Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Macek Training


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 6855
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
ABetterTimeandPlace wrote:
My statement was made in response to a dismissal of Viz's efforts that predate Streamline Pictures, when Viz's efforts helped build the manga industry that led to the Akira manga's release, before the Akira anime's release.


Quote:
Macek certainly helped develop the anime industry in America, but he didn't create either the fanbase or the industry in a vacuum. Both existed beforehand and were not insignificant in regards to Robotech itself.


Well look, there's not much point in arguing over how much of a fanbase there was before Robotech. I think you quite overstate it's size. I highly doubt there is any kind of factual information in existence to confirm or deny this though so we must simply agree to disagree. That said, it can be demonstrated factually that, there was no significant anime industry before Robotech and only a couple super-niche releases before Akira. There really hadn't been any major attempt to sell animation to an older audience and to sell it in the way they did. Yes, there was a developing manga industry. However, while people's interest may cross over allowing for some cross promotion, as a business they are quite different. There was already a thriving comic industry. It was also one that had been steadily shifting toward an older audience. The introduction of manga was less breaking totally new ground and more just the introduction of a somewhat different product to an existing industry. I mean despite this, I'll certainly still give Viz a ton of credit for largely starting the manga industry. When it comes to the anime industry though, they've done relatively little to advance it. Yes, the existance of the early manga industry helped, but so did dozens of other factors. The biggest aspect in actually creating an industry for anime was Macek and his companies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
ABetterTimeandPlace



Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
That said, it can be demonstrated factually that, there was no significant anime industry before Robotech and only a couple super-niche releases before Akira.


World Event Productions and Voltron existed before Robotech. As Macek acknowledged, the big success of Voltron on TV is what prompted Harmony Gold to jump onto the bandwagon and produce Robotech a year later. This fact shouldn't be forgotten.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Treiz



Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The $129.98 Protoculture Collection costs more than the 14 original $14.98 releases or the 7 $29.98 Remastered Extended Edition?

That's my bad, I've been marathoning the first two seasons of ST ToS with little sleep >.<b

I meant to add that I was talking about them in the market simultanously, with prices adjusted accordingly for the decrease that inevitably comes with the decrease in demand for the older releases.

Obviously if we go by MSRP that colors the comparison as the second sets can be produced and sold cheaper with a better margin. Never the less, as I said, Sentinels and RT 3000 have sold better than most series despite not even having been green-lit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ABetterTimeandPlace



Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
Treiz wrote:
I meant to add that I was talking about them in the market simultanously, with prices adjusted accordingly for the decrease that inevitably comes with the decrease in demand for the older releases.

Obviously if we go by MSRP that colors the comparison as the second sets can be produced and sold cheaper with a better margin. Never the less, as I said, Sentinels and RT 3000 have sold better than most series despite not even having been green-lit.


So we have one bonus that was in two out of four DVD releases--one being the most expensive and the other being the least expensive. We have another bonus that is so insignificant that a customer didn't remember which release it was on. Claiming that these two bonuses "sold better" simply because they were bundled with something else defies not only economic sense, but also common sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 6855
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote
ABetterTimeandPlace wrote:
World Event Productions and Voltron existed before Robotech. As Macek acknowledged, the big success of Voltron on TV is what prompted Harmony Gold to jump onto the bandwagon and produce Robotech a year later. This fact shouldn't be forgotten.


Oh I agree which is why I would consider Akira to be the real title that jump started the industry. Robotech was sort of semi-industrial. It was largely similar to earlier pre-industry titles where they were just trying to take an individual show that they thought could be shown on TV here but with some key differences. For instance, I feel like Robotech was the first of those early shows with a somewhat more serious appeal and attract older fans in large numbers. More than anything else though it was Macek's recognition of this trend and his and choice to cater to it (and ability to position his product to do so on a large scale) that really made things happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Treiz



Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Claiming that these two bonuses "sold better" simply because they were bundled with something else defies not only economic sense

Uh, no, it's simple numbers. Series A sold x number of discs, and series B sold y.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ABetterTimeandPlace



Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
Treiz wrote:
Quote:
Claiming that these two bonuses "sold better" simply because they were bundled with something else defies not only economic sense

Uh, no, it's simple numbers. Series A sold x number of discs, and series B sold y.


An oversimplification. Smile We're not talking about "Series A," we're talking about "Bonus C that was bundled with Series A, but not always, and even some ardent customers of Series A forgot Bonus C was there."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Treiz



Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
An oversimplification

For the purposes of this thread, yes. I found it ironic that despite their maligned status among fans, and perhaps especially Robotech fans, that Sentinels and RT 3000 have sold more than most highly cherished shows. to the point where they COULD be considered commercial successes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ABetterTimeandPlace



Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Treiz wrote:
Quote:
An oversimplification

For the purposes of this thread, yes. I found it ironic that despite their maligned status among fans, and perhaps especially Robotech fans, that Sentinels and RT 3000 have sold more than most highly cherished shows. to the point where they COULD be considered commercial successes.


You might find it ironic. Others would find it downright misleading and illogical. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anime World Order



Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 349
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
As for Dunbine, I hadn't heard the dub, or the original, for that matter, but it sounds like a hoakey show in general in which a "good" dub would make it sound worse.


So let me get this straight: you've been leaving comment after comment on my blog (all of which I'm forced to delete as criminally off-topic/spam) regarding how Avatar is somehow James Cameron ripping off of Aura Battler Dunbine...and you've never even SEEN Aura Battler Dunbine?!

I see. This neatly encapsulates your Internet M.O. while simultaneously demonstrating how and why this thread has degenerated into like 6 pages of you posting your typical incendiary statements without one shred of proof or factual accuracy, which inevitably results in people pointing out with great specificity that you're wrong and how you're wrong, followed by you then shifting the goalposts without missing a beat so the process may repeat itself, thinking "dance, my puppets! DANCE!" all the while.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedTail



Joined: 25 Aug 2004
Posts: 176

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Anyone mind sharing with me how one goes about finding out who's appearing on next week's show? It helps to know who it is in case you have questions you want to ask. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
braves



Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2275
Location: Puerto Rico (but living in Texas)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
Anyone mind sharing with me how one goes about finding out who's appearing on next week's show? It helps to know who it is in case you have questions you want to ask. Razz

The only way I know of is to follow Zac on Twitter (ANNZac). He'll usually say who's the week's guest a few days prior to recording the show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MUSAWE



Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
This is why I love ANNcast. Great interviews with people from the industry. Looking forward to more!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prede



Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 377

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
ABetterTimeandPlace wrote:
Prede wrote:
I don't know, but that seems to be "hit and miss" in my eyes. There have been more then a couple series they just STOPPED releaseing, and we don't know what else will happen with those titles. Perhaps more hit then miss, but since they have so few shows to begin with, and make so much money from them, it does make sense.


Yeah, that seems to be fuzzy wording on GATSU's part since by that definition, all companies run by mortal humans, including Harmony Gold and Streamline Pictures, are "hit-and-miss." So despite this fuzzy wording, no one else would say that Viz was "barely getting by."


I agree with that. Fuzzy wording on his part. No one would ever doubt that Viz was doing great though, despite some bad sellers here and there. Clearly not "barely getting by".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
RedTail



Joined: 25 Aug 2004
Posts: 176

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
RedTail wrote:
Anyone mind sharing with me how one goes about finding out who's appearing on next week's show? It helps to know who it is in case you have questions you want to ask. Razz

The only way I know of is to follow Zac on Twitter (ANNZac). He'll usually say who's the week's guest a few days prior to recording the show.


Ugh... Guess I'll have to overcome my disdain for twitter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group