• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Paradiso Lost

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Those are really cool shelves. Not only do they contain lots of good anime, there's the Orange Box, Linux for Dummies and Dream Theater!
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the first two episodes of Durarara, but I'm already in love with it. Even at episode two, it was reminding me of Paranoia Agent... I definitely plan to keep watching it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Ristorante Paradiso seems weird and even border line creepy. A young woman who is in her twenty's being interested in men old enough to be her father and grandfather is just far to strange for my tastes. Even though I really enjoy slice of life usually.

Probably would be 50% more creepier/weird if the main character was a guy and the rest of the cast were old women.

I actually did watch one episode, but obviously won't watch anymore.

Off topic somewhat, but your writing style is slowly improving Erin. Good job and great article.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
A young woman who is in her twenty's being interested in men old enough to be her father and grandfather is just far to strange for my tastes.

I don't know... I know a lot of 20-something girls who really dig older guys. Perhaps not enough to actively persue them... but enough so that their celebrity crushes are guys like Harrison Ford and Bill Murray. Enough so that they've mentioned it once or twice... or enough for me to make fun of them for it. haha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I can see why your husband hates Ristorante Paradiso just from your review. It seems horrible. Durarara seems interesting though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I got to I think episode 2 or 3 on Ristorante Paradiso. Seemed pretty boring fluff, though I dug the italian atmosphere. The reason I ended up dropping it though was when spoiler[one of the waiters was going to cheat on his wife with the main female character, or that was what it alluded to in the episode preview.].

Durarara!!! is entertaining, though it's certainly much slower-paced than Baccano.

I really dug Les Maisons Petit Cubes (or however its spelled), so I'll have to check out those other shorts as well on Crunchyroll.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not enjoying Durarara quite as much as Baccano.While Baccano also had a sprawling ensemble cast and crisscrossing plots, each plot seemed like it actually had a direction. Aside from one episode aboard the Advena Avis, it only had three plot lines, and halfway through the series, you could kind of see where they were going. Durarara has had a new story every episode, and there's clear cross over between them, and I'm sure it will all tie together, but aside from Celty trying to find her head, I have no idea what anyone's intentions are at this point. (I'm up to episode 6, so I haven't seen the Shizuo episode yet)

The pharmaceutical company is up to something devious, but other than that, everyone is just kind of there. Izaya is probably up to something that may or may not be evil. The Slasher seems to have something against Celty, but she has shown up only once. Shizuo is pissed off at Izaya for some reason. Shinra is probably up to no good, but right now, he's just kind of there. Simon is just kind of there. Mikado and company are just kind of there. The four vaguely nerdy characters spoiler[who are members of the Dollars, surprise] are just kind of there. The dude looking for his old crush (and found her) is just kind of there. What's driving the show at this point? Character introductions?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently waiting for Durarara to finish its run on Crunchyroll, because after having sampled the first two episodes I knew there was going to be a lot of crisscrossing. It may not be quite as all over the place as Baccano, but I think I'd like it a lot better if I watched it all in one go.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I'm not enjoying Durarara quite as much as Baccano.While Baccano also had a sprawling ensemble cast and crisscrossing plots, each plot seemed like it actually had a direction. Aside from one episode aboard the Advena Avis, it only had three plot lines, and halfway through the series, you could kind of see where they were going. Durarara has had a new story every episode, and there's clear cross over between them, and I'm sure it will all tie together, but aside from Celty trying to find her head, I have no idea what anyone's intentions are at this point. (I'm up to episode 6, so I haven't seen the Shizuo episode yet)

The pharmaceutical company is up to something devious, but other than that, everyone is just kind of there. Izaya is probably up to something that may or may not be evil. The Slasher seems to have something against Celty, but she has shown up only once. Shizuo is pissed off at Izaya for some reason. Shinra is probably up to no good, but right now, he's just kind of there. Simon is just kind of there. Mikado and company are just kind of there. The four vaguely nerdy characters spoiler[who are members of the Dollars, surprise] are just kind of there. The dude looking for his old crush (and found her) is just kind of there. What's driving the show at this point? Character introductions?

Well, see, the difference is that Baccano was only 13 episodes so it had to cover it's story at the breakneck pace that it did. This is 24, thus, they can lag a little with introducing the characters. I don't mind too much though because each episode is real quality stuff and it's fun to see the easter eggs both of characters inside the show and anime references subtly thrown at us.
zatheus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first six episodes yesterday of Durarara and I am enjoying it so far. It has me hooked because I am just wanting to know more about all the things that are going on in Ikebukuro. I have a feeling its going to be a patch work of stories and around the half way mark things are going to start getting pulled together. Kinda wanting to know more about Harima. spoiler[ Her real head, I'm guessing, is the one in the pharmaceutical company so whose head is on her body now?]

I really need to watch Baccano.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Ristorante Paradiso seems weird and even border line creepy. A young woman who is in her twenty's being interested in men old enough to be her father and grandfather is just far to strange for my tastes. Even though I really enjoy slice of life usually.

I don't think they're old enough to be her grandfather... well, maybe one of them is. Most of them seem younger than Patrick Stewart... or the same age as season one STNG Patrick Stewart.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Probably would be 50% more creepier/weird if the main character was a guy and the rest of the cast were old women.

Hah! Like Skwisgaar in Metalocalypse?

Megiddo wrote:
he reason I ended up dropping it though was when spoiler[one of the waiters was going to cheat on his wife with the main female character, or that was what it alluded to in the episode preview.]

That weirded me out a bit, but they made it clear pretty quickly that spoiler[that guy had been divorced for years and kept wearing his wedding ring to fend off the customers from hitting on him.]

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Off topic somewhat, but your writing style is slowly improving Erin. Good job and great article.

Thanks for the slightly backhanded compliment. I've been writing reviews since 2005, so if you've seen improvements in my writing in the last four months following my take over of the column, then I think my writing is improving much faster than it did before. (Four years vs. four months.) (This particular forum message notwithstanding.)
Koji98

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
These are my shelves including everything from Christmas. I know its small but I'm proud of it. This isn't even 1/4 of the total anime/manga/figure/accesorries that I have on my 'to buy' list, but unless I get something better than $9.25 an hour at 16 years old (Just turned 16), I'll be getting more slowly but surely. Very Happy

$9.25 an hour at 16? Man, I'm 20 and I'm on minimum wage ($7.25). Then again, I live in an area where the cost of living is pretty low, so it's all good.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to watch Dulalala!, but I haven't gotten around to it. I've been hearing good things about it.

Quote:
These are my shelves including everything from Christmas. I know its small but I'm proud of it. This isn't even 1/4 of the total anime/manga/figure/accesorries that I have on my 'to buy' list, but unless I get something better than $9.25 an hour at 16 years old (Just turned 16), I'll be getting more slowly but surely. Very Happy

Hey man, the fact that you're actually paying for some of your stuff at your age (and with your own money no less!) is admirable enough.

My collection is pretty small too, but hey, all in due time, right?
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh what I would have given for $9.25 an hour at age 16. That's flipping awesome. Anyways, nice little collection, good luck in building it. I like the guitar too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
After reading Erin's review of Ristorante Paradiso, I have just this to say: if anybody ever wants to extract information from me, simply hook me up to one of those Clockwork Orange gizmos that doesn't let a person close their eyelids and force me to watch any given 10 minute stretch of Ristorante Paradiso. I guarantee I will sing like a canary.

*shudders*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5