• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-01-15]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
If anime companies are going to pour money into 3D then they really better be damn good. Avatar I was so disappointed with on it's 3D Level. (The rest of the film was fine). Really are people really impressed by small subtle 3D Graphics? If I'm going to shell out any extra cash for admission I'd better be engulfed by 3D flames or something.
labantnet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
No, no, no. No 3D Anime please.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
That Kevin Bacon sure gets around...
konkonsn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Those dried fish that stare back at you are actually pretty good...they add more texture than flavor to your food, so I like to think of it more like a cracker topping or something...

I remember going to a restaurant with a vegetarian friend and ordering what I thought was egg and cheese, and it was dozens of these tiny, white fish on top instead of cheese. I had already eaten them before at school, so I was fine, but my friend couldn't watch me eat. I felt bad about it, but I didn't want to offend the cook.
Tyrant XD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I saw Avatar in 3D and I think it may have been the worst film of my life so far. Idk, maybe it was just that it had been so hyped, but I was bored to figitation. I found it painfully bad. There's surely worse films out there, whether I've seen them or not, but yeah.

And as for the 3D, I think it still has a ways to go. I didn't care for it in any case. No 3D anime for me, no sir.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
That Kevin Bacon sure gets around...

Because his name has Bacon in it.
frosty31

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Only if it's hentai! lol Razz
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you think anime could benefit from 3D

It's a world of possibilities out there. That said, I don't particularly care about 3D unless the program is worth watching in the first place. I don't see it as anything more than a gimmick. But I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

When it comes down to it I'm a lot more excited about the old people in the industry being carted away and the arrival of new, non-jaded, enthusiastic artists who'll be willing to make something that's fun and engaging. You can't fake that with extra dimensions.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
labantnet wrote:
No, no, no. No 3D Anime please.
Oh come on! Wouldn't you love to see NGE in 3D? Or Battle Angel Alita? Just imagine Ikki Tousen in 3D. Razz I've seen a few of the 3D movies and so I can say that Avatar was the better, (not the best), but the better of them so far, because the 3D effect was subtle. When I watched "A Christmas Carrol" I felt like I was being slapped in the eyes with a cold dead fish of 3D, with someone shouting at me ""LOOK AT IT! IT'S 3D! LOOK AT IT!" Not very enjoyable and I was glad when it finished. 3D should only be used when it can enhance a scene without you realising its done so, not the other way round.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
gosh thats a really good question. I can't wait to hear what the peoples take on 3d is. Although if it turns out to be awesome then it will probably be the most convincing reason to buy a 3d tv and to buy anime blu ray
Asako

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love takoyaki Anime cry I first ate it while in Osaka... and almost no other takoyaki would do anymore, haha.

I don't like umeboshi.. it's much too sour for my tastes Anime hyper
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see what's so great about 3D. First it was used in the 50's as a cheesy gimmick to get people to see monster B-movies and again in the 80's for B-movies yet again. I don't need to feel like the action is coming at me, I just don't. I do well getting absorbed into a movie/book/whatever other media I'm using on my own.

Anime in 3D would look stupid. The low frame count is bad enough since they have to put those suckers out weekly (because Japan's children are apparently riddled with ADHD), but to make it worse and use 3D? No thanks.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
My theater doesn't support 3D movies, so I haven't seen any of these movies like Avatar and Up in 3D. I honestly don't think they'd enhance my enjoyment, or lack of, in any movie. Besides which, no way I'm buying a tv that supports it.

And I'm shocked to find that there's someone who doesn't like takoyaki. I mean, if you don't like octopus in the first place, I can understand the dislike, but wouldn't understand why anyone would try it that being the case. But if you've had octopus before and liked it, I don't see how anyone couldn't like takoyaki. I haven't been to Osaka, so I guess I haven't had the best takoyaki out there, but they did a fine enough job in Tokyo.

Lastly, the person who though light novels are getting popular doesn't get out much do they? Considering how many light novels have failed here in the US, I'm frankly surprised that companies keep trying with them. I have no clue what kind of sales the Haruhi light novels have done, but if they're making money, then they're likely the first.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I just don't get it,but wouldn't 3-D anime only look like a popup book at best? I mean,they're just 2D drawings,I don't think the characters/objects could have any "realistic" shape to them.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Have to agree with Mohawk52 that Avatar was one of the better 3D movies. The purpose of 3D in Avatar was to enhance the viewing experience, and not to be having javelins impaling you in your theatre seat.

As for 3D in anime, it should only be reserved for theatrical productions that have the money to spend to make it worthwhile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4