• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eden of the East, Working!! Promo Videos Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
This looks pretty neat and I'm glad its not just a retelling of the TV series.

While its nice Funimation got Eden of the East I see this as just another series where they don't bother licensing the rest of like some of their other titles.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
All I am going to say is that Paradise Lost better have someone throwing a mountain at someone then having Jesus descend to throw lightning bolts at people or they shouldn't have named it after the novel Paradise Lost.

In other words I am worried that this movie is going to confuse pretentiousness (naming itself after the english epic about the fall of man, and Satan when it has nothing to do with either) for art.

Any halfwit can name his story after a great epic like Paradise Lost.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I really do hope that Funimation releases the movies. It would be so incomplete without them...

... Oh, who am I kidding? I haven't even finished the last few episodes after the lady sprouted wings and flew away.

"When it has nothing to do with either"? Surely it doesn't need ALL of mankind to fall and Satan in order for the title to be meaningful. I mean, symbolism, man. Symbolism. I'm pretty sure that Paradise Lost is actually much more mellow than throwing mountains and lightning bolts.

Let's just wait and see what Paradise Lost will be about and what will happen. Then we can argue if such a title is appropriate. Fall of the Selecao, maybe? :P
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:
I really do hope that Funimation releases the movies. It would be so incomplete without them...

... Oh, who am I kidding? I haven't even finished the last few episodes after the lady sprouted wings and flew away.

"When it has nothing to do with either"? Surely it doesn't need ALL of mankind to fall and Satan in order for the title to be meaningful. I mean, symbolism, man. Symbolism. I'm pretty sure that Paradise Lost is actually much more mellow than throwing mountains and lightning bolts.

Let's just wait and see what Paradise Lost will be about and what will happen. Then we can argue if such a title is appropriate. Fall of the Selecao, maybe? Razz

My worries is that it's going to be like Evangelion, and Angel Sactuary which pretty much just use the Abrahamic religions not for symbolism or even for inspiration because only 1 percent of Japanese believe in it so they think it's cool.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
All I am going to say is that Paradise Lost better have someone throwing a mountain at someone then having Jesus descend to throw lightning bolts at people or they shouldn't have named it after the novel Paradise Lost.

In other words I am worried that this movie is going to confuse pretentiousness (naming itself after the english epic about the fall of man, and Satan when it has nothing to do with either) for art.

Any halfwit can name his story after a great epic like Paradise Lost.

But this series started with rejumbling "East of Eden" to get "Eden of the East" and it's ending with "Paradise Lost" . All American classics.

Technically, Japan has "fallen" in the series imo.

Not very encouraging for a happy ending to be named "Paradise Lost" imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1