• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gunslinger Girl OVA DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KairuRoukan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
I really adored the first season of Gunslinger Girl, but I'm having a hard time getting into the second season. Just feels way too different, like it lost its magic touch or something. Still, reading this review about the OVA has piqued my interest of the series again, so perhaps I'll give the second season a shot, and maybe even this OVA eventually.

Another solid review, JO. Keep up the good work. Smile
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm a hardcore Gunslinger Girl fan, and I greatly enjoyed both the first and second seasons. Yeah yeah, the art was different in season two, but so what? You're not going to get $130,000 per episode for every series that you like.

A lot of people have complained that season two is too different from the first season, but I don't see that at all. Season one is much more of a character study, with very little action compared to character development. In season two, you already know all the characters, so they can focus more on the action. It would be a waste if the second season just rehashed all the same ground as the first. I thought they did a fantastic job of staying true to the characters and adding more plot this time around.

As for the OVA, yeah, it was kind of disappointing in that it didn't further the plot, but if you just look at it as "bonus episodes" that extend the series a bit longer, it's fine. Plus, as the reviewer stated, it does reveal a lot about Jean and his motivations, so it's worth it in that regard. It's definitely only for the fans, but if you're not a fan of the show, I don't know why you'd be buying this anyway.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
The OVA covers the first two chapters, 28 & 29, of vol 6. They are a buffer between the end of the Pinocchio arc and the start of Petrushka with Alessandro. Which is why the OVA lacks a big punch or any significant momentum.

The OVA is an interlude. The brothers are rounded out and their motives for joining Social Welfare and their styles as handlers is given more depth. There is a marked difference in the relationships from season one to the OVA. Changes that are important going forward. Also, seeing Rico and Henrietta being able to just be kids for awhile is nice. I concur with the reviewers views on the animation style. I love the series but really miss the beauty of season one.

Overall, being a big fan of the manga and anime, I found the OVA to be worth my time and money. A casual fan may not be as satisfied.

KairuRoukan I really hope you continue with season two. Once you get past the jarring change in animation the stories are just as great. Episode 8, A day in the life of Claes, is just wonderful.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I will agree that the change in animation was pretty jarring when season 2 came out.

Some of the characters look fine with the new art style(Henrietta) Some look great(Triela) and others look horrible(Rico). But over all the art style and animation is MUCH better in the first season.

That said the second season has a great story. It takes a little bit to get going(like 2 episodes or so) But once it picks up it's great and is certainly worth it. I enjoyed the 2nd season quite a bit and am not disappointed that I saw it. I will be picking up the OVA at some point as well. Most likely early next month.
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Season one is much more of a character study, with very little action compared to character development. In season two, you already know all the characters, so they can focus more on the action. It would be a waste if the second season just rehashed all the same ground as the first.
That's what made GG stand out for me in the first place, the characters and not so much of the action.

Not that I mind more action or a contrived plot, but there was a bit more explore in just the characters without running over the same ground. That's what was so great about GG than these other girls-with-guns series.
I would have thought that the second season would have pulled me in, not necessarily in the same way, but it didn't. I would love to give it a chance, but it just feels so awkward compared to season one. Maybe I should read the manga(?).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
There is not a lot of difference between the manga and the anime. There is one major thing. But, it will have to be whispered.

spoiler[The supposed death of Angelica in S1 of the anime is way overblown. The manga in no way hints that such an event occurs.]

Not sure if you watched all of S2 or stopped after a few episodes. But there is a lot of character development that goes on. For example, Hillshire and Triela have a shared backstory that punches you in the gut.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
it was also done by some diff than season 2 and done better i thought!

i am a fan though and would watch whatever as long as they use the same dub cast.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
This is what happens when you let a hardcore fan review an anime!

I thought Il Teatrino was pretty good. There were some visual glitches near the beginning, but overall differences were due to not having the budget of the first season. Some of the character design changes involved making character eyes ever-so-slightly SMALLER, so can hardly be accused of caving in to the moe trend.

(And is anyone going to insist that moe was NOT part of the original's appeal?)

OVA sounds worth a watch.
spymaster4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
I am a huge fan of this anime. nothing compares to it. But I still think that the makers should have spent alittle more time on showing the lives of the girls out side of the missions they went on. Like for example when Henrietta was about to become friends with the kid from that mission where she had to kill an ex op. from the company that she worked in.
If they had more sceans like that or having the othe girls just enjoying the outside world other then when on a mission, it would show more character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1