• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Pani Poni Dash!, X, Other Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gecko Moria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Kishishishi! Pani Poni Dash is God Tier. If you haven't seen it do so. Kishishishi!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Gecko Moria wrote:
Kishishishi! Pani Poni Dash is God Tier. If you haven't seen it do so. Kishishishi!

Not sure how the streaming will handle all the text, as that's often necessary in order to get many of the jokes within it.

Unless one's familiar with Japanese culture and every mecha anime.

But I agree. Watch it.
codeman38

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Not sure how the streaming will handle all the text, as that's often necessary in order to get many of the jokes within it.

Looks like they included the most important text (e.g., the character stats) as hard subs, but not the blackboard gags. The limited caption track from the DVD, in other words, but retyped rather than just ripped from the DVD.

Still wish they'd used the "full captions" from the DVD, because those are absolutely epic. They're on par with His & Her Circumstances for pushing the capabilities of DVD subtitles to the absolute limit.
mckg1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Pani Poni dash! seems interesting. Funi should start putting up D.Gray man episodes, atleast episodes 1-4 so people and see if they like the anime or not.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't FUNi's boxset of Pani Poni Dash lacking the video notes included in the original ADV singles? I went with the artbox/singles, especially since RightStuf had the whole thing bundled together for real cheap. Really funny series, and the video notes definitely cleared up the moments that went over my head (I swear, with this and Lucky Star's references, I think certain anime screenwriters must have the entire original Gundam TV series memorized word-for-word).

Anyway, nice to see Oh Edo Rocket being uploaded even if it's just the sub for now, hopefully that means it'll be released within this year since we've been waiting on that one for a while. (but when will Eden of the East be solicited for DVD release, or even episodes uploaded by FUNi?! Sad )
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Yes Funi's re-release of PPD lacks the video notes.

Lucky Rightstuff has the ADV release stuff for about the same price if not cheaper then the re-release.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

Lucky Rightstuff has the ADV release stuff for about the same price if not cheaper then the re-release.
Does Funi's PPD re-release at least have the "Full Text" subtitle tracks? I already knew they didn't have the Vid-notes. It doesn't really matter to me, as I got ADV's singles as they came out, but it's always good to know these things. Also based on the stream, I have to wonder if they kept ADV's subtitle formatting, or if they redid them all "Funi-style."
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
ninjapet wrote:

Does Funi's PPD re-release at least have the "Full Text" subtitle tracks? I already knew they didn't have the Vid-notes. It doesn't really matter to me, as I got ADV's singles as they came out, but it's always good to know these things. Also based on the stream, I have to wonder if they kept ADV's subtitle formatting, or if they redid them all "Funi-style."

ADV did all the production on the Funi releases of Sojitz series. They even followed the normal ADV title breaks, instead of having one long run time with chapters like Funi releases. So more than likely, they retained the ADV subs.
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
From the article:
Quote:
These titles are also available on ANN.

When will the titles become available on ANN? I checked just before posting and didn't see them listed.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote
Has anyone actually been able to watch a stream at Funi recently? I repeatedly get "connection closed" when I've tried to watch both Oh! Edo Rocket and Baccano!. (I've never had problems watching the latter in the past.) Other people on Funi's "community" forums say they can't watch anything either. These problems persist even if I disable plugins like AdBlock Plus. I also got the identical results using Firefox on Linux and IE8 on Win7.

Update (20-Jan - 2330 GMT) The problems seem to have resolved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1