• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece 3 in 1 papaer quality, what happened?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I was at the bookstore and saw the 2nd 3-in-1 (vols. 4-6) of One Piece. I thought about buying it but the paper quality is terrible! It's worse than the single voulmes. What's up with Viz and will there be versions with better paper quality? Has anyone else noticed this?
Kurishojo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't find the paper that bad. Yes it's a little thinner but I didn't find it caused any problems with print clarity or reading. Considering how cheap the book itself costs, the paper is a small price to pay (no pun intended).

Besides, if they used the regular paper than I don't think a 3-in-1 omnibus would've been as feasible. It'd be too thick and too heavy. And the original volumes of One Piece are still easily available in their original printing for anyone who is that bothered by the paper in the omnibus.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I guess I was just surprised, cause I thought if it was being re-released as an omnibus, the paper quality would be better. I was real tempted to buy it, but I thought they're may be a chance that other copies released will have better paper quality, so I saved my cash. That, and the reason I have a problem with the paper quality is because that thinner paper can easily tear. I'm just a bit picky. I want my items to last. For the time being I'll stick with the single volumes, but just like with the VIZBIG Editions, I thought the One Piece omnibuses would be more convenient to buy, I catch up on the series, and it's actually cheaper. Simply put, I am interested in the One Piece omnibuses. I just don't like the paper quality.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, the paper quality for the sped-up volumes is also of slightly less quality than the ones that preceded them. I emphasize that it's not as bad as the ones for the One Piece omnibus, but it's definitely there. Turns out Viz needed to cut some corners and they decided to do this along with changing the logo to...green.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, the trim size is still the regular 5 x 7.5, so it would've been disproportionate if they used the regular paper. Remember, this isn't a high-quality Vizbig release. It's a cheap alternative to buying every volume in a 56-volumes-and-counting series at 10 dollars a pop.

As for the lower-quality paper in the catch-up volumes, it's slightly justified by the fact that they're releasing thirty volumes in such a short period of time. One Piece isn't one of their best selling titles either, so it could've cost them a lot if they gave them high-quality releases.

(I also noticed that the covers are no longer shiny. That sucks, but I'd say that it's worth it if we can get caught up to Volume 54)
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
I guess I was just surprised, cause I thought if it was being re-released as an omnibus, the paper quality would be better. I was real tempted to buy it, but I thought they're may be a chance that other copies released will have better paper quality, so I saved my cash. That, and the reason I have a problem with the paper quality is because that thinner paper can easily tear. I'm just a bit picky. I want my items to last. For the time being I'll stick with the single volumes, but just like with the VIZBIG Editions, I thought the One Piece omnibuses would be more convenient to buy, I catch up on the series, and it's actually cheaper. Simply put, I am interested in the One Piece omnibuses. I just don't like the paper quality.

These aren't omnibuses, they are budget releases. Therefor the cheap paper.

These aren't like the VIZBIG editions at all. Nor are they meant to be.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
I bought the 2 Omnibuses that are out.
The quality isn't bad at all, people seem to freaking out.
Some even said it's the same quality as used in SJ Magazine.
Far from it, but yes it is relatively thinner.
And as Jaymie said, it is a cheap alternative to buying the individual releases, so if like me, and you didn't already have the individual volumes, this is a great pick up.
Especially for the value of it, and that it is well.. One Piece. Smile
wicked86

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:57 am Reply with quote
I have both so far and while I noticed the oddly thin paper, it didn't bother me after awhile.

I think I might buy some of the single volumes though, because the covers are what bugs me. Feel like they could be a bit better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1