• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sci-Fi Author/Anime Staffer Takumi Shibano Passes Away

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I never really heard of the guy but I hope his family is doing okay.

spoiler[I'm going to be completely off topic here and say something about the word staffer because it must be an American thing or something because over here people never, ever say that :/ And it just annoys me when people use it as it sounds so informal and weird, especially in the context above :/]
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I haven't heard of him, either, but I send good luck to his friends and family.

Yorozuya wrote:

spoiler[I'm going to be completely off topic here and say something about the word staffer because it must be an American thing or something because over here people never, ever say that :/ And it just annoys me when people use it as it sounds so informal and weird, especially in the context above :/]

Actually, I've never even heard it, either...And I've lived in America my entire life. I mean, it's easy to guess what it means, but I've always heard "staff member". Eh, I guess it could be more popular in another part of the States; that happens a lot. In any case, though it sounds informal, dictionary.com lists it as originating awhile ago.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
That's odd, I didn't realize "staffer" was such an unusual word. In fact it's usually when relating to anime that I hear it the most, particularly at conventions, "con-staffer". It's usually used in singular the way "staff member" would be. Often hear it in politics, too, "a White House staffer".

Anyway, thoughts out to his family and friends.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
game

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
RIP
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
He was also the Fan Guest of Honor at the 2007 Worldcon. As it says there, he was absolutely instrumental in helping bring the Worldcon to Japan. He was also working with the "Nippon 2017" bid.

Uchūjin wasn't only the first Japanese fanzine, it was the thing around which organized Japanese sf fandom crystallized.

This is a loss for fandom all around the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Also, tons more information at File 770.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know him but he sounded like a really cool person (I love science fiction).

May he rest in peace... in some alien world (I think it would be fitting for a person like I think he was ^^ ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1