• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Maxey Whitehead

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
It's difficult to tell from the first dubbed episode of Brotherhood, but from what I can, her Alphonse seems pretty decent. It feels a little bit subdued, though. Alphonse is more active in the new series, they should have her potted up in sound, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
after watching the first episode of Brotherhood I can say that she sounds almost exactly like the original Alphonse.

The only real difference that I can see is at least to my ears I can tell who was playing the role was female in Brotherhood and Male in the original. Aside the from that sound VERY close.
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I just love how people are responding positively. I never did understand why people were so angry that Aaron couldn't resume his role: it was impossible. And FUNimation, being the professional entity they are, made the best possible decision they could and cast whoever was best for the role (and it was a plus that she can sound exactly like Aaron). Kudos, Maxey!
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think that Maxey did a nice job as Alphonse. She's had expreience at voicing young boys for awhile. So I think she was the best one to fill the part. Plus now I have an image to fit with th name.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I haven't heard her as Alphonse but I loved her as Ellis in El Cazador de la Bruja! Go Maxey you're awesome
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought she did great in the first episode! I laughed so hard when I read that a bowl is what gave Alphonse his tone! Kind of gross that it hasn't been washed though.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a nice humble girl. I'm rather surprised at how well done her young boy voices are, it's rare for it to sound "real" in English dubbing but her voice is probably the best. Hopefully she's cast in more young roles so we don't get any more 40 year old squeaky female voices.
Apashi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
She seems like a really nice person and a good voice actor too. She sounds a lot like Dismuke but not quite enough in my opinion. Dismuke and Alphonse were around the same age when he played the role. You just can't beat a kid playing a kid. It just sounds more natural.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
She did a great job in Brotherhood.

I could definitely hear the differences, but they weren't enough to totally ruin the character.

The only negative things I could think of was that you can tell that the voice sounds feminine. Al does sound more like a girl. Also, his speech rate is much quicker than it was in the original series (he speaks quicker.)

But other than that, she did a great job!
Tratious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I liked her acting as Alphonse it sounded great and I hate english dubs except for a few shows and she made me want to actually watch the english instead of the Japanese seiyuu's I like her and wish her the best in the future.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
I thought she did great in the first episode! I laughed so hard when I read that a bowl is what gave Alphonse his tone! Kind of gross that it hasn't been washed though.

I read what she said as Mike McFarland didn't want it washed in a dishwasher, not that it hasn't been washed at all. I can understand Mike is coming from on that. Dishwashers get rather hot and you could run the risk of the bowl changing shape, thus sound quality, if you ran it through one (though if it's a good enough quality metal bowl it shouldn't do that). Anyway, lets hope McFarland's let someone wash it in a sink, or at least take a cloth with some cleaner to it, or that bowl is going to be in really iffy shape by this point when it comes to cleanliness Laughing .
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it was a great first ep!

Vic was TIGHT! Mustang was NIIICE! And... yeah.

Maxey now has my official respect... Not that I never liked her before, but this interview helped me accept her better.

I do hope for the best for Aaron though!
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm still reserving my judgment concerning her performance as Al - she seemed to waver back and forth between girly to very close to Aaron Dismuke, to me, but when she was good, she was quite good. And really, I need to hear more than just the few lines she had in the 1st ep before I can really say anything anyways. She certainly wasn't bad, though, and I'm pretty confident she'll do well.

I really need to check out the dub for Baccano, too - Firo's voice is really keeping me away from it, well, that and I think the crazy Japanese pronunciations are largely what makes it so funny for me, but from what I've heard, it seems like she was a pretty good Czes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
She did a really good job for a first timer. I could hardly tell the difference.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
She's pretty cute... :3

I also liked her Czes. Even if I hated the character... Anime smallmouth

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
She did a really good job for a first timer. I could hardly tell the difference.

Ahem. She had a few roles line up before this one...including in one of the better shows that's come out recently. Anime smallmouth

Last edited by John Casey on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3