• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gallery: Range Murata at the Taipei International Book Exhibition 2010

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
ahh, that guy is like a machine. I have all five issues of Robot out in English, and I would buy more if they ever get over here. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Donpablo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
I wish I could've been there! Also wish they'd bring over more volumes of Robot...
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:24 am Reply with quote
That. Is friggin' awesome. I totally want that computer setup. Thanks for bringing this to us ANN staffers!
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote
I'm not fan of Range Murata, but as an art student, I think that folks at Taiwan are VERY lucky to see step-by-step drawing process of Range Murata. Even though U.S. conventions invite Japanese illustrators and animators to their conventions, I don't know if they did drawing demonstration yet. It would be nice if those guests make presentations of their works through demonstration or samples of animatics. I wish fans here mention that to their local conventions when they invite Japanese guests.

There is one thing that bothered me though, the writer is keep on using the word "Pseudocolor" for drawing demonstration. Granted that the artist used computer to draw his picture, however the word sounds like colors used are false therefore they're not a part of the whole digital painting.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:43 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
That. Is friggin' awesome. I totally want that computer setup. Thanks for bringing this to us ANN staffers!

Actually, the Wacom Cintiq monitor that Murata used costs $2,000. I wouldn't spend that much money on the monitor until my drawing skill improve significantly. For time being, I'm sticking with my tablet.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
There is one thing that bothered me though, the writer is keep on using the word "Pseudocolor" for drawing demonstration. Granted that the artist used computer to draw his picture, however the word sounds like colors used are false therefore they're not a part of the whole digital painting.

Er, I used the term because the hue of applied color(s) could be adjusted freely, much like we've been doing in fluorescent microscopy (my day job) and digital photography (my hobby). Perhaps there's a more precise and appropriate terminology you know?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
Were those copies the fans were holding a new doujin of his?

That presentation was awesome. I've always wondered how he created some of his art. I remember the extras in Blue Submarine it showed him actually painting.

I've just abandoned all hope of ever seeing the rest of the Robot volumes released in English. DMP dropped it after it became a "licensing hell" and it seems Udon Entertainment dropped it for the same reason if what they told me is anything to go by. Not to mention the last volume (10) was released over two years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
Gah, I want one of those wacoms so badly. Still, I've always loved Murata's work and it's awesome to see a demonstration of how he goes about creating those amazing images.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Were those copies the fans were holding a new doujin of his?

Yes. In order to be eligible for his autograph, one has to purchase an "autograph kit," which contains:

1. An autograph board featuring "China dress girl" (specifically designed for TIBE 2010)
2. A carrying bag featuring "China dress girl"
3. Ten DVD-R discs featuring "China dress girl"
4. One limited edition of Robot volume 3
5. One Robot volume 9 (premiered at TIBE 2010)
6. Murata's latest dōjinshi SHANGRI-LA character filegraphy, originally debuted at Winter Comiket 2009 (12/31/09)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kiriska

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Er, I used the term because the hue of applied color(s) could be adjusted freely, much like we've been doing in fluorescent microscopy (my day job) and digital photography (my hobby). Perhaps there's a more precise and appropriate terminology you know?

I don't really have a problem with "pseudocolor," but I do think it might be misleading for those who are unfamiliar with the process. Perhaps "temporary color" or "filler color" would work better? They would then be adjusted to a "final color" at the end.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, amazing O_O
mckg1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I have gatta say he is amazing with his work. I have last exile on my collection. He is someone that loves what he does for a living. Most people don't have a Job that they enjoy, I am glad he puts so much effort in his work!
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Oh I'll gladly give out better suggestions for other readers' sake. No fancy art terms, of course. I would use the words like foundation color to describe his first application of the color. By doing so, it sounds like he is setting up a foundation to add more subtle color layers to enhance details. Which is what he was doing in first place.
I pointed out the word because it sounds more mechanical than organic. "Psedocolor" sounds like some technical jargon that is meant only for pros. When you mentioned "fluorescent microscopy" as your job, I still have no idea what that is because there is no brief description. I don't want to hurt your feeling or anything, but it feels like you're throwing in unnecessary industry/professional jargons to describe something.
TheBigN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Range in action through pictures is great to see. I wouldn't mind watching a video of those 55 minutes in action as well. Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Oh I'll gladly give out better suggestions for other readers' sake. No fancy art terms, of course. I would use the words like foundation color to describe his first application of the color. By doing so, it sounds like he is setting up a foundation to add more subtle color layers to enhance details. Which is what he was doing in first place.

Indeed, "foundation" (cosmetically speaking) might be more user-friendly. You have to forgive someone who had never tried makeup in his entire life for not having that word in his everyday vocabulary. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

What do you think, Zac? Should we change the word accordingly to make it easier for general readership?

reanimator wrote:
I pointed out the word because it sounds more mechanical than organic.

Believe me, I have been handling organs and organelles on daily basis in the past seven years. That's very "organic." Mr. Green

reanimator wrote:
When you mentioned "fluorescent microscopy" as your job, I still have no idea what that is because there is no brief description.

Google is your friend.

reanimator wrote:
I don't want to hurt your feeling or anything, but it feels like you're throwing in unnecessary industry/professional jargons to describe something.

You could call it an occupational disease. Cool

TheBigN wrote:
Seeing Range in action through pictures is great to see. I wouldn't mind watching a video of those 55 minutes in action as well.

I'm afraid that video recording was not allowed for this demonstration.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2