• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bakemonogatari Vol. 4 Blu-ray Sells 48,000 in 1st Week

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Is it me or is that at this pace the final discs will come before the online streaming of the last episodes?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Vol 4. is what? Nadeko Snake?

Not surprised, that arc looked like such a mess with the TV airing. and SHAFT's repeated signs of "visuals cut due to circumstances"
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Not surprised, that arc looked like such a mess with the TV airing. and SHAFT's repeated signs of "visuals cut due to circumstances"

Hum. The fact that this arc is better than the past ones certainly isn't the cause.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
If this is the volume with episode 10, then the real reason this disc sold 48,000 copies is because of Renai Circulation. :P
Megiddo wrote:
Vol 4. is what? Nadeko Snake?

Did they change the episodes for the disc release like some shows do?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting this. Nadeko Snake was horribly mangled first time round, so it stands to reason that it will benefit from SHAFT's touch-up work the most. Therefore, I'm not surprised in the least that fans are so eager to see what was changed.

egoist wrote:
Is it me or is that at this pace the final discs will come before the online streaming of the last episodes?

At this point I believe that SHAFT has quietly abandoned plans to stream the last two episodes and will only offer them on DVD/Blu-Ray.
domino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I hope buyer behavior like this doesn't encourage more lazy animation in the future.

"We didn't make the show look good the first time around, so please buy the DVDs if you want to see the scene instead of a still image! Now with bonus fanservice!"

The show was so half-assed I'm surprised it's as popular as it is. I guess that's the power of cute characters and Renai Circulation (which is now going on repeat for the rest of the day; I've fallen into their trap).
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Huh? Did you watch Ef - A tale of melodies, domino? This isn't the first time Shaft does that, nor the last. Bakemonogatari wasn't "half-assed", it was done in a rush, well, we all know how busy Shaft was... I don't think they'd do that on purpose and risk losing buyers because they couldn't stand the undone scenes, something every fan complained about. Besides I suppose that by now everyone should be used to the Japanese audience, they'll buy it no matter what, and I doubt stuff like that would work on them. Just look at Haruhi 2.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Damn. Of course I'm still kinda confused about this show. Despite it's hype.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I was expecting this. Nadeko Snake was horribly mangled first time round
Well, I thought episode 11 was fine, but yeah, OP aside, episode 10 could really stand for a touchup.

Quote:
Renai Circulation (which is now going on repeat for the rest of the day; I've fallen into their trap)
I just put the OP segment on loop on my laptop, too Anime dazed
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Well it's good to see the series is selling well.

I need to check out the snake arc again with the new animation seeing as the t.v copy of the episode was bad.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes, kuudere and lolicon kohai w/ skumizu still sells!

Just add in tons of fan service and it will be gold.
domino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Huh? Did you watch Ef - A tale of melodies, domino? This isn't the first time Shaft does that, nor the last. Bakemonogatari wasn't "half-assed", it was done in a rush, well, we all know how busy Shaft was... I don't think they'd do that on purpose and risk losing buyers because they couldn't stand the undone scenes, something every fan complained about. Besides I suppose that by now everyone should be used to the Japanese audience, they'll buy it no matter what, and I doubt stuff like that would work on them. Just look at Haruhi 2.

I watched Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, which had a lot of shaft laziness in there, too. Their poor animation quality is becoming infamous.

To me, "done in a rush" means roughly the same as "half-assed". They did not put in the effort to completely animate scenes, possibly due to time/budget constraints... which is forgivable the first time, but when pretty much every show by the studio has the same quality problems, I think it goes beyond poor planning and into the realm of "screw it, let's just put together whatever we can as cheaply as possible and try to sell it".

I wish buyers would stop supporting these kinds of lazy practices (like Haruhi 2) and go buy a series that actually spent time on animation and storytelling that go beyond "look, cute girls!". Or maybe I should be happy because if Shaft makes some money they might be able to actually animate their future shows instead of making them a mess of still images..?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:

To me, "done in a rush" means roughly the same as "half-assed". They did not put in the effort to completely animate scenes, possibly due to time/budget constraints... which is forgivable the first time, but when pretty much every show by the studio has the same quality problems, I think it goes beyond poor planning and into the realm of "screw it, let's just put together whatever we can as cheaply as possible and try to sell it".

This line of reasoning doesn't make any sense. I does not cost less to animate it poorly the first time then have to reanimate most of the episode the second time. It's inefficient, probably poor planning and putting too much on their plate at once, but definitely not "cheap."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
It's a testament to how good this show was that even the "half-assed" aspects didn't bother me over much. I do look forward to seeing the episodes in their truly finished form, however. I have to assume this will be licensed and released in North America.
Lonecow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching this show last week on a whim, without any preconceived notion of what it was and I'm loving it so far, but I haven't gotten to the snake arc yet so now I'm kind of scared.

It's amazing a sci-fi show that mostly consists of talking is so damn compelling.

I can't believe there are so many haters though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4