• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Confirms Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei License

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Can't say they were the first people I thought of when it comes to a show like this. I wonder how they'll handle the Japanese humor, or not at all.

And if FUNimation or any other company had wanted this, they'd probably have gotten it earlier. It's been years.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy right now

so is it going to be dubbed? pr sub only release?
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
OMG YES!!!!!

So happy!!! I would not mind if this gets a dub, but I personally think it will do fine without one. Great series, I cant wait to get it!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I've only seen the first eppie of this series, but quite liked it. It is also great to see that some offbeat shows are continuing to get an R1 release. Kudos, MB!
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
It'd be a travesty if they're dubbing Queen's Blade but not SZS.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news Cool My hopeful side wants a dub, but it's probably not going to happen. This is probably the only title where I don't care if I don't get a dub, I just want to own it. I've only watch one episode, but if it is as cool as the manga then I'm happy.

Last edited by leftbehindxp on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
About whether or not it would be dubbed, a while back the licensing of SZS (and Moyashimon as well) was a rumor and John Sirabella said that it was a pretty good rumor and they would be likely to dub SZS (but not Moyashimon).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
About whether or not it would be dubbed, a while back the licensing of SZS (and Moyashimon as well) was a rumor and John Sirabella said that it was a pretty good rumor and they would be likely to dub SZS (but not Moyashimon).

I hope Moyashimon gets licensed, but I really dislike Media Blaster's continued release of singles. That and non-BluRay is why I won't be purchasing Queen's Blade.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Hoody-hoo! I would have preferred a full season set, but still.

Here's hoping that MB provides a signs and/or TL notes subtitle track (for this series, at least, TL notes really are relevant), preferably as a second track to the dialogue subtitles so viewers can toggle them on and off as desired. Sentai had only a single track on its Clannad release, and the couple of times someone included TL notes, they clogged the upper half of the screen. >.<
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Uhm...I hate to be a downer, but I really don't think this was a smart move. Based on past events, this anime is not going to sell well. It's fandom is loud, but quite small. Add in the fact that the dub would not do so good with the humor, if there even is a dub, and I doubt that. Still, if they think they can make money with this, I wish them good luck, but I won't be surprised if they end up canceling it because of very low sales. This type of anime just does not sell well in the USA.

PS: This has nothing to do with me liking or disliking the show. It's just my observation.
Allegro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It's about time. I actually thought that FUNimation would license the show. Hopefully Media Blasters is dubbing this, although I'm not confident given the rather Japanese-centric humor that's prevalent in SZS.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
The humor in SZS is rapid-fire and sometimes subtle so I can see them opting for a separate Translator's Notes section rather than filling the screen with explanatory subtitles. If they dub it I can only wonder what Zetsubou-sensei's catch phrase will be converted to. "I'm in despair" just doesn't have the same kick to it as the Japanese. It's about time this series got licensed for R1 too... what's it been, three years? Rolling Eyes Well, let's hope they put some real effort into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Uhm...I hate to be a downer, but I really don't think this was a smart move. Based on past events, this anime is not going to sell well. It's fandom is loud, but quite small. Add in the fact that the dub would not do so good with the humor, if there even is a dub, and I doubt that. Still, if they think they can make money with this, I wish them good luck, but I won't be surprised if they end up canceling it because of very low sales. This type of anime just does not sell well in the USA.

PS: This has nothing to do with me liking or disliking the show. It's just my observation.

The manga sells fairly well here, why wouldn't the anime?

I mean I'm a fan and I'm buying the DVDs and I'm sure the word will get around seeing as SZS has it's some what medium sized fan base
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:

The manga sells fairly well here, why wouldn't the anime?

I mean I'm a fan and I'm buying the DVDs and I'm sure the word will get around seeing as SZS has it's some what medium sized fan base

Just by looking at MAL, I'd say any show with a score above 8.00 and more than 20k members is probably worth a look at. Compare to something like Wagaya no Oinari-sama, which is a 7.48 and less than 10k. I choose MAL because it seems to have the most people from all aspects of anime fandom.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
A 5 episode disk release isn't that bad. Better then what I was thinking they would do.

Now I just need to order my copy off of rightstuff and I'm set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7