurt so quickly. I was simply saying that the vast majority of these YouTube/Nico Nico dancing phenomenons in Japan are usually White females from the Western Hemisphere. In addition, being interested in North American pop music and being a Japanese citizen doesn't equal a "reverse-weeboo" or Wapanese or whatever terms you people use to refer to those not different than yourselves. Calm down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1