• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Battle Angel Film Planned After Avatar 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote

So I guess we'll have to wait another 10 years right?
And what T&A is he talking about?
I've given up on this ever happening.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

So I guess we'll have to wait another 10 years right?
And what T&A is he talking about?
I've given up on this ever happening.

The reason why Avatar took Cameron so long to make was because he was building the technology to shoot it to look the way he wanted. Now that he's built the cameras and has the programs from the first avatar, I doubt that it's going to take nearly that long for the second chief.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Now that he's built the cameras and has the programs from the first avatar, I doubt that it's going to take nearly that long for the second chief.

and now that he knows how much money he can make ... if it comes out before the end of the year, we shouldn't be surprised.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
As an above poster said, Avatar only took that long to make because James Cameron had to create the technology from scratch. Now that he has the technology, sets, character models, actors, and scripts for an entire trilogy already in place, it should only take another two years or so for Avatar 2 to be made. I fully expect it to be in theatres on or before Christmas 2013.

Battle Angel is a little bit trickier to predict, because the only thing Cameron has in advance is the 3D camera technology. He likes to take his time with his films, but I'm sure Battle Angel will be in theatres before 2020.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Battle Angel is a little bit trickier to predict, because the only thing Cameron has in advance is the 3D camera technology. He likes to take his time with his films, but I'm sure Battle Angel will be in theatres before 2020.

Assuming that he will live that long, yes. You know, just like the actor from Titanic said. Hopefully there won't be such a generic plot next Avatar.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Assuming that he will live that long, yes. You know, just like the actor from Titanic said. Hopefully there won't be such a generic plot next Avatar.

I think the next two movies have the potential to go in interesting directions now that the Avatar world has been established... Anyway that's the thing though, it's supposed to be a trilogy; what are the odds that Cameron's going to go from directing the middle Avatar movie to a completely different project afterward?
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Well if Cameron ever gets around to filming it, it would be nice to see it in my life-time. Anime smile Or at least I hope to see it sometime within the next 2 years or so... is that asking for too much?(maybe) Anime smile + sweatdrop
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Avatar is only the #1 of all time if you ignore Gone with the Wind and Star Wars' inflation-adjusted grosses.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Avatar 2... god, just the sound of it makes me nauseous with thoughts of ego-stroking and budget-blowing.
Monumension

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Patience is a virtue. Cool
redcar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Avatar 2... god, just the sound of it makes me nauseous with thoughts of ego-stroking and budget-blowing.

That's funny, it sounds like making a living to me.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
egoist wrote:

I think the next two movies have the potential to go in interesting directions now that the Avatar world has been established... Anyway that's the thing though, it's supposed to be a trilogy; what are the odds that Cameron's going to go from directing the middle Avatar movie to a completely different project afterward?

Depends on how he films it. He could get all the real life stuff done all at once like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings did and then the CG and editing later For Avatar 2 and 3. Or he could be James Cameron and does whatever he wants. Maybe after Avatar 2 he'll need a creative break from the Avatar world and work on Battle Angel. If he gives at least half of the care and attention for the presentation of Alita as he did for Avatar then I'll be happy. The story to Avatar wasn't anything new and look how it turned out. High hopes here.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. Not sure if want...

If anyone can get the visuals right, it's Cameron.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Avatar is only the #1 of all time if you ignore Gone with the Wind and Star Wars' inflation-adjusted grosses.

That's for inflation-adjusted domestic grosses only. Due to the vagaries of international currencies, there isn't a reliable way to adjust for inflation for worldwide grosses.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

That's for inflation-adjusted U.S. domestic grosses only. Due to the vagaries of international currencies, there isn't a reliable way to adjust for inflation for worldwide grosses.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4