• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, January 17-23

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
I don't understand Vampire Knight at all. Three different volumes on the list, none of them released at the same time (and the first volume was released over three years ago). Naruto only managed to have three volumes because of that Naruto Nation campaign.
game

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
yugioh gx, full metal and naruto FTW
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Man... I really hate this vampire thing... when will it end! Especially since Volume number 1 went up on the list! A three year old book! Is that even possible?
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
lol is there some sort of competition I'm not aware of here? Surprised

Though, the Twilight graphic novel comes out in March, if that counts as anything.
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Knight 9 is hitting the bookstores this week. I expect it'll show up on next week's list too. I wonder if it'll simply add to the ones already there or replace one of them?
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Once Volume 9 is released, 4/10 of the list could possibly be occupied by Vampire Knight. Not to mention the new Naruto volume coming out soon.

Viz sure is putting its eggs in all the right baskets at the moment.
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Once Volume 9 is released, 4/10 of the list could possibly be occupied by Vampire Knight. Not to mention the new Naruto volume coming out soon.

Viz sure is putting its eggs in all the right baskets at the moment.

How is Viz putting all it eggs in one basket;One Piece is on an excellerated schedule and they have numerous titles that appear on the list when released.They probably will eventually speed up Bleach which should do as well for them as Naruto did.

As for Vampire Knight vol.1 appearing on the list ,at the book store I frequent quite a few teenage girls ask the staff if they have volume 1.Even my sister who hates manga has borrowed my books. It maybe Twilight Message boards are giving the series some word of mouth.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote "baskets", which is plural Hi-chan.

I'm happy to see FMA at #1, though its disconcerting that just one One Piece volume is on the list this week, and its at the very bottom.
care2care

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how the chart's going to look like next week. There's going to be like a huge influx of manga coming in on Feb, 2. Hell, I even have 13 volumes I want coming out that day. Especially Ultimo. I really want to read that one.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I'm happy to see FMA at #1, though its disconcerting that just one One Piece volume is on the list this week, and its at the very bottom.

One Piece is only hugely popular online, and the previous week was the first time it ever got past number 7 on the list.

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST IS NUMBER 1! I got it last Sunday and this volume is just completely awesome with the Coup by our heroes starting.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

One Piece is only hugely popular online, and the previous week was the first time it ever got past number 7 on the list.

The irony of this is that those same people praising it online aren't buying it, atleast FMA fans are loyal to there word though
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that my favorite series are on there; Vampire Knight, FMA, Naruto, Death Note, and One Piece. Though they are mainstream, they're pretty damn awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
yblees

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Knight gets really amazing around vol6+.
And vol. 9, which is the end of this story arc, should be coming out next week (earlier than expected too).
I'll bet some people who've been following the scanlated chapters have suddenly decided they need to own the entire set Very Happy

EDIT: Woudn't be surprised if VIZ decides to put out a VK box set for the complete story arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1