• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canada's YTV Removes Naruto, Bleach From Schedule

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
decepticons2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Its funny/sad how it has turned out for anime on ytv. At one point anime was becoming a corner stone and there was talk for an anime channel. Now almost all the anime has been exiled.

I think ytv has decided the future is crappy realty tv shows aimed at young teens preteens. In a way tv is dead anyway it just hasn't been put out of its misery yet.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
As someone who grew up watching YTV, this is very sad. I watched my first few anime series on it, and would never have heard about it otherwise.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
It's sad. YTV was once one of the Anime frontrunners, with its relationship with Sailor Moon and everything. But after a while the executives destroyed everything.

They started focusing exclusively on Canadian preteens, and when I say exclusively I mean it. They started making all of these lackluster home-grown reality shows, airing almost everything Nickelodeon throws at them, and lots and lots of old sitcoms.

I agree that television is on its way out. I haven't actually touched my television in weeks, and when I do use it I only use it for PS3/Wii anyway. You can practically watch every television show you'd watch on tv online, and you don't have to suffer through ridiculous repeats. Sometimes you end up watching them illegally, but you'd be surprised at how many tv shows are legally streaming online.

Eventually television and computers are going to be combined into one entity. This YTV is just the last remnants of what was once a great television channel for all ages.
Brand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
The main reason a lot of licensed show like anime titles don't get aired so much anymore is that for networks they can make more money with their own intellectual property. While they have to spend the money to produce a show, they can be cheap and make crap reality TV or stuff like the really cheap stuff on Adult Swim. But they also get all the money from commercials, licensed goods, and DVDs. It's not a great trend but with the economy the way it is, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

While I'm in the same boat with you guys, I haven't watch my TV in pretty much forever, it's not dead and will not die for a long time to come. Their are people without computers, in fact there are a lot of people. Much of the working poor or those below the poverty level a computer is still a luxury item. Also I lot of older adults will never touch a computer (my Grandmother can't work a DVD player let alone a computer). So, I don't see TV going away for a long while but do think over the next 10-20 years the way TV works will be vastly different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Triple_Dude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
It's sad. YTV was once one of the Anime frontrunners, with its relationship with Sailor Moon and everything. But after a while the executives destroyed everything.

They started focusing exclusively on Canadian preteens, and when I say exclusively I mean it. They started making all of these lackluster home-grown reality shows, airing almost everything Nickelodeon throws at them, and lots and lots of old sitcoms.

I agree that television is on its way out. I haven't actually touched my television in weeks, and when I do use it I only use it for PS3/Wii anyway. You can practically watch every television show you'd watch on tv online, and you don't have to suffer through ridiculous repeats. Sometimes you end up watching them illegally, but you'd be surprised at how many tv shows are legally streaming online.

Eventually television and computers are going to be combined into one entity. This YTV is just the last remnants of what was once a great television channel for all ages.
Perhaps the TV as a physical entity, but definitely not the Networks--if they're gone, who do you think are going to produce and license the content for people to watch?

I know first hand the kind of crap that YTV shows nowadays--I have a younger 11 year old brother who's glued to the TV day in and day out and he either watches YTV, Teletoon or Family, and all of them seem to be carbon-copies of each other, with a dash of their own proprietary crap sprinkled about.

I still remember when YTV used to show some of the greats, like Escaflowne (hey, I was young when that was on air, so I had no idea it was censored, nor did I even care Razz!).

Well, this is capitalism at its best--the form of entertainment that makes the most money (i.e. appeals the best to the ignorant masses) dominates. Can't complain, clearly one of the reasons that YTV even licensed those anime in-ages-gone-by were that they drew in a large enough viewer-ship at the time, but not anymore (for good reasons; I haven't seen a decent anime in ages). Even Anime these days are a shadow of their former self. Highly commercialized pedantic PoS.

C'est la vie.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
So, I don't see TV going away for a long while but do think over the next 10-20 years the way TV works will be vastly different.

It will be a chip directly implanted into our brain. Each part of the body will have a different function, like pulling the tongue would turn it off, left nipple volume down, right nipple volume up, and so on. Needless to say, even the slightest sexual thought about an under-aged woman will get you into jail for pedophilia.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Nobody watching anime on YTV was surprised about this happening. It was expected ever since YTV moved Bionix from Friday to late Saturday evenings. For the past while YTV had only been airing repeats. YTV did air all the original series of Naruto (up to episode 220) but they never got into Shipputen, although that is available online. So Canadians who want to follow the series legally have been able to. YTV was only up to episode 108 of Bleach (which is as far as they licensed). No doubt their slow pace (sometimes being a year behind the US) helped kill off the fans.

YTV did get a license for an anime channel, but that was back when anime on YTV was hot. Since then they've killed the evening anime on YTV and ended Bionix-on-Demand. There's little hope at this point they'll do anything with the anime channel license that they've been sitting on for the past three years. (It will expire in about 3 1/2 years time.)
decepticons2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The only defense I can find for not showing anime on tv is the type of anime being shown. There are only a few shows I could see being aired.

Even though we live in Canada, which is a little more tolerant of sex. There is way to much fan service. A lot of animes are either way to long (naruto) or feel incomplete (skip beat). And last is most episdoes need to be aired in order.

I wouldn't mind YTV partnering up and making an online anime channel. Maybe putting a few original shows that match anime theme. There must be some money out there to be made.

I realize the anime market has imploded here. The pricing structure supported itself in good days, but not now. Also I am sure we can all remember in the nineties when we were happy to see the three shows on tv and maybe a new vhs tape a month. Now theres probably twenty plus dvds released a month. I am not sure about you but just becasue they make more doesnt mean i am going to buy more.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Part of me died a little inside when I realized that the only anime in this country actually airing new episodes are Pretty Cure, Pokemon, and Dinosaur King. The entire country worth of channels, three shows.

I do have to question some of those reminising about the past, and then saying they no longer watched what YTV was airing because of the internet, since inherently they are part of the reason why the collapse occured. Then again one also has to question why the network didn't try to entice new viewers to watch anime rather then just relying on their (then) current audience. Seriously, YTV made television advertisements solely to promote the block, and not the programming within it.
decepticons2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who was watching bionix had no choice but to go somewhere else. YTV abandoned it years ago. Shortly after they finished the second airing of gundam seed.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, YTV as an anime channel has been dead for ages. This just makes it official.
stararnold

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
This is of course not the first time Canada's YTV removed a plot-driven Anime series from its regual programming schedule before the show's entirety could be shown on the network's airwaves. Remember "Zatch Bell"? I have to say this is a sad weekend for "Bleach" viewers living in Canada as it's a shame that while Viz Media hasn't yet reached the show's final episode (in terms of English dubbing/subbing episodes), "Bleach" ends up removed from YTV's regular schedule.

However, I never believed that a not-for-kids Anime like "Bleach" mixes well with a Youth channel like Canada's YTV. Nevertheless, I hope that another Canadian T.V. network will step in to continue the Anime's Canadian broadcast.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Well this could the fall of Canadian broadcasting already I'm speculating that Bluewater and Ocean Group Studios would go down next as well. This could happen in an year or next year.
The Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Ocean will not go out of business since they are still hired to voice Canadian and American cartoons. Some of the recent Marvel cartoons that feature Ocean voice actors, for example.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:
Well this could the fall of Canadian broadcasting already I'm speculating that Bluewater and Ocean Group Studios would go down next as well. This could happen in an year or next year.

Not likely since they are still hired to voice Canadian and American cartoons.

Well sooner or later it could happened but already I forsee it happening because American cartoons are relying on American VA's than Candians. Some like Erin Fitzgerald left because of she want to expand her career as an voice actress. Already the same for David Kaye to go and continue his career as an voice actor, already he's doing well. Soon Brad Swaile and Scott Mcneil leaning towards the US as well.

Already alot of Canadians VA are think about heading to the US to get competition down the road for the best role in cartoons both American and Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3