• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Naruto in Wonderland

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
I think something a lot of people don't know about Alice in Heartland that it's based off a popular otome videogame series. It IS a reverse harem. Seeing that it's based off a harem style romance game where the girl has to pick a guy by the end of the story, the premise where it seems like nothing but introductions of pretty boy characters at the beginning makes a lot more sense. The story isn't stellar, but it gets better after the obligatory introductions in later volumes.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
It makes me remarkable upset to see that Tokyopop has changed the gorgeous and simple cover for Deadman Wonderland. I can make some assumptions why they would cut Shiro off the cover, but to add a noisy, ugly (in my opinion, anyway) background? Very frustrating!
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
I liked the Pain arc in Naruto. It was one of the rare times where Naruto actually felt like the hero of his own series.

Dragynstorm wrote:
It makes me remarkable upset to see that Tokyopop has changed the gorgeous and simple cover for Deadman Wonderland. I can make some assumptions why they would cut Shiro off the cover, but to add a noisy, ugly (in my opinion, anyway) background? Very frustrating!

They've been doing that lately. They also gave Future Diary a hideous cover to make it seem darker I guess. Deadman Wonderland's original covers are cool, with each volume alternating white and black. Oh well.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
So is Crows what Cromartie High School is making fun of? Because if it is, I just might want to check it out for the similarities. Not for the fights, though. Never understood why guys get so much enjoyment out of physically fighting one another. They should try settling their differences in the civilized way girls do-gossiping behind each others' backs until your rival is completely friendless. Wink
--------------
Naruto 47 is a real turning point in the series. And while I disagree that "wanting to be a better ninja" is a universal truth, I do think that this volume actually gives Naruto reason to gain some self-esteem, which is a pretty decent goal in a series that rarely features its *own title character*! Kids, read it 'because not only does Naruto *appear* in this volume, he actually does something useful! Razz Kidding aside, the backstory is truly satisfying, and it does leave the reader wanting more...

------------
The Kage Kara Mamoru had me at "aliens who can't even pronounce the name of their home planet"! LOL! If it can be compared more to Gintama than Bleach, I'm sold! (Too bad its out of print...)
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, DrMaster completely fell off the radar after publishing the sixth volume of Lunar Legend Tsukihime (another underrated manga worth checking out) back in February 2009. Since then, they have not published a single thing, made any updates to their website, or even made any comments on their Facebook page (the Forums section of their homepage has been disabled).

I've noticed that, giving me a bad feeling about Dr. Master lately. Tsukihime is what I'm really most concerned about, so here's hoping they have the money to license and distribute the future volumes of this title at least.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
To be fair to CLAMP, Miyuki-Chan In Wonderland is pretty much supposed to be an artbook done Dojinshi-style.

Quote:
They also gave Future Diary a hideous cover to make it seem darker I guess.

Wait, Future Diary isn't dark?
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:

Quote:
They also gave Future Diary a hideous cover to make it seem darker I guess.

Wait, Future Diary isn't dark?

The JPN covers have a white background. For some reason TP changed it to black. Just cost more money for them lol. :/

I was disappointed in the Alice in the Country of Hearts cover change. I loved the JPN cover with all the characters like Peter White, the Queen, and I think Ace was on there too. ;-; WHY TP WHY?! *cries*
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So is Crows what Cromartie High School is making fun of? Because if it is, I just might want to check it out for the similarities. Not for the fights, though. Never understood why guys get so much enjoyment out of physically fighting one another. They should try settling their differences in the civilized way girls do-gossiping behind each others' backs until your rival is completely friendless.

"Crows" and it's squeal series "Worst" are just some of the titles Cromartie is parodying. ANN had a good introduction article on both of these titles last year-ish. I'd also say the title "Sakigake!! Otokojuku" is another series Cromartie is drawing from as it is an old comedy series that ran in Jump about a deliquent high school where everyone look like super beefy adult men and they do all sorts of absurd things. All of these titles are being scanlated, it's worth checking them out just for some back info and history.

Also of note the art is Worst is much better then in Crows, so a lot of the art problems are not present in that as in Crows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Naruto got an A; I really enjoyed this volume. Pain is annoying, but he's a powerful fighter.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Deadman Wonderland DOES get better as you go on, but ultimately, I had to stop reading it. I don't like gross-out series, and this one tries too much to stand out on shock-value alone. It is REALLY violent.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Also, I'm really enjoying Rin-ne so far. True, when it started I was getting a "I've seen this before" vibe, but Takahashi has really done well by injecting a lot of the absurd into it.

There's the Hell that is both a train station AND 1950s sitcom Japan. There's the yodeling ghost in the school poll. There's the offerings of food and pocket change to the weather station that keeps one of the mains going. It's very amusing and clever at the moment.

My only fear is that it'll catch Inuyasha Disease and then drag on for 50 volumes somehow.
Whoomp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
"However, DrMaster completely fell off the radar after publishing the sixth volume of Lunar Legend Tsukihime (another underrated manga worth checking out) back in February 2009. Since then, they have not published a single thing"

Not true, they have published some chinese shojo called Divine Melody regularly since January. It's pretty odd that they chose to release something so obscure rather than continuing their already established series but at least they show signs of life rather than just quietly passing away as Infinity Studio.
mckg1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Deadman wondeland looks interesting. Naruto is getting pretty good pace.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
That Naruto volume is pretty sweet. It's just unfortunate we might not see him in the spotlight again for a good while.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Whoomp wrote:
"However, DrMaster completely fell off the radar after publishing the sixth volume of Lunar Legend Tsukihime (another underrated manga worth checking out) back in February 2009. Since then, they have not published a single thing"

Not true, they have published some chinese shojo called Divine Melody regularly since January. It's pretty odd that they chose to release something so obscure rather than continuing their already established series but at least they show signs of life rather than just quietly passing away as Infinity Studio.

That's good to hear. Still haven't finished getting Iron Wok Jan and High School Girls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2