• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fly With the High

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Heavily anticipating Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Already pre-ordered my copy at Amazon so I can get the $10 off for Sky Crawlers. And I still haven't finished the first No More Heroes, so the sequel might just have to wait a little while. Not to mention the RPG pummel in March (Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey).

Save the Gainax vs. Capcom for Gainax vs. Treasure Co. Ltd.. Mahoro versus Marina Lightyears? "Shake shake" indeed. Ikaruga vs. Eva? Gurren Lagaan vs. Bangai-O? You bet! And I've always wanted to beat the living crap out of Shinji as Seven Force. Besides, we haven't seen another Alisia Dragoon in a long time.

And I could've sworn Todd was going to put a barrel roll joke in there somewhere. Alas...

Update Todd: As stated by a Capcom PR in 1Up's Gamenight, the mini-games in the US version have been toned down in favor for the shmup game, so there won't be as many as Mario Party like what you've stated.

Last edited by sfried on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:38 am; edited 10 times in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
(takes a deep breath) OMFG! NO MORE HEROES 2 COMES OUT IN LESS THAN A WEEK!!

Seriously, for me, this is one of 5 planned game purchases for the entire year (the other ones being Pokemon HG, if the new Zelda actually comes out for Wii, Dragon Quest 9, and maybe if Persona 3 PSP comes out), and what's with the "art" being in quotes in the article? Suda 51 is one of the pure definitions of gaming art if you ask me (as is stuff like Team ICO for example).

*edit, I remember the last game I want to buy this year: Puzzle Quest 2. Not Galactrix, mind you, but PQ 2.

Last edited by zawa113 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
How would Speed Racer actually fight?

Also, you can't have a Gainax VS. Capcom. Cause Gendo....doesn't he have that special skill? Where he does his scary shiny-glasses pose without a light source? That can like kill anyone...
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
(takes a deep breath) OMFG! NO MORE HEROES 2 COMES OUT IN LESS THAN A WEEK!!

Seriously, for me, this is one of 5 planned game purchases for the entire year (the other ones being Pokemon HG, if the new Zelda actually comes out for Wii, Dragon Quest 9, and maybe if Persona 3 PSP comes out), and what's with the "art" being in quotes in the article? Suda 51 is one of the pure definitions of gaming art if you ask me (as is stuff like Team ICO for example).
*sigh* Let's not go there...

Too many games nowadays focus on atmosphere and aesthetic presentation but heavily neglect the focus on gameplay. They should stop treating games as movies and start treating them as...well, games.

It's worth noting that many people can appreciate games for their intricacies and complexities, especially with fighting games, which brings us once again to TvC (although admittedly, it won't be as deep as regular SF or KoF).
John Casey wrote:
How would Speed Racer actually fight?
Speed Racer's super would be to run over people. Plain and simple.
John Casey wrote:
Also, you can't have a Gainax VS. Capcom. Cause Gendo....doesn't he have that special skill? Where he does his scary shiny-glasses pose without a light source? That can like kill anyone...
Ah, but that would be blockable. Not to mention all it takes is for one of Zangeif's throws to break them. And don't forget Sagat.

I'd still want a Treasure games crossover fighter, though, and considering how similar they are with Gainax, I'm sure a sort of mish-mash fighting game would be more than appropriate (although knowing Treasure, there would suddenly be a shift in the kind of genre the game plays).
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:54 am Reply with quote
No More Heroes is just a rip off of American film aesthetics. Especially Rodriguez and Tarantino. Yawn....
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
Right on. Something for the hardcore.

I've still got a bunch of the Shonen Sunday's, when Ushio and Tora debuted. Nube as well.

There are still so many more titles and series that people have/will never hear of.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
I'm having a blast with Innocent Aces, but the last boss irks me a little bit. It's not so much the boss impossibly takes so many hits as the arbitrary time limit is so short that I've had the enemy's plane damaged to the point of smoking only to have time run out. Come on, this was a mutually agreed fight to the death. Must there be such a limiting time limit?
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
LondinCalling wrote:
No More Heroes is just a rip off of American film aesthetics. Especially Rodriguez and Tarantino. Yawn....

Wow.

I had some sort of retort but I guess that would be giving this more effort than it's worth.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:57 am Reply with quote
Not to nitpick (actually, I guess I am), but upon my recent replaying of Mass Effect, I noticed the health bar regenerates already. So that wouldn't really be a new feature in ME2 (only reason I know this is that hardcore is A LOT harder than normal).

But wow, I may have to actually buy Ar Tonelico III if/when it comes out in the US. Finally using 3D graphics for the game is commendable, but that looks just a tad too ridiculous for me to pass on. Time will tell.
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
I'll rather have that character in, Ar Tonelico, keep the clothes on, HELL, wear even more clothes... Anime hyper
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:11 am Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
LondinCalling wrote:

Wow.

I had some sort of retort but I guess that would be giving this more effort than it's worth.

Gotta agree there... Not to bring up my slight anti-fanboy idiocy last week but even I at least backed up my disliking.

But to dislike a game because you 'think' it's borrowing elements of american films? And more importantly, it borrows them for a more niche kind of genre... I bet they also think the same thing about House of the Dead: Overkill.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
More over defensive posturing about Sky Crawlers? How boring. All I have to say about that pretentiously hypocritical rubbish is if it's supposed to be deliberately slow and boring, then where exactly is the entertainment value for the viewer? Where does the enjoyment start? I watched that and thought it was just boring, whether that was deliberate or not is pretty much irrelevant. Boring is boring, end of.

I would be interested in playing No More Heroes 2, but given that there's a much better looking version of the first game heading to PS3/360 pretty soon, I think I'll wait until the sequel makes the same console jump.

Also, why is Mass Effect 2 on here? Doesn't really seem to fit with the usual game coverage offered on this site.
Keyl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
Also, why is Mass Effect 2 on here? Doesn't really seem to fit with the usual game coverage offered on this site.

Cause it's bloody Awesome!
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
Ohh Deathsmiles release, hope it does well so it might make it here.

On the reason why DS would be a better licence, it is fairly easy. You select on a stage by stage basis what difficulty you want, limited to only taking a few at low dificulty. That makes it very easy to learn. The vertical scrolling level is fairly sadist tho'; note: your attaks go horizontaly.

Hope they have all the download content (i.e. Mega Black Label).
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote
I'm really rather surprised they're re-releasing Shadow of Destiny. That was the second PS2 game I picked up- largely becuase I discovered my brother was filtching from my graduation cash and I wanted to spend the last of it before it dissappeared. I enjoyed it well enough (I got all the endings), but it's pretty much one big cutscene. I wouldn't have pegged it for a second go-around.

Perhaps if I can get it cheap, I'll pick it up. I know a missed a scene or two, it might be fun to revisit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4