• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best DBZ action figure series -- help.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zentradi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
hello guys

i am posting this for some info on Dragonball Z action figures (NOT model kits). I would like to get some VERY good DBZ figures about 5-6" standerd sizes with lots of joints and articulation and above all best possible quality/animation. I am in NYC are there any great places to visit for Dragon ball import figures? Please let me know. I was originally thinking of buying through ebay sellers through HK or JAPAN.

Here is what I like so far.

DBZ RAH medicom figures 12" and possibly the best ones I have seen so far. Can anyone comment if they are made in Japan or where?

Figuarts Series (Only Piccolo and Goku so far) actually even goku is in pre order state I think. This seems to be the best version of figures anywhere based on my limited knowledge. Where are these made at? Anyone can comment on quality?

Finally the hybrid series. Lots of choices here in characters and good movement with lots of joints. How does this compare with Figuarts series? The only other ones I have seen that are worthy of mention is the full action pose series from 1991 made in japan by bandai but those cost like $100 in US and at that price I can almost by 12" medicom RAH series.

I am interested in Goku SS2 or 3, Broly, Vegeta SS2 and Trunks SS2 stages. Please let me know your thoughts and what you think is the best action figure series for DBZ?

Finally does figures from Bandai Asia vs Bandai Japan are different in quality? I know most US versions do not compare well with Japanese but what about Bandai Asia. I was looking at hybrid series and it seems like Japan and Asia market versions are exactly or almost same. Is this true?

Help please a fellow anime lover

thanks
z

P.S Note to mods: I honestly did not knew which section of the forum this would go under so you may move it to the proper area if you see fit. Also I searched for such a topic but could not find one so if this is addressed in detail somehwere please post links. Thanks
zentradi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
guys can anyone help?
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
This oughta be put in the retail section: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=22

Anyway in terms of poseability that S.H. Figuarts line looks quite promising (I have a Goku on pre-order myself). The only issue would be that it is a relatively new line and so far they've focused on Kamen Riders so it will be years before they do a sizeable cast and secondly ya never know if and when they will make your favorite character. In this case the best you can do is write in and hope you aren't the only one to prove to them there's a market (although DBZ's market is unquestionable). You'll just have to be prepared to spend $40-$60 for him though but without question he is the most detailed Goku out there short of being an actual statue.

As you said the Hybrid 4 Inch Line would offer you a more readily available cast with good articulation. But I'm sure as you can see each individual figure ranges greatly from price to price (I saw Broly for $70 but SS4 Goku for $18) and they will be significantly shorter. I also have minor gripes with some of the characters (I don't like SS3 Goku's model).

In places like Toys R Us and Wal Mart I have seen another small line of figures which seem to be decent for lil miniatures if you want to be economic. I'm not sure if they have done all the characters you want but the line does have a collect em all aspect where you can put together a mini Shenron as well which is nice. Good detail and while I possess none myself they seem to have a fair amount of joints.

It's really gonna come down to which figure you think looks cool on your shelf and what you are willing to spend as well. If ya like when I get my S.H. Goku I'll let ya know what I think.
zentradi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
thank u so much for this info
Santhil

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
This is what I've been looking for. Big thanks for the info! Very informative and useful for a rookie Dragon Ball Z action figures collector Wink.

Last edited by Santhil on Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
This oughta be put in the retail section: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=22

It sure should. Let me push my magical button and......it's gone. Shit, wrong button. Oh, there it is. Sorry, my *kickback from Aniplex was covering it up. Fixed.

* (That is a joke fyi, I figure someone will take it seriously hence the disclaimer)
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Not sure specifically on the DBZ ones, but I can speak to the SH Figuarts line in general (which, btw, is made by Bluefin and Tamashii Nations).

For the most part, Figuarts are exactly what you're looking for: high quality, and highly articulated. For the most part. While suited characters (such as Sentai or Kamen Rider) work very well, "normal" human characters are hit or miss, because without suits, they have less places to hide the joints. Or baggier clothes (as the case is with DBZ characters), which make it harder to get good movement.

Here's a shot I took for a comparison review of the Sailor V and Sailor Venus Figuarts, to show some of the problems I mean with joints:

This is the extent of how far I can extend their limbs. V can't raise her arms up more than that at all (because of the cap sleeves/shoulder pads), and neither can lift their upper legs up to knee someone or do a high kick, because the skirt is in the way.

Again, I don't know about the DBZ ones, and I don't have these problems with my Gokai Yellow or various Kamen Rider W-edition Figuarts. I'm guessing that DBZ will be somewhere in the middle, since the clothes can hide the joints decently, but may get in the way of movement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1